Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2019, 04:36:12 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 12, 2019, 03:17:11 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 12, 2019, 02:35:40 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 12, 2019, 01:46:52 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 12, 2019, 01:06:26 PM
Jeez I dunno about the holding back lads.

Can you really do that in professional sport??

I'd say you can but it's a big risk!! Dublin are doing it at the minute.

Bit of a difference in the National League and 6 nations  ;D

It's not really though the team has already won a few championships and Grand Slams so while most years it is important this time it isn't really. Semi Final is the making or breaking of this team!!

Their intent is to win every game but I think we will see a modified game plan for the World Cup, JS is not revealing his hand. Whereas Eddie Jones had to go for it or he would have been out of a job. I actually think Wales as well are not revealing their full hand.

Still the 6 nations is compelling as always.

As an aside I think Ireland need Joey Carberry to continue his growth and usurp Sexton for Ireland to have a real chance.

The problem with England showing their hand now is that expectations are being ramped up with comparisons to 2003
It is the same crap as with the soccer

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2019/02/12/beat-wales-england-can-start-talked-breath-2003-vintage/
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

Quote from: seafoid on February 12, 2019, 05:02:50 PM

It's not really though the team has already won a few championships and Grand Slams so while most years it is important this time it isn't really. Semi Final is the making or breaking of this team!!

Their intent is to win every game but I think we will see a modified game plan for the World Cup, JS is not revealing his hand. Whereas Eddie Jones had to go for it or he would have been out of a job. I actually think Wales as well are not revealing their full hand.

As an aside I think Ireland need Joey Carberry to continue his growth and usurp Sexton for Ireland to have a real chance.

The problem with England showing their hand now is that expectations are being ramped up with comparisons to 2003
It is the same crap as with the soccer

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2019/02/12/beat-wales-england-can-start-talked-breath-2003-vintage/

And sure what's wrong with that??!!

Insane Bolt

Think England have a straight forward run to the semi finals.....where hopefully they will meet All Blacks. If Ireland can get over SA then they will most likely face Wales in the semi final.

seafoid

Quote from: thewobbler on February 11, 2019, 09:17:10 AM
After a couple of years of gradually losing interest, I'm now all but given up on rugby.

I fell for the game big time 20 years ago. Loved the constant strategic challenge of territory or possession. I loved the fact that the perfect formation seemed to consist of small fat man, tall ungainly men, a handful of testosterone-fuelled athletic freaks, and a couple of less-brave sorts out wide. The respect for referees was astonishing. That men could batter lumps out of each other for an hour and a half, then walk off arm-in-arm, did the heart good. And of course the 4 green fields all on show together at international level.

But if truth be told, it bores me senseless now. It is rugby league of 20 years ago, except with aimless box kicks thrown in at random intervals. It's no longer a game of skill or incision. It's just a series of over-sized, drug-fuelled robots playing a game of patience, waiting for a mistake to happen on the other side, while ensuring you make none yourself.

As a game I cannot see how it can fix itself either. They'll just keep getting bigger and stronger, and everyone will continue to pretend that it's entirely normal for Celtic nations to produce eons of  6' 4", 18 stone, finely tuned athletes.

I do fear that within 20 years, there will be a trend of pro rugby players dying in their early fifties from massive heart failure and brain haemorrhages. It's awful that we will have to wait for this to happen before the game can go back to being fun.

Things are probably  going to get a lot worse before they get worse

More money means more games and bigger players

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/equity-firms-lining-up-to-acquire-slices-of-world-rugby-cake-1.3794306

Equity firms lining up to acquire slices of world rugby cake

Current revenue model of the global game likely to be replaced by new arrangements
about 8 hours ago
Gerry Thornley

CVC Capital Partners – the private equity firm who recently secured a 27 per cent stake in Premiership Rugby Limited – are one of several such firms who are in negotiations with the Guinness Pro14 and other tournaments and Unions around the rugby world with a view to acquiring similar stakes.
Rugby appears to be reaching something of a crossroads, with the current revenue model in the global game, which is largely dependent upon TV rights, set to be replaced by a more streamlined arrangement.
As things stand, rugby has a very fragmented market, wherein the six main unions or federations in Europe sell their autumn internationals to, potentially, six different broadcasters.
The Six Nations is seeking to aggregate their television rights in order to reap a bigger dividend, and are in advanced negotiations over a new collective deal also incorporating their autumn Test matches which could come into place from 2022 onwards.
CVC and other equity and investment parties have also entered the picture like never before, and are talking to Unions and Federations, as well as tournaments, around the world. Equity firms bring another degree of expertise in television and broadcasting rights, and other platforms.
When PRL jumped the gun, selling a 27 per cent share to CVC for a reported €225m to €260m – it assuredly intensified these off-field negotiations, with other tournaments and Unions fearful of falling behind the Premiership's new-found wealth.
But without a crystal ball entering this period of flux – which is liable to run for quite some time – no-one can possibly say how it might all pan out.
That so many outside financial interests are exploring investment in rugby suggest the sport is undervalued, but equity firms are not inclined to invest for the good of a sport's health.
A report in The Guardian last September when PRL were in negotiations with CVC, under the headline "CVC ownership of F1 should serve as a warning to Premiership Rugby", stated that CVC paid approximately €1.24 billion for its majority stake in Formula One in 2006 and over the next decade estimates suggest that it made up to £3.5 billion (€3.1 billion).
A fortune
In 2014 it is reported they took in €307.5m from a turnover of €1.1b, at that point representing a return on investment of more than 350 per cent.
According to the report, CVC employed Bernie Ecclestone to continue running F1, and state-backed venues willing to pay a fortune for the PR value of hosting F1 left the classic European tracks repeatedly making a loss and, in cases such as Silverstone and Monza, in danger of bankruptcy. In switching from free-to-air TV to more lucrative pay-per-view deals, F1's worldwide audience has fallen by 137 million since 2010.
Amid the manifold off-field discussions which are taking place World Rugby, and primarily its vice-president Agustin Pichot, are striving to bring into fruition a World Nations League. This plan would have the Six Nations and Rugby Championship be retained, but along with June and November windows would become part of the proposed annual league, culminating in semi-finals and a final.
The Six Nations are reluctant to see its tournament become part of a global TV broadcasting arrangement, thus potentially diminishing its share of revenues from European rugby's flagship event and its historical status as a standalone tournament, as well as devaluing the World Cup.
The Six Nations are understood to be in advanced discussions regarding a proposal to pool the broadcasting rights of all their home fixtures – including the Six nations and autumn Tests – in order to increase their value. This would also, most likely, constitute a pre-emptive strike against the proposed World Nations League.
It would seem safe to presume that such a proposal for aggregated TV rights would see at least some of the Six Nations move from free-to-air to a subscription-based model. The current six-year deal with the BBC and ITV in the UK for television rights to the Six Nations doesn't expire end until 2022, so any new deal could not come into being until then.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Interesting Dinny. I've suspected this for a while myself but when I've suggested it to others who know more about rugby than I do I've been laughed out of it. I think Sexton's performances have dipped for a while now.

Hardy

Give a man a reputation as an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon.
- Mark Twain.

Walter Cronc

Jeez lads. Go after Murrays form if you are going to go after anyone.

Dan Carter wasn't tearing up any trees prior to 2015.

Not saying we are going to win it this year but JS is the man and Joey the perfect replacement at this stage.

AZOffaly

Walter Cronc

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 15, 2019, 09:26:40 AM

Interesting Dinny. I've suspected this for a while myself but when I've suggested it to others who know more about rugby than I do I've been laughed out of it. I think Sexton's performances have dipped for a while now.

Time waits for no man, Sexton good player, good control but plays on the line and pays the price with his body. We are guilty in this country of keeping our sporting hero's around past their sell by date. Carberry plays on the line too as do all Leinster schooled 10s but his range of passing is superior and his eye for a gap much better, he if can get more control and better defensively while improving his out of hand kicking he will offer more than Sexton.

People are afraid of change, why was Carberry sent to Munster by JS. Part of a bigger picture, bigger plan. If Sexton is our only option in the WC we won't make it past the quarters.
#newbridgeornowhere

johnnycool

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 15, 2019, 01:13:01 PM

Time waits for no man, Sexton good player, good control but plays on the line and pays the price with his body. We are guilty in this country of keeping our sporting hero's around past their sell by date. Carberry plays on the line too as do all Leinster schooled 10s but his range of passing is superior and his eye for a gap much better, he if can get more control and better defensively while improving his out of hand kicking he will offer more than Sexton.

People are afraid of change, why was Carberry sent to Munster by JS. Part of a bigger picture, bigger plan. If Sexton is our only option in the WC we won't make it past the quarters.

Sexton faced similar issues when up against O'Gara.

O'Gara was the safe pair of hands who controlled the game with his kicking but lacked that bit of vision with the ball in his hands. He'd been there and worn the teeshirt though and the bright, young thing in Sexton had to wait his time to win the No. 10 jersey.

Post WC, I can see Carbery as first choice.

GetOverTheBar

Sexton will be the 10 at the W.C barring any kind of injury. He still is ahead in nearly every aspect.

That said, Sexton is likely to be targeted as normal - makes sense for his heir to be ready.

AZOffaly

I think Sexton is mad to still be playing. Did he fail another HIA at the weekend?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on February 15, 2019, 03:50:09 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 15, 2019, 01:13:01 PM

Sexton faced similar issues when up against O'Gara.

O'Gara was the safe pair of hands who controlled the game with his kicking but lacked that bit of vision with the ball in his hands. He'd been there and worn the teeshirt though and the bright, young thing in Sexton had to wait his time to win the No. 10 jersey.

Post WC, I can see Carbery as first choice.

Ahead of Jackson?  :-X
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Cooney must be in the mix somewhere too