Passport Dispute

Started by David McKeown, May 25, 2010, 10:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Going away on holiday in the middle of June with a group of friends.  One of them doesnt have and has never had a passport so about 4-5 weeks ago they applied for an Irish passport via the passport express service.  About 10 days after sending the application, it is returned to him as the photos aren't right.  He immediately goes out and gets proper photos and re-submits.  Now with the strike hes not sure if hes going to be able to go on the holiday.  Anyone any recent experience with the passport office that could offer some advice.  Would he be served going down and seeing them and/or bringing proof of travel.  I know a few years back I went down on a Monday with proof I was flying on a Wednesday and as a result they had the passport for me on the Tuesday but I don't think theyd do that now
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

mournerambler

I personally had cause to go to the Passport office for my own Passport renewal 4 years ago, as long as he has proof of travel he should be able to get it on the same day, I left my forms in at 9am & was told to come back at 4pm & it would be ready, I had to pay an extra fee as far as I can remember but I got sorted thankfully.

TacadoirArdMhacha

David your quandry has reminded me of this epic thread.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=9024.0

RIP ONL.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

fingerbob

How long does it take to get an Irish passport back after sending the application? Goin away on the 20th of July and will be sending the application on Friday. First Irish one too.

Hank Everlast

I sent the childs away last week, ye can track it's progress on line. The estimated time is 22 working days!

fingerbob

Quote from: Hank Everlast on May 25, 2010, 11:43:50 PM
I sent the childs away last week, ye can track it's progress on line. The estimated time is 22 working days!

Should be plenty of time then, nice one, cheers!

David McKeown

Quote from: mournerambler on May 25, 2010, 11:12:36 PM
I personally had cause to go to the Passport office for my own Passport renewal 4 years ago, as long as he has proof of travel he should be able to get it on the same day, I left my forms in at 9am & was told to come back at 4pm & it would be ready, I had to pay an extra fee as far as I can remember but I got sorted thankfully.

Yeah I had something similar although there are two problems with this in our case, first this isnt a renewal and secondly the website says they wont do this at the minute unless theres death or serious ill health of a family member requiring travel.
Quote from: fingerbob on May 25, 2010, 11:48:56 PM
Quote from: Hank Everlast on May 25, 2010, 11:43:50 PM

Should be plenty of time then, nice one, cheers!

Should be but my mate reckons everytime he gets closer to that estimated time it keeps getting extended.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

The Real Laoislad

I sent my application in about 6 weeks ago, every time I log on to track the progress it says " Applicaton has been registered" which basically means it has been logged in the system but nothing done with it yet.
I don't need it till September so not that worried yet but still I thought it be sorted by now
You'll Never Walk Alone.

GaillimhIarthair

Applied for a passport for our little fella (1 year old) about 4 weeks ago and got the passport on Tuesady this week.  I know from checking it online that it was on status "Application has been registered" until late last week and then it progressed to "Printed" status and was finally posted out 2 or 3 days later.  Its no harm to give the Passport office a call but be prepared to be on hold for an eternity until someone finally takes the call.  It does state on the website now that the current time to process a passport application is about 25 days assuming all paperwork is correct.  Up until mid last week the processing time advised was 21 working days. 

hound of ulster

with passport express its taking about 4 weeks at the minute.

the waffler

waiting on passport renewal going start of July 25 days wait on passport express but still only registered on the tracker doesn't look good as they said could take up to ten weeks on normal service

Tyrones own

I think they'll still issue you an emergency passport with proof of travel docs,
I went to the embassy and got mine one time on the morning of travel day.
It was just a piece of paper with the photo on it but it got the job done!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

illdecide

Lads I'm renewing my passport at the minute and have everything ready to go, the problem is I'm not overly happy with the photos (no smart remarks please). I believe the photo was taken standing too far away from the camera and if it goes and they reject it and send it back to me by the time i get them retaken and the details sent over again i may miss my trip to Barcelona (the chemist reckon the photos are OK but i don't)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

the waffler

the chemist should have a youk for checking the photos with lines to line up your mug make sure they re 100%

illdecide

Quote from: the waffler on May 27, 2010, 03:37:48 PM
the chemist should have a youk for checking the photos with lines to line up your mug make sure they re 100%

Aye he did use it and said it was ok but when i got home and checked them they're border line and could as easy be turned down as passed ???
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch