Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Would you even want him back anyway? Seems like a bit of a an upstart. Bans for biting, multiple breaches of discipline. It's all well and good saying he was a decent minor. He's on his way to being a wayward man by sounds of it.

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 22, 2020, 10:08:14 AM
Would you even want him back anyway? Seems like a bit of a an upstart. Bans for biting, multiple breaches of discipline. It's all well and good saying he was a decent minor. He's on his way to being a wayward man by sounds of it.

::) ::) ::)

Yeah it's not as if we could do with the biggest prospect that has came through the county since Sean Cavanagh.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GetOverTheBar

You obviously didn't see him on his recent appearances over last few years for Eglish.

BennyHarp

Yeah, lets not even give him a chance. Mobilise all the nutjobs immediately with pitchforks at Garvaghy to stand guard just in case he tries to join the county set up.
That was never a square ball!!

time ticking away

Quote from: Angelo on June 21, 2020, 07:35:44 PM
Quote from: time ticking away on June 21, 2020, 01:52:52 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 21, 2020, 01:42:13 PM
A lot of reports of McKenna getting a lenghtly AFL ban for breaches in relation to contracting Covid. Many people calling for his contract to be torn up and deporting him.

Given all the controversy over him in the past 12 months I think it's looking more likely he could back with Tyrone in the very near future.

Sounds to me that you would be happy if he got kicked out of the AFL

I'd imagine most Tyrone fans would be absolutely delighted to have McKenna back lining out for the county.

That's not what I said
I would love to see him playing for Tyrone if and when he decides to come home.
You would seem to hope he gets kicked out of a lifestyle he has chosen just so you can be happy
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Angelo

Quote from: time ticking away on June 22, 2020, 06:11:27 PM
A lot of reports of McKenna getting a lenghtly AFL ban for breaches in relation to contracting Covid. Many people calling for his contract to be torn up and deporting him.

Given all the controversy over him in the past 12 months I think it's looking more likely he could back with Tyrone in the very near future.

I'd imagine most Tyrone fans would be absolutely delighted to have McKenna back lining out for the county.

That's not what I said
You would seem to hope he gets kicked out of a lifestyle he has chosen just so you can be happy

I'm not God. I have no controls over these things. What happens will happen but I'd be delighted to see him back in a Tyrone jersey.

Are you trying to imply that I'm practicing voodoo magic on McKenna or is there another reason behind this bizarre point you're attempting to make?

time ticking away

Quote from: Angelo on June 22, 2020, 06:22:10 PM

That's not what I said

I'm not God. I have no controls over these things. What happens will happen but I'd be delighted to see him back in a Tyrone jersey.

Are you trying to imply that I'm practicing voodoo magic on McKenna or is there another reason behind this bizarre point you're attempting to make?
I'm curious as to why you would wish bad things to happen someone who in theory you should be happy for.

But maybe its because you are not a nice person.

Who knows ?

Angelo

Quote from: time ticking away on June 22, 2020, 07:40:29 PM

That's not what I said

I'm curious as to why you would wish bad things to happen someone who in theory you should be happy for.

Who knows ?

Commenting on incidents that are actually happening is some way away from wishing bad on someone. This is incredibly weird behaviour by yourself.

time ticking away

Quote from: Angelo on June 22, 2020, 09:08:40 PM

That's not what I said

Who knows ?

Commenting on incidents that are actually happening is some way away from wishing bad on someone. This is incredibly weird behaviour by yourself.

Incredibly weird ?

Ok

Angelo

Quote from: time ticking away on June 22, 2020, 10:51:42 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 22, 2020, 09:08:40 PM

That's not what I said

Who knows ?

Incredibly weird ?

Ok

Apology accepted.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 22, 2020, 02:12:41 PM

Yeah, lets not even give him a chance. Mobilise all the nutjobs immediately with pitchforks at Garvaghy to stand guard just in case he tries to join the county set up.

Firstly he has now since retested....negative. Which in itself poses even more questions of this whole virus.

But not without causing god knows how much headache and financial strain on the AFL, let alone his club. He's tested negative but all the reports are he's been to house viewings (so that in itself might just kill any hope of him coming home) and travelling in and out of Australia with questions being asked of his dedication to the quarantine period.

He was an outstanding minor SIX years ago. Yes he's a professional athlete, but in effect, now too are GAA players. Not much point hoping he decides to give up being a paid athlete especially after seeing what has happened with McShane when we would be safer getting behind the men that are there right now and to come through in the next year or two such as Canavan etc.

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 23, 2020, 09:33:41 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 22, 2020, 02:12:41 PM

Firstly he has now since retested....negative. Which in itself poses even more questions of this whole virus.

But not without causing god knows how much headache and financial strain on the AFL, let alone his club. He's tested negative but all the reports are he's been to house viewings (so that in itself might just kill any hope of him coming home) and travelling in and out of Australia with questions being asked of his dedication to the quarantine period.

He was an outstanding minor SIX years ago. Yes he's a professional athlete, but in effect, now too are GAA players. Not much point hoping he decides to give up being a paid athlete especially after seeing what has happened with McShane when we would be safer getting behind the men that are there right now and to come through in the next year or two such as Canavan etc.

But is he happy? He's been very public on his homesickness and he's been very public on his ambitions to return and play for Tyrone, he gave an interview to the BBC there when he was back in March when the virus shut the AFL season that he thinks he will be back in the next year or so.

"I will be home in the next few years," McKenna said..

"Whether it's this year or next year I'm just not sure at the minute.

"I've always had the idea I'd like to return home to Eglish and if good enough, for Tyrone. It's been five-and-a-half years now and I always think about the opportunity to come back.

I think his contract expires at the end of the 2021 season but given all the turmoil surrounding himself and the AFL at the minute, his homesickness, the wage reductions of AFL players, the controversy and flak he is getting as a result of the testing positive for the virus (which turned out to be a negative), it may well hasten his decision.

He was looking at leasing a house, I don't see anything unusual about that - his current lease was coming to an end and I'm sure with the AFL season just about to restart he was committed to finishing out the season anyway.

I think with all that is happening with McKenna in the past 12 months the possibility of him returning to Tyrone are looking more encouraging which would be fantastic news for Tyrone GAA.

Out of interest how many Irish lads are actually doing well for themselves there?

Tuohy and Hanley forged good careers for themselves there, McKenna is probably the most successful after them and the Kerry lad O'Connor seems to have done well.

How has Glass got on?

Generally it's only the failures that return, Kennelly came back for a year and won an All Ireland and all star with Kerry, Marty Clarke came back for a year and was probably the best player in the Championship, leading Down to an AI final and winning an all star. The small sample of the players who made it there who returned seem to have settled back in very well.

GetOverTheBar

It takes an awful lot to go your way as an Irishman trying to make it in the AFL. While the concept of the game is the same, you only have to look at the International Rules (back when Australia put out their best) when the Aussies kicking of the round ball was just not natural, so for McKenna to go there and do what he has done is absolutely exceptional and a credit to him as well as getting used to the tackle which he'd have had no experience of whatsoever - Unless he played a bit of rugby as a youngster, I'm not sure.

Conor Glass has done alright, wouldn't say he set the world on fire but he played a right few games last year. He's a few years younger than McKenna so you'd be expecting for him to really step up and push through this season. Conor Nash has been with him at Hawthorne.

If you remember back to the year Kennelly came back, as the undoubted best export he wasn't great....he was physical, sure. But skill wise he was just about alright. I think he got lucky, he wasn't winning the All Ireland at many other counties I would say.

I wouldn't call them failures by any stretch but it's been hard for most to come back from the AFL and be successful - Kennelly and Clarke you are right, Ciaran Sheehan was doing rightly too there this year....although Cork have no business being in Division 3. Colm Begley was another who came back into county football well. Probably could put Caolan Mooney on the successful comeback list too.

You could then look at Dyas, Niall McKeever, O'Reilly, Ciaran Byrne, Tommy Walsh....it really is 50/50.

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 23, 2020, 10:32:27 AM
It takes an awful lot to go your way as an Irishman trying to make it in the AFL. While the concept of the game is the same, you only have to look at the International Rules (back when Australia put out their best) when the Aussies kicking of the round ball was just not natural, so for McKenna to go there and do what he has done is absolutely exceptional and a credit to him as well as getting used to the tackle which he'd have had no experience of whatsoever - Unless he played a bit of rugby as a youngster, I'm not sure.

Conor Glass has done alright, wouldn't say he set the world on fire but he played a right few games last year. He's a few years younger than McKenna so you'd be expecting for him to really step up and push through this season. Conor Nash has been with him at Hawthorne.

If you remember back to the year Kennelly came back, as the undoubted best export he wasn't great....he was physical, sure. But skill wise he was just about alright. I think he got lucky, he wasn't winning the All Ireland at many other counties I would say.

I wouldn't call them failures by any stretch but it's been hard for most to come back from the AFL and be successful - Kennelly and Clarke you are right, Ciaran Sheehan was doing rightly too there this year....although Cork have no business being in Division 3. Colm Begley was another who came back into county football well. Probably could put Caolan Mooney on the successful comeback list too.

You could then look at Dyas, Niall McKeever, O'Reilly, Ciaran Byrne, Tommy Walsh....it really is 50/50.

Dyas and Walsh both tore their hamstring off the bone while in Australia, can be a career ender for some players. I thought Dyas was outstanding in the 2014 season where Armagh knocked Tyrone out and very nearly took Donegal too which would have put them in an AI semi final against Dublin. His knees gave out on him after that.

The likes of McKeever and Byrne went back to Div 3/4 counties and just didn't have the hunger for it.

Was O'Reilly ever that good?

McKaigue also had a spell in the AFL and has been a very impressive performer on a poor Derry team, O'Boyle never really looked the part for Derry but is he a similar case to O'Reilly?

Angelo

Kildare are probably the county who have been hit the most in recent years by the AFL.

Flynn went and came back and looked a star forward after his stint in Australia.
Cribben has also been very impressive for Kildare since returning.
Brophy was quite a big prospect before he left but hasn't looked anything special since returning.
They also lost Hurley who I can remember destroying Tyrone in a league game at Newbridge, he went to the AFL but returned fairly quickly and hasn't made a return to the county fold but I think he's had some big injury issues.