The Open 2017

Started by Boycey, July 17, 2017, 01:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

If only we could all be as grown up as Hardy, then the British Isles would be a better place.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

trueblue1234

Quote from: Boycey on July 18, 2017, 12:56:35 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 18, 2017, 11:04:55 AM
Quote from: Hardy on July 18, 2017, 10:59:43 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 18, 2017, 10:24:04 AM
Let's not have this discussion.

It's the Open Championship because it's the original open championship in golf. It's entitlement, not a sense of entitlement.

Ah no. Let's have it anyway. I'll put the argument for the opposing view. It's another (OK, tiny) example of the cultural imperialism that makes a security guard at Manchester Airport feel free to abuse Irish people on the assumption that the British way of doing things is right by default and the Irish one wrong for the same reason. Even though the truth is the opposite. 

Only, in that case, Seanie's wife not being a forelock-tugging peasant who would stand for such shite, the casual assumption of superiority wasn't facilitated by the responding cultural cringe that compels some Irish people to refer to the Irish army, for instance, when they mean the army - our army. Or the mainland, when they mean Great Britain. Or even to think the term 'Great Britian' means that the UK state is great.

There - whooda thunk the name of a golf tournament was related to the behaviour of a security man? Everything's connected.
But Boycey's from NI, so by that logic would he not be OK to say the Open?  ;)

I'm appalled that someone could think I'm from NI unless you think Ulster and NI are the same thing  ;D.

If I'd put the thread up any other week I probably would have called it 'The British Open 2017' just to distinguish but I think this week it's obvious what I'm talking about. Boylesports have coupons for 'The Open Championship' Sky certainly think that's what it's called, even the US PGA App agrees..

Rory probably calls it the British Open though?

Sky's live show in the afternoons was brilliant yesterday, John Rahm playing out of green side bunker with a 4 iron and Padraig being Padraig.. fantastic entertainment..

Thought you were from Arma? Sincerest Apologies in that case.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

magpie seanie

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 18, 2017, 01:22:31 PM
Luckily The Queen isn't opening The Open or there would be hell to pay.

She's probably at the Derby or the Grand National.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 19, 2017, 01:26:37 PM

Or the Cup Final.

Boycey

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 19, 2017, 01:28:19 PM

Or the Cup Final.

Or Royal Ascot, am I allowed called it Royal or does that make me too much of a West Brit ;)

Orior

Quote from: Boycey on July 19, 2017, 01:32:04 PM

Or the Cup Final.

Or Royal Ascot, am I allowed called it Royal or does that make me too much of a West Brit ;)

I don't think it is being anti-british to suggest that the Open should be called the British Open. This clearly distinguishes it from the US Open.

Yes, when the British Open was first played, there was only one Open. But times change. Stadium names change. Even the name for the Lions has changed.

screenexile

Quote from: Orior on July 19, 2017, 01:45:47 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 19, 2017, 01:32:04 PM

Or the Cup Final.

I don't think it is being anti-british to suggest that the Open should be called the British Open. This clearly distinguishes it from the US Open.

Yes, when the British Open was first played, there was only one Open. But times change. Stadium names change. Even the name for the Lions has changed.

I think why do people even care if it's "The Open" or "The British Open" . . . everyone knows what you mean either way it's said so how is this being discussed for 3 pages??!!

Milltown Row2

typical shite as usual!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

heganboy

slightly related- the mainland cracks me up.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

magpie seanie

To me it was always the British Open. I knew there was an Irish Open, US Open etc. Calling it "The Open" seems wrong to me and if I'm honest smacks of the British superiority complex to me.

Boycey

I've been attempting to talk about the golf but haven't got many takers, so if you can't beat them join them  :D

Still a brilliant event whatever you like to call it, I've been several times and was checking flights yesterday in case one of the Irish guys (or Rory ;D) makes a run at winning it.

mouview

Might have a flutter on Noren, Adam Scott and Ousthuizen.

screenexile

Said I wouldn't bet on it as it's burned me too many times but nostalgia and a great round on Sunday has me back Paddy e/w @ 60s. Would be great if he could do something!

magpie seanie

Harrington has played decently for a few weeks now......just hasn't managed 4 good rounds on the one weekend.

Orior

Quote from: Boycey on July 19, 2017, 02:36:10 PM
I've been attempting to talk about the golf but haven't got many takers, so if you can't beat them join them  :D

Still a brilliant event whatever you like to call it, I've been several times and was checking flights yesterday in case one of the Irish guys (or Rory ;D) makes a run at winning it.

So what's wrong with the official golf thread? lol