?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

tonto1888

Quote from: screenexile on July 20, 2017, 01:16:10 PM
Just curious when you say the broad black brimmer of the IRA can't be seen as sectarian? If you speak to any Protestant I'm fairly sure they would see that as sectarian and why should football supporters be singing songs about the IRA?!

Also if you think the picture of the 'volunteer' is ambiguous because the GB made it that way you're patently wrong. It looks like a paramilitary soldier and in that case why is it at a football match?!

I say it's not sectarian because it's not sectarian. Look at the lyrics. Tell me where I'm there are any sectarian lyrics. Context has nothing to do with it

JimStynes

Disappointing but not surprising! Celtic have a lot of sc**bag followers as well. Just wish they wouldn't have stooped to the level of last week. Jamie and the lads were just dying for Celtic fans to f**k up.

tonto1888

Quote from: JimStynes on July 20, 2017, 02:10:19 PM
Disappointing but not surprising! Celtic have a lot of sc**bag followers as well. Just wish they wouldn't have stooped to the level of last week. Jamie and the lads were just dying for Celtic fans to f**k up.

There's a quare difference between what happened last night and what happened at Windsor.

Hectic

Where to start.

The easy stuff first I suppose. The Broad Black Brimmer is as sectatian as The Boys of the Old Brigade, Flower of Scotland, Willy McBride etc.

The Green Brigade. They bring great colour and noise to the stadium but I wish they would stop flying so close to the sun, especially since their actions reflect on all of us. Yes they might have covered themselves in their own minds with the displays but that will not wash with UEFA and what was the point of them anyway?

Linfield are no marks, their supporters have a large proportion of neanderthals among them. Why do the GB feel it is necessary to head off in their direction?

I have been in the GB section at matches and the majority of them I would call kids. That is maybe me showing my age but I kbow when I was that age the things I thought were a laugh I would not be at now. I think this contributes to the difficulty in getting across to these guys the consequence of their actions.

Why not banners highlighting the bad governance of the SFA/SPFL over the last decade plus. This might have more of an impact than paying the Linfield support the complement of meeting them on their terms.

I wonder with that approach would the Scottish Mainstream Media be as quick to splash it all over their pages. I would like to see any future banners be on real issues like this and lets see if the attention on them is as great then.

bennydorano

There is no need for the nonsense or defending it either.

Kilkevan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 20, 2017, 01:51:39 PM
Quote from: ned on July 20, 2017, 01:41:39 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 20, 2017, 01:16:10 PM
Just curious when you say the broad black brimmer of the IRA can't be seen as sectarian? If you speak to any Protestant I'm fairly sure they would see that as sectarian and why should football supporters be singing songs about the IRA?!

Also if you think the picture of the 'volunteer' is ambiguous because the GB made it that way you're patently wrong. It looks like a paramilitary soldier and in that case why is it at a football match?!

Who the f**k cares what somebody or other THINKS is sectarian. The BBB is not sectarian.
It is within the context in which it was used. This is the same argument you get from themmuns about the Famine Song/Sloop John B etc. "Sure it's just a traditional folk tune". Which it is. When it is played to get a rise out of the other side it is sectarian.

The Famine Song is patently not a non-sectarian song. It accuses Irish people of, among other things, being unwashed, thieves, incestuous paedophiles and is entirely about wanting Irish immigrants to go back to Ireland. Now, I might get torn down here for saying this but The Sash My Father Wore is not sectarian, or at least if one claims it to be sectarian then they must also acknowledge the same argument about La Marseillaise, the Star Spangled Banner or Amhrán na bhFiann. The Sash does not overtly mention Catholics or anyone else. It is a song reflecting on battles which many people believe, rightly or wrongly, defended their heritage and history. That Kick The Pope bands use it is a different argument entirely as they are set up solely for sectarian purposes.

In the same way The Sash is not sectarian, the BBB is not. Nowhere does it refer to Protestants or anybody else. It merely reflects on the history of the Irish struggle for freedom.

UEFA is a completely hypocritical organisation as, on the one hand, it states politics must not be brought into football but on the other hand it brings geopolitical issues into the equation all the time. Prime examples include the farce of Israel playing in Europe. Israel is not a European nation, it's wholly and entirely in Asia. If it has problems playing other Middle Eastern teams, that's it's own problem. To add to this, UEFA allows the Israeli flag and other symbols but bans anything Palestinian. That's a nonsense as Palestine has as much claim to be European as Israel if it pursued it, i.e. none. Now UEFA would claim Palestinian flags might offend one of its members... Yet it has no issue with Catalan flags, for example, being used by Barcelona, which like it or not could offend another of its members, namely Spain. Then, to top it all, it bans the poppy yet allowed commemoration shirts for the Rising. I don't wear the poppy and never would, I do wear a lily, but you can't forbid one and allow the other. UEFA deals in horsesh1t, is a corrupt as f**k and makes up its rules as it goes along. This isn't going to stop Celtic getting into trouble but it's complete b*llocks.

Kilkevan

Quote from: T Fearon on July 20, 2017, 01:01:08 PM
WTF has the IRA got to do with Celtic, as it says in its mission statement (printed in every match programme) "a Scottish (ie British) Club proud of its Irish roots,and without any political agenda" That means people are using the club,without its approval and contrary to its desire,to promote political views.

As one who attended both Linfield fixtures I now believe it would have been better if away fans had been excluded from both fixtures.

This is the whole ownership argument. Who "owns" Celtic? Legally it's the board of directors, in reality it's the fans. Celtic existed long before this current board of directors and will continue long after they're gone. On the other hand, Celtic would quickly find themselves in difficulty if fans boycotted the club for some reason.

It's a long story why they're my club but if Inter's new Chinese owners decided, let's say because red is very Chinese, that our new shirts should swap blue for red and black stripes there's nothing to stop them, as the legal owners of the club. I'd hazard a guess they'd change their tune fair quickly though as Interisti everywhere would boycott match tickets, PPV TV, merchandise etc. until they copped on.

SHEEDY

for anybody who wants to see what the fuss is about......no problem with it myself.

https://youtu.be/do4WkvAUVxI
nil satis nisi optimum

Gabriel_Hurl

dec

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 20, 2017, 08:54:31 PM
for anybody who wants to see what the fuss is about......no problem with it myself.

So who is the guy in the beret, sunglasses with the mask pulled over his face?

Main Street

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 20, 2017, 06:39:02 PM

UEFA is a completely hypocritical organisation as, on the one hand, it states politics must not be brought into football but on the other hand it brings geopolitical issues into the equation all the time. Prime examples include the farce of Israel playing in Europe. Israel is not a European nation, it's wholly and entirely in Asia. If it has problems playing other Middle Eastern teams, that's it's own problem. To add to this, UEFA allows the Israeli flag and other symbols but bans anything Palestinian. That's a nonsense as Palestine has as much claim to be European as Israel if it pursued it, i.e. none. Now UEFA would claim Palestinian flags might offend one of its members... Yet it has no issue with Catalan flags, for example, being used by Barcelona, which like it or not could offend another of its members, namely Spain. Then, to top it all, it bans the poppy yet allowed commemoration shirts for the Rising. I don't wear the poppy and never would, I do wear a lily, but you can't forbid one and allow the other. UEFA deals in horsesh1t, is a corrupt as f**k and makes up its rules as it goes along. This isn't going to stop Celtic getting into trouble but it's complete b*llocks.
Whining whataboutery ::)
Uefa had nothing to do with that Ireland game, it came under Fifa's jurisdiction.
Fifa did not give permission for the  1916 - 2016 badge on the Irish shirts and they later fined the FAI  Eur5,000 for the action.
Fifa probably would not have noticed this FAI indiscretion, only for the whining whataboutery poppy fascists who defied Fifa but couldn't take their censure without whining about the dastardly FAI and their commemoration of the 'IRA terrorists' of 1916.

Applesisapples

A couple of points, did Ireland not get fined for the rising jersey? Also as far as I know Barca have been fined for displays of the Catalan flag.

longballin

They'd sh*te themselves if they seen a Thompson gun. Bawbegs... them and Linfield supporters flip sides of the same coin. Sectarian bullsh*t

Orior

Quote from: longballin on July 20, 2017, 10:26:06 PM

They'd sh*te themselves if they seen a Thompson gun. Bawbegs... them and Linfield supporters flip sides of the same coin. Sectarian bullsh*t

Flip, it has been a few years since I've heard and song "off to Dublin". It was a regular tune on the bus in the 1970s.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians