Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

BJ article today - Give me a majority and I'll keep you safe.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on November 30, 2019, 11:02:45 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on November 30, 2019, 08:59:03 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on November 30, 2019, 08:50:53 AM
See something doing the Twitter rounds about BJ removing safety barriers on London Bridge because they were 'ugly'. Also the London Bridge terrorist was a known terrorist  released on licence last year. 2 open goals for Labour and the opposition parties, a real chance......

How would a security barrier stop someone with a knife ?
You're tough on crime or you're not, all about perception.
The barriers are visible in practically every piece of footage of the stabbing!

RedHand88

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 01, 2019, 09:10:49 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on November 30, 2019, 11:02:45 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on November 30, 2019, 08:59:03 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on November 30, 2019, 08:50:53 AM
See something doing the Twitter rounds about BJ removing safety barriers on London Bridge because they were 'ugly'. Also the London Bridge terrorist was a known terrorist  released on licence last year. 2 open goals for Labour and the opposition parties, a real chance......

How would a security barrier stop someone with a knife ?
You're tough on crime or you're not, all about perception.
The barriers are visible in practically every piece of footage of the stabbing!

Noticed them myself. Not that they do a getting to stop a man with a knife mind you.

smelmoth

Quote from: five points on November 29, 2019, 04:54:04 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 29, 2019, 04:36:37 PM
If we start trying to out-Boris Boris or out-Trump Trump (maybe out-Donald the Donald would sound better) the world is bucked.

It is not inevitable that simplistic sloganeering and populism has to win. We don't have to engage in a race to the bottom. In the long term the arc always bends towards progress (to bastardise MLK's fine words)

The most successful sloganeering populist of the past quarter century was Labour's Tony Blair. The arc certainly didn't bend towards progress in his time nor in the decade following. Trump for all his faults hasn't at least as yet started a huge war like Blair did and all indications are that neither he nor Boris have any inclination in doing so.

Can't disagree that Blair was the most successful western politician in the era you specify. Putin has been fairly successful in that period - I wonder what his secret is.

Blair and the Blair machine loved a sound bite. That cannot be denied.

The arc of progress is measured over a longer period (the entire point of the maxim). There certainly was progress in the Blair era. Was there as much as there could or should have been? No. I think Corbyn would agree.

Blair's legacy will be forever overshadowed by his support for military intervention. No bigger critic of this than Corbyn. I don't think Blair started a war but was far to keen to support another country and leaders who was hell bent on finishing off a job his father started. A further point being Hague, Howard and Duncan-Smith were not exactly attractive alternatives on this front and so much worse on the wider social and economic agenda

I never accused BoJo of wanting to start a war and this doesn't really differentiate him from the alternative. Not sure why you are going down this rabbit hole

smelmoth

A car crash of an interview by BoJo this morning on Marr. News coverage of the interview has not gone further a short snippet to point out that the 2 parties are blaming each other for Uzman Khan being at large. Where is the coverage of Bojo's wider performance??

tyrone08

Quote from: smelmoth on December 01, 2019, 10:39:28 PM
A car crash of an interview by BoJo this morning on Marr. News coverage of the interview has not gone further a short snippet to point out that the 2 parties are blaming each other for Uzman Khan being at large. Where is the coverage of Bojo's wider performance??
You will be waiting a while if you want the large broadcasters  to be critical of Boris. The BBC may as well be a tory TV station.

seafoid

Quote from: smelmoth on December 01, 2019, 10:39:28 PM
The coverage of the attack and on Johnson's interview couldn't avoid bringing up the effects of the years of austerity on the machinery of the State. The Tories are very weak on this and "get Brexit done " doesn't help. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

WT4E

Anyone saw the videos doing the rounds of the dead terrorist coming back to life?

Im not really a big man for conspiracy but its a bit mad!!!!

Walter Cronc

Link man. Can't keep us hanging like that  :o

Saffrongael

Is this the first time ever the New Statesman has refused to back Labour in a GE ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

WT4E

I see Finucane has moved to slight favourite since pissing on the street.

Heard Emma Little Pengalllllllly is Planning a shit in public tomorrow outside the Hatfield. Wahhh

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/9413c96c-153a-11ea-9ee4-11f260415385

A Protestant who described himself as a political "neutralist", Mr Fleming added that some Protestants might vote for Mr Eastwood in the December 12 poll. "It wouldn't be so much to keep Elisha [McCallion] out. It would be more that Colum [Eastwood] might do something," he said. "Whether you like or don't like what he does, at least he'll do something. He'll go and he'll have the voice be heard."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU