The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman

We were all pre-warned. Everyone. If you didn't know this was a minor panel who struggled at 14/15/16 level then shame on you.

Look, today was ugly. It was bad. Really bad.
But the Dublin game could have been just the same. We had a plan and we stuck to it doggedly. Kilkenny saw our plan, our limitations and exploited both and more.

We prepared a team very well this last two months. It wasn't a great team and with 3 exceptions, it won't be a team heralded for producing Laois Senior Hurlers.

Fair play to everyone involved and I mean pretty much everyone. We had a management team that inspired a decent team with literally zero input from the actual manager. Christy Walsh will leave having had absolutely no impact, provided no impetus and done little but drain our coffers of valuable resources. Plenty commenting here know this as a fact and I can't for the life of me figure out why it hasn't been said before now. Our Minor panel of 2017 performed admirably.

In my opinion, we have better teams to follow and I hope we see definite improvements, we'll see that if they buy in like this year's minors did.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: merman on May 14, 2017, 01:30:54 AM

We were all pre-warned. Everyone. If you didn't know this was a minor panel who struggled at 14/15/16 level then shame on you. You're an idiot.

Look, today was ugly. It was bad. Really bad.
But the Dublin game could have been just the same. We had a plan and we stuck to it doggedly. Kilkenny saw our plan, our limitations and exploited both and more.

We prepared a team very well this last two months. It wasn't a great team and with 3 exceptions, it won't be a team heralded for producing Laois Senior Hurlers.

Fair play to everyone involved and I mean pretty much everyone. We had a management team that inspired a decent team with literally zero input from the actual manager. Christy Walsh will leave having had absolutely no impact, provided no impetus and done little but drain our coffers of valuable resources. Plenty commenting here know this as a fact and I can't for the life of me figure out why it hasn't been said before now. Our Minor panel of 2017 performed admirably.

In my opinion, we have better teams to follow and I hope we see definite improvements, we'll see that if they buy in like this year's minors did.

100% the truth. I suppose people just don't like coming out with stuff like that. But it is the truth from what I know of what has been going on.

There are others involved who deserve credit. They shouldn't be ridiculed.

Quote from: merman on May 14, 2017, 01:30:54 AM
Our Minor panel of 2017 performed admirably.

All you can do is work hard and ATTEMPT to reach the maximum heights possible with the talent at your disposal. Today was my 3rd time watching this team this year, but I've seen a good bit of most of the players. They are simply not there.
I echo the above statement.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Giovanni

There are lads on here who obviously know a lot more about the hurling scene in Laois than I do but I think some of the commentary here is very harsh towards these young players.

I've watched them twice this year and I really admire the character that they've been showing all through. I wish some of their more talented compatriots in blue and white would show the same character sometimes.

The two Comerfords (and especially Ciaran) are lovely hurlers and our centre back was certainly a lot better than theirs. I thought James Keyes showed plenty of energy and fight too. I would be very happy indeed to see these lads progress onto the senior team.

Kilkenny were the better team yesterday for sure. But they weren't 30 points the better team. The sending off (which was totally bizarre) really destroyed any prospect of a decent game.

I can't imagine that Kilkenny will be too far away in September. Their physicality will be too much for most minor teams. I don't think Galway are likely to be a serious threat this year.

burdizzo

honest hurler

Well keyser soze I have got you going and unfortunately you don't like to hear some truths . Well I don't know where you are going with your dirty remarks if the shoe fits you should wear it it's at your back door in relation to training of such players I don't have an agenda  in relation to thoes players mearly just saying some truths

merman

Quote from: honest hurler on May 14, 2017, 07:31:31 PM
Well keyser soze I have got you going and unfortunately you don't like to hear some truths . Well I don't know where you are going with your dirty remarks if the shoe fits you should wear it it's at your back door in relation to training of such players I don't have an agenda  in relation to thoes players mearly just saying some truths
Quote from: honest hurler on May 13, 2017, 05:17:01 PM
o my god this puts laois back 10 years and the fact that this bunch of lads are honest and hard working is all the worst we must now look at where this went wrong is it at management door or why are we just happy to  beat the likes meath and think that we have our job done

You're embarrassing yourself.

You clearly have an agenda. A pathetic one most probably.

The coaching of this minor team was as good as we have had. We had a good backroom team with professionals stats and analysis, an excellent team secretary and two selectors who drove things on selflessly this last few weeks. I believe the S&C was decent if not amazing.
Ask the players, they'll tell you, particularly the players who were involved last year.

Pity about the actual manager but I was impressed with his CV on appointment so it would be hypocritical of me to criticise the county board for his selection.

We are benefiting massively from the regrading of age-groups. Our current U15s will be interesting and we have a fine bunch of 14 just behind. I don't necessarily predict they will win All-Irelands but they should be very competitive at A level. We need that consistently over a decade or more if we're going to see any tangible improvements.

I understand the Senata programme has been reset and renewed so we should hopefully see some improvements coming down the line. Apparently the cumann na bunscoil finals are fixed for this Thursday so it'd be great to see a strong standard on show.

Keyser Söze

There is more than one agenda there Merman, depending on the time of the year.
The agenda heightens during the transfer window!

On Christy Walsh, he might have come with a decent CV, but he was very much down the line in terms of approaches. The world and its mother said no to the job apparently!

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

There was a strong wind on Saturday that favoured Laois in the first half but there was on a couple of points in it at half time so they worked their socks off. It's not hard to see how KK would put you away once they get the chance. Heads then drop and the scores flow much easier for the victors. I wasn't there Saturday but I saw them against Dublin and they worked very hard that day and with a bit more luck may have got the win. Hopefully the likes of Ciaran Comerford, Delaney and Oisin Bennett can continue to improve and we see them in a sebior jersey in the future.
I too read Christy Walsh's cv and thought this is a good appointment so I am surprised to hear the comments about him.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

A hard scoreline to comprehend after a few years of competing really well at this level.

Disappointing to say the least.
LAOIS ABÚ

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Unlaoised on May 15, 2017, 03:03:34 PM
A hard scoreline to comprehend after a few years of competing really well at this level.

Disappointing to say the least.

Not sure how it is hard to comprehend after the same team struggled as U14s,U15s and U16s. Wasn't from want of effort and commitment and remember they had a great win over Offaly, beat Meath and ran Dublin very close. Not the end of the world as they will probably provide a few players to future U21s and Seniors. Even the strong teams only manage 3-4 who make it through. The other lads will have benefited from top level coaching and bring that back to their clubs.

burdizzo

In fairness, it was only in the last quarter that things got really bad. A couple of soft goals, and the heads dropped. KK only piled on the scores, really, in the last 10 minutes, and probably the two last goals were in the last couple of minutes
It was an unfortunate end, sure - but they did all right this year. I don't think there's any need to be overly critical.

smcder

Quote from: burdizzo on May 15, 2017, 05:07:30 PM
In fairness, it was only in the last quarter that things got really bad. A couple of soft goals, and the heads dropped. KK only piled on the scores, really, in the last 10 minutes, and probably the two last goals were in the last couple of minutes
It was an unfortunate end, sure - but they did all right this year. I don't think there's any need to be overly critical.

yeah lads,  they got something like 4-5 or 5-5 or more in the last 15 minutes, with the wind and the extra player. We weren't good enough, but the scoreline isn't a fair reflection in the team.

Downtheroad

Quote from: burdizzo on May 15, 2017, 05:07:30 PM
Have to agree. It was a decent effort all year by the players and management. Even on Saturday, the team tried hard but a couple of the goals were freakish which would knock the heart out of any team. The main thing is to keep the team together over the next few years as there are definitely a couple of senior prospects in the group.

Modern underage GAA be it club or county is a numbers game. There are just way more youngsters hurling in Kilkenny and Dublin and it's nigh impossible for any small county to compete with demographics stacked against them.

redsetanta

Just looking at the minor team that lost to KK in leinster final in 2014 a large amount of that group are currently  involved with the seniors.

Laois: Enda Rowland; Gavin Dunne, Ryan Mullaney, Evan Cuddy; Dwane Palmer, Ciaran McEvoy, Ronan Delahunty; Liam O'Connell, Colm Stapleton; John Lennon, Leigh Bergin, Aidan Corby; Darragh Cripps, Joe Campion (c), Stephen Bergin.

Substitutions: Ciaran Collier for Cripps (39), Mark Kavanagh for L Bergin (39), Kevin Bergin for S Bergin (49), Ronan Broderick for Lennon (51), Jack Delaney for Stapleton (58).
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on May 15, 2017, 07:57:04 PM
Just looking at the minor team that lost to KK in leinster final in 2014 a large amount of that group are currently  involved with the seniors.

Laois: Enda Rowland; Gavin Dunne, Ryan Mullaney, Evan Cuddy; Dwane Palmer, Ciaran McEvoy, Ronan Delahunty; Liam O'Connell, Colm Stapleton; John Lennon, Leigh Bergin, Aidan Corby; Darragh Cripps, Joe Campion (c), Stephen Bergin.

Substitutions: Ciaran Collier for Cripps (39), Mark Kavanagh for L Bergin (39), Kevin Bergin for S Bergin (49), Ronan Broderick for Lennon (51), Jack Delaney for Stapleton (58).

If we could produce hurlers of that standard every year, things will continue to improve.