Mayo v Tyrone AI Minor Final

Started by REDCOL, August 31, 2008, 04:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doohicky

Anyone know of any public transport I could get from Belfast for this?
I don't drive, so need to bus it.

the Deel Rover

According to the hogan stand it looks like pickering is out injured , he didn't come of the last day did he? He is a tough lad if he played part of the game with a broken collarbone.

Tyrone's hopes of completing an All-Ireland senior-minor football double on Saturday have suffered a major blow with the news that captain Ryan Pickering has been ruled out of the minor final replay against Mayo.
The corner back suffered a broken collarbone in last Sunday's drawn encounter at Croke Park, and will now miss Saturday's eagerly-awaited replay at Longford's Pearse Park.
Pickering had skippered the team all season in the absence of the injured Ronan McNabb, who was appointed captain at the start of the year.
McNabb, who made his first start of the season in last weekend's decider, is set to resume the captaincy at the midlands venue.
Both Tyrone and Mayo have played at Pearse Park already in this year's championship. Mayo defeated Monaghan, while Tyrone beat Roscommon in an All-Ireland quarter-final double bill at the venue last month.

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 23, 2008, 04:51:42 PM
Quote from: ludermor on September 23, 2008, 04:37:08 PM
Can anyone give directions to the Pitch? I will be coming from galwayish but will be heading to dublin after. Can any of the locals point me to the best place to park

Follow this link...

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Galway,+Co.+Galway,+Ireland&geocode=&dirflg=&daddr=Pearse+Park,+Longford&f=d&sll=53.559889,-9.063721&sspn=1.461786,4.081421&ie=UTF8&ll=53.530513,-8.434753&spn=0.685676,2.04071&z=9

Drive past the pitch and park on the bypass pointing to Dublin, shouldn't be a problem getting away after.

Superb final, think Mayo left this one behind them, said that about the semi as well though...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

stephenite

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 24, 2008, 08:21:23 AM
Okay, anyone know any way to get the replay streamed live?
Its not on Setanta for those of us in Australia and RTE don't stream games on their website unless you're in the ROI!
Any help would be really appreciated, I'm suffering enough not being able to go to the game, not being able to see it at all might push me over the edge  >:(

If it's on RTE there's a chance that it will be streamed by Justin TV - nothing on the schedule yet though :(

Tubberman

Looks like RTE are giving the minor replay pretty good analysis - decent lineup in fairness to them. I think everyone's expecting another great game. No mention of commentator though, so those gan cúpla focail still might have to turn on radio 1 to get it in English

From RTE.ie:
QuoteThe All Ireland Minor Football Championship Final replay between Mayo and Tyrone will be broadcast on RTÉ Two television, RTÉ Radio 1 (FM, LW and DAB) and on RTÉ.ie from 2.15 pm this Saturday.

The game, fixed for Pearse Park in Longford, will have a 2.30pm throw-in.

Des Cahill will be joined by Anthony Tohill and Kevin McStay for live coverage of the replay on RTÉ Two television, while on RTÉ Radio 1, Brian Carthy provides commentary during Saturday Sport (2.00-5.58pm).

The game will also be streamed live within the island of Ireland on www.rte.ie/sport.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

FL/MAYO

So if RTE are just showing it in Ireland does that mean Setanta will be showing it here in the States?

Bomber

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 24, 2008, 09:43:52 AM
According to the hogan stand it looks like pickering is out injured , he didn't come of the last day did he? He is a tough lad if he played part of the game with a broken collarbone.

He was in agony in last few minutes and was about to go down on his knees a couple of times to look for help from sideline but stayed on his feet. He had possession a few times during this as well. He probably just didn't want to go off in an All-Ireland final. Fair play to him for sticking it out.

ONeill

O Shea (11) is some operator - the best player on the field during that game. If Tyrone can somehow quell his influence I think we'll get the better of Mayo. However, he's a quare talent. Expect more from Coney this weekend - thought the pressure somewhat affected his decision making on Sunday.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tommy

setanta are showing it in the states, not live but after the celtic game.

blast05

QuoteObviously hit a nerve with your blast

Jaysus, i could have sworn i replied to this yesterday ...... anyway, no nerve - in fact i couldn't give a hoot - only winding.
Anyway, serious question - what ever happened to Keenagh GAA club ? Were they not a completely seperate club to Crossmolina that competed in North Junior exclusive and winter league and competitions like that and yet seemed to have players that either also played with Cross at the time or else went on to play with Cross ...... maybe this question hit a nerve and a mod deleted it  :P

m@yoman

For those of us going to the match and not linked to a GAA club up here in the big shmoke, there appeared to be a bit of confusion on Ticketmaster yesterday in that it was a "post-only" option available when buying the tickets......

just looked at www.clubmayo.ie there and the lads have confirmed that you can purchase tickets online and get them e-mailed to you directly using ticket-fast.....all sorted!!

sam03/05

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 24, 2008, 08:55:30 PM
Sympathy for young Pickering but it presents management with the opportunity to re-arrange defence to counter the physical threat of the Mayo forwards.  Given the talent available the management have Ronan Tierney who is actually a much better defender than Pickering who was overwhelmed by his marker on Sunday.  A much bigger loss in this situation is Kevin Mossey who has the craft and physical presence to counter young O'Shea who did so much damage as he roamed freely around the midfield diamond with no one able to handle him and with Tim Harney kicking the ball down his throat throughout the game.  Despite how much he would be willing to play, surely it is not be possible for Kevin to play on Saturday having had his appendix out 2 weeks ago.

The answer is to bring Ronan McNabb into CHB, he has the class and ability to turn O'Shea onto the back foot as he drives forward and the physical strength to take him on.  Marty Rodgers played well in the semi-final but Mayo are a step beyond Meath and Marty was not surviving at midfield, if he starts, Sean Warnock should be brought on at an early stage given his strength.  However, Marty should be replaced by Kyle Coney who should be given time at midfield.  Over the season Kyle has been pushed around the field as the firefighter by the management, always expected to save the day.  While he did not have his best day on Sunday, it was Kyle who drew the final free and had the presence of mind to jump up, spot Mattie Donnelly unmarked and give him a perfect pass for the levelling point.  This forgives everything that happened before. Tim Harney needs to consider how the ball is played out of defence, kicking long in Pearse Park will not be an answer to Mayo dominance at midfield.  Fast moving Tyrone defenders can easily bypass midfield given the right ball.  Despite sounding like a broken record, now is the time to bring in Shane O'Neill to carry the ball at Mayo and he should replace Conor O'Neill, Conor has contributed well over the season and is there as a free taker but Shane offers greater skills and scoring from play as well as being able to take frees.  Finally, bring on Brian McGarvey to act as the worker at midfield, winning the breaking ball and delivering it to the scoring inside forwards.

Best option for Saturday:
1   Tim Harney  Gleann Eallaigh
2   Finbar McQuaid  Eochar
3   Gavin Teague  Árd Bó
17  Ronan Tierney  Aireagal Chiaráin  
5   Stephen MacRory  Aireagal Chiaráin
7   Ronan McNabb  An Droim Mór
6   Peter Harte  Aireagal Chiaráin
8   Niall McKenna  Domhnach Mór
13  Kyle Coney  Árd Bó
10  Ciaran Gervin  Doire Locháin
11  Dairmaid McNulty  An Goirtín
12  Matthew Donnelly  Trí Leac
14  Paddy McNeice  Oilean a'Ghuail
20  Brian McGarvey  An Goirtín
18  Shane O'Neill  An Omaigh

Saturday will be a true test for the Tyrone management.  Mayo are a team who like the Tyrone seniors are greater than the sum of their individual parts.  They are not a one man team and have a manager who has studied Tyrone and made the right selections and team placements to counter the very talented Tyrone who did not play as a team or to their potential on Sunday.  Lets hope the Tyrone boys have been lifted from Sunday's disappointment and their failure to produce their best on the big day.  

Anyway, best of luck to the Tyrone minors and their management, they have still the championship within their grasp and the talent to bring it home.

I thought Pickering was one of the best players on the pitch on Sunday past. His distrubution from defence was superb. Hardly ever kicks a bad pass and alsmost always opts to kick pass. He is a superb player and will be a massive loss to Tyrone on Saturday.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: sam03/05 on September 23, 2008, 08:12:31 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 23, 2008, 10:25:52 AM
The game will be shown live on rte.

will it be in English or Irish??
I know its tradition but would be much more enjoyable if in English

The deal with the commentary is that the original agreement between RTÉ and the GAA was that half the commentary on the All-Ireland final should be in Irish, because the GAA is a cultural organisation as much as it's a sporting one. So what they used to do was do the first half of each game in Irish, and then the second half in English.

Then somebody put two and two together and decided that having all the minor game in Irish would then allow them to have all the senior game in English, without violating the agreement.

RTÉ did experiment with having Marty Morrissey doing colour commentary while Mícheál Ó Sé blazed away a few years ago - Mícheál would say something like "poc go h-árd agus ... poc go cruinn!" and then Marty would chime in and say "and that's Cork fourth point in a row - Kilkenny really must start doing something here if they're not to be wiped off the face of the earth." Or something.

As you can imagine, they turned off the respirator on that bright idea.

I don't think it'll ever change though. If the commentary in Irish were ever taken from the All-Ireland final broadcast Irish language cranks would be up in arms about it. This Irish language crank would anyway, and I don't think I'd be alone.  ;)

ONeill

Excellent preview TYP. You're also correct on Pickering. Although he was tidy and efficient when on the ball, he was way off the pace in terms of man marking and maybe his injury was seriously hampering him.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyrone86

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 24, 2008, 08:55:30 PM
Sympathy for young Pickering but it presents management with the opportunity to re-arrange defence to counter the physical threat of the Mayo forwards.  Given the talent available the management have Ronan Tierney who is actually a much better defender than Pickering who was overwhelmed by his marker on Sunday.  A much bigger loss in this situation is Kevin Mossey who has the craft and physical presence to counter young O'Shea who did so much damage as he roamed freely around the midfield diamond with no one able to handle him and with Tim Harney kicking the ball down his throat throughout the game.  Despite how much he would be willing to play, surely it is not be possible for Kevin to play on Saturday having had his appendix out 2 weeks ago.

The answer is to bring Ronan McNabb into CHB, he has the class and ability to turn O'Shea onto the back foot as he drives forward and the physical strength to take him on.  Marty Rodgers played well in the semi-final but Mayo are a step beyond Meath and Marty was not surviving at midfield, if he starts, Sean Warnock should be brought on at an early stage given his strength.  However, Marty should be replaced by Kyle Coney who should be given time at midfield.  Over the season Kyle has been pushed around the field as the firefighter by the management, always expected to save the day.  While he did not have his best day on Sunday, it was Kyle who drew the final free and had the presence of mind to jump up, spot Mattie Donnelly unmarked and give him a perfect pass for the levelling point.  This forgives everything that happened before. Tim Harney needs to consider how the ball is played out of defence, kicking long in Pearse Park will not be an answer to Mayo dominance at midfield.  Fast moving Tyrone defenders can easily bypass midfield given the right ball.  Despite sounding like a broken record, now is the time to bring in Shane O'Neill to carry the ball at Mayo and he should replace Conor O'Neill, Conor has contributed well over the season and is there as a free taker but Shane offers greater skills and scoring from play as well as being able to take frees.  Finally, bring on Brian McGarvey to act as the worker at midfield, winning the breaking ball and delivering it to the scoring inside forwards.

Best option for Saturday:
1   Tim Harney  Gleann Eallaigh
2   Finbar McQuaid  Eochar
3   Gavin Teague  Árd Bó
17  Ronan Tierney  Aireagal Chiaráin  
5   Stephen MacRory  Aireagal Chiaráin
7   Ronan McNabb  An Droim Mór
6   Peter Harte  Aireagal Chiaráin
8   Niall McKenna  Domhnach Mór
13  Kyle Coney  Árd Bó
10  Ciaran Gervin  Doire Locháin
11  Dairmaid McNulty  An Goirtín
12  Matthew Donnelly  Trí Leac
14  Paddy McNeice  Oilean a'Ghuail
20  Brian McGarvey  An Goirtín
18  Shane O'Neill  An Omaigh

Saturday will be a true test for the Tyrone management.  Mayo are a team who like the Tyrone seniors are greater than the sum of their individual parts.  They are not a one man team and have a manager who has studied Tyrone and made the right selections and team placements to counter the very talented Tyrone who did not play as a team or to their potential on Sunday.  Lets hope the Tyrone boys have been lifted from Sunday's disappointment and their failure to produce their best on the big day.  

Anyway, best of luck to the Tyrone minors and their management, they have still the championship within their grasp and the talent to bring it home.

I'd agree with large parts of that TYP, but a few I'd take issue with. Mickey Slane and Brian Kelly are natural corner men and man markers rather than Tierney - whom I consider a fine wing back and should start. McNabb at CHB and Coney at MF are vital. McNulty at CHF hasn't worked all year and yet the management continue with it. As a roaming CF or FF he's a very effective footballer. The persistent use of Peter Harte in the Half back line rather than at CHF defies logic, especially when you consider, as Hardstation reminds us, a 17 year old was the best forward on an Errigal Ciaran Championship team. You're slightly harsh on Conor O'Neill, who in all fairness hasn't done anything to get himself dropped for, and also harsh on Rodgers isn't a natural midfielder and should have gotten a decent run at half forward before now. So all in all I'd have to go with the following 15 for Saturday;

Harney, McQuaid, Teague, Slane, McRory, McNabb, Tierney, McKenna and Coney, Gervin, Harte, Donnelly, McNulty, McNiece, C O'Neill.

I have also fought the urge to add one letter to Hardstations last post which may have made it slightly more accurate.