Hurling Shinty Ties - Insurance - Any other info

Started by hurlinchief, December 23, 2019, 12:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlinchief

I am very interested in getting my club to play a hurling shinty match against a shinty team in Scotland. I have connections to possible teams out there so that is no problem and accommodation and flights seem ok. I am just worried about insurance and how that might work. If you have any info for me or any other advice on this topic. Please let me know. Thank you.

burdizzo

I remember - many years ago - playing shinty for Edinburgh University, and we played a match against the Trinity (I think) hurlers. We swapped sticks at half-time, and it was all great craic. I have no idea how the insurance worked, but I'd have thought the club's own insurance would cover it? Why not just ask the club you're thinking of going to?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

You could give the Camanachd Association a shout. Or perhaps clubs who have annual games. Kinlochshiel against Castletown Geoghegan is a long running one.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: burdizzo on December 27, 2019, 09:36:43 PM
I remember - many years ago - playing shinty for Edinburgh University, and we played a match against the Trinity (I think) hurlers. We swapped sticks at half-time, and it was all great craic. I have no idea how the insurance worked, but I'd have thought the club's own insurance would cover it? Why not just ask the club you're thinking of going to?
The year wasn't 1976 by any chance?
Because if it was, we were on opposing sides that day!
I played for Trinity College, Dublin, against Edinburgh University during the Easter holidays that year. We all swapped sticks that day also. (Not that it made much difference because most of us, the Trinity lads anyway, were totally pissed from the night before.) Things may have changed since then but there were no special conditions imposed by our insurers for the games we played while in Scotland - a total of three in three days.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

burdizzo

No, 'twas more like the early '90s. I remember when we got the hurls, one of the Trinity boys saying to me "Hey, you've done this before!" In fact, about a third of the shinty team was Irish lads, anyway.
Yeah, but playing shinty in Edinburgh was a great way to see Scotland and, as you say, get pissed!

Antrim Coaster

I think Micheal Breathnach from Spiddal in Galway have played a few compromise rules games against Skye Camanachd so might be an idea to contact them to enquire about insurance etc. Also a team of Ulster Irish speakers played a Gaidhlig speaking shinty team under the banner of Fir Uladh.