?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on February 24, 2021, 03:02:21 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 24, 2021, 02:33:57 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 24, 2021, 02:22:11 PM
Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on February 24, 2021, 02:18:38 PM

You picked two sides pushing for CL spots this year.

The point I made is if the board aren't showing any ambition they'll end up with one of the names you don't want.

Of course it depends on the boards ambition. We have both the resources and reputation to attract a top manager but it depends if the board are serious about improving Celtic

As for Everton and West Ham.

I highly doubt either will be in the CL next season.

Neither will Celtic

Why do you say that?

First of, they have to keep Hibs off second spot, and secondly they have to qualify through the early stages.  Form would suggest they will struggle, optimism will not do it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Looking at the CL path for next season with Celtic.

They would have three qualifying rounds to have navigate with Celtic entering the 1st qualifying round.

R1
Celtic
PSV (currently 2nd in the Dutch League)
Besiktas (currently 2nd in the Turkish League)
Rapid Vienna (currently 2nd in the Austrian League)
FC Midtjyland (currently 2nd in the Danish League)
Sparta Prague (currently 2nd in the Czech)

Celtic will likely be seeded for this round. Three winners will progress to next round

R2
3 teams who progress from above
Braga (3rd in Portuguese league)
PSG* (currently 3rd in France)
CSKA (2nd in Russia)
Shakthar (2nd in Ukraine)
Antwerp (2nd in Belgium)

Celtic won't be seeded in this round. 4 winners progress to play off round with two ties and the two winners qualifying for the CL.

PSG look like the outlier there but will probably finish in the top 2 anyway.

Outside of that it will be tricky for Celtic but they certainly should not be in awe of any of those sides.

A potential path of

Rapid Vienna
Besiktas
CSKA

is more than doable.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 24, 2021, 03:10:19 PM

The point I made is if the board aren't showing any ambition they'll end up with one of the names you don't want.

Of course it depends on the boards ambition. We have both the resources and reputation to attract a top manager but it depends if the board are serious about improving Celtic

Neither will Celtic

Why do you say that?

First of, they have to keep Hibs off second spot, and secondly they have to qualify through the early stages.  Form would suggest they will struggle, optimism will not do it

They are 12 points ahead of Hibs with 8 games left. They have second spot sewn up.

I would say Celtic are probably 4x more likely to be in the CL next season than Everton or West Ham.

tonto1888

Quote from: Louther on February 24, 2021, 02:04:11 PM
Who Celtic be linked with (mostly by fans):
Martinez
Benitez
Lampard
John Terry
Sarri
Eddie Howe

Who'll actually be in the running:
John Kennedy
Scott Brown
Gordon Stratchan
Mick McCarthy
Jackie McNamara
John Hughes
Paul Lambert

You don't have Steve Clarke in either list so we can file this under the you dont have a clue what you're on about list

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on February 24, 2021, 03:13:15 PM

Neither will Celtic

Why do you say that?

They are 12 points ahead of Hibs with 8 games left. They have second spot sewn up.

I would say Celtic are probably 4x more likely to be in the CL next season than Everton or West Ham.

Hibs win their game in hand and its 9 points... Again Celtic's form and if they play Rangers twice that's a loss of 6 points, do they play Hibs in the run in?  Be interesting
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 24, 2021, 03:16:58 PM

Neither will Celtic

Why do you say that?

Hibs win their game in hand and its 9 points... Again Celtic's form and if they play Rangers twice that's a loss of 6 points, do they play Hibs in the run in?  Be interesting

For that to happen Hibs would need to get 13 more points than Celtic in their last 9 games. If Hibs went on a 9 game winning run they would still need Celtic to drop 14 points and Hibs are not going on a 9 game winning run.

2nd place is done and dusted for Celtic.

screenexile

Quote from: Angelo on February 24, 2021, 03:12:05 PM

They would have three qualifying rounds to have navigate with Celtic entering the 1st qualifying round.

R1
Celtic

Celtic will likely be seeded for this round. Three winners will progress to next round

R2
CSKA (2nd in Russia)
Antwerp (2nd in Belgium)

Celtic won't be seeded in this round. 4 winners progress to play off round with two ties and the two winners qualifying for the CL.

Outside of that it will be tricky for Celtic but they certainly should not be in awe of any of those sides.

A potential path of

Rapid Vienna
Besiktas
CSKA

is more than doable.

What if they get Sparta Prague first who have beaten them 4-1 home and away this season... then they're goosed!

screenexile

Quote from: Angelo on February 24, 2021, 03:22:13 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 24, 2021, 03:16:58 PM

Neither will Celtic

Why do you say that?

For that to happen Hibs would need to get 13 more points than Celtic in their last 9 games. If Hibs went on a 9 game winning run they would still need Celtic to drop 14 points and Hibs are not going on a 9 game winning run.

2nd place is done and dusted for Celtic.

And they're letting Hibs play first next weekend to put pressure on Celtic . . . talk about your double standards!!

Louther

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 24, 2021, 03:15:34 PM
Martinez
Benitez
Lampard
John Terry
Sarri
Eddie Howe

John Kennedy
Scott Brown
Gordon Stratchan
Mick McCarthy
Jackie McNamara
John Hughes
Paul Lambert

You don't have Steve Clarke in either list so we can file this under the you dont have a clue what you're on about list

I'm ssssoooooooooo Sorry! Should have stated explicitly that it wasn't a definite list.

On Steve Clarke would he be so keen to get involved with an Old Firm team after his comments in the past when he managed in club football. Plus I'm sure after taking Scotland to the Euros he'd have sights set on the World Cup with Scotland.

But on the next list I'll be sure to include him.

Angelo

Quote from: screenexile on February 24, 2021, 03:25:14 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 24, 2021, 03:12:05 PM

R1
Celtic

R2
CSKA (2nd in Russia)
Antwerp (2nd in Belgium)

A potential path of

Rapid Vienna
Besiktas
CSKA

is more than doable.

What if they get Sparta Prague first who have beaten them 4-1 home and away this season... then they're goosed!

Are they?

tonto1888

Quote from: Louther on February 24, 2021, 03:30:58 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 24, 2021, 03:15:34 PM
Martinez
Benitez
Lampard
John Terry
Sarri
Eddie Howe

John Kennedy
Scott Brown
Gordon Stratchan
Mick McCarthy
Jackie McNamara
John Hughes
Paul Lambert

I'm ssssoooooooooo Sorry! Should have stated explicitly that it wasn't a definite list.

On Steve Clarke would he be so keen to get involved with an Old Firm team after his comments in the past when he managed in club football. Plus I'm sure after taking Scotland to the Euros he'd have sights set on the World Cup with Scotland.

But on the next list I'll be sure to include him.

Good boy.

dublin7

Neither will Celtic

Why do you say that?

Given Cetic's struggles in the EL & CL over the last few seasons you couldn't have any belief in Celtic qualifying for the CL. Qualifying for the EL or just avoiding an embarrassing exit would be a success at this stage

bennydorano

That's not a very heartening looking betting market for the Manager's job :-[

Kennedy odds on with Boylesports ffs at 5/6, Eddie Howe & Steve Clarke vying for 2nd fav spot. Frank Lampard as low as 4/1??? Martinez & Benetiz in around 7/1 or 8/1.

I could see someone like Slaven Billic being in the frame.

From the Bunker

Quote from: bennydorano on February 24, 2021, 08:32:22 PM
That's not a very heartening looking betting market for the Manager's job :-[

Kennedy odds on with Boylesports ffs at 5/6, Eddie Howe & Steve Clarke vying for 2nd fav spot. Frank Lampard as low as 4/1??? Martinez & Benetiz in around 7/1 or 8/1.

I could see someone like Slaven Billic being in the frame.

After the last 12 months of Lennon, every one of those look like an upgrade.

bennydorano