Excel Questions

Started by magickingdom, February 21, 2008, 12:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on November 26, 2014, 03:24:37 PM
Possibly something covered before, but if you enter a 16 digit number into excel, then it will round it to the first 15 digits. B'astardo.

Even if you clever store it as text by preceding it with a single apostophe, then convert it back to a number using the value function it rounds calculations. B'astardo.

Does Openoffice work any better?

We don't have as much money to add up as you, Orior, so are less familiar with this problem.
But presumably the spreadsheets are storing cells as double precision floating point number, so this has only 15 decimal digits.
You might need something like this http://precisioncalc.com/What_is_xlPrecision.html
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on November 26, 2014, 04:22:08 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 26, 2014, 03:24:37 PM
Possibly something covered before, but if you enter a 16 digit number into excel, then it will round it to the first 15 digits. B'astardo.

Even if you clever store it as text by preceding it with a single apostophe, then convert it back to a number using the value function it rounds calculations. B'astardo.

Does Openoffice work any better?

We don't have as much money to add up as you, Orior, so are less familiar with this problem.
But presumably the spreadsheets are storing cells as double precision floating point number, so this has only 15 decimal digits.
You might need something like this http://precisioncalc.com/What_is_xlPrecision.html

That reminds me about the scientist from university who was talking to a ship building welder in the pub:

Scientist: "You know, in my job we work to one hundredth thousand of a millimetre"

Welder: "Oh that's no good where I work. We have to be dead on"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on November 26, 2014, 04:33:06 PM
That reminds me about the scientist from university who was talking to a ship building welder in the pub:

Scientist: "You know, in my job we work to one hundredth thousand of a millimetre"

Welder: "Oh that's no good where I work. We have to be dead on"

Dead on joke.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ludermor

Probably more algerbra than excel question!
im trying to find out actual wages from one of my subcontractor and he has 3 different pay grades for trades. i have a total for the months and % allocation of the trades. Im sure there is an easy way to find out but my math brain has left me!
Month 1 total cost = 4972  which is made up of Tom x 33% , John x 12%, Mick x 30%
Month 2 Total cost = 6499 which is made up of Tom x 50% , John x 10%, Mick x 34%
How much is the monthly cost of each person?

WeeDonns

Hardy

As far as I can see, John is hanging the latch.

Billys Boots

And Tom is swinging the lead. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

johnneycool

Quote from: Hardy on February 18, 2015, 03:43:33 PM
As far as I can see, John is hanging the latch.

Must be the YTP apprentice!

ludermor

Quote from: WeeDonns on February 18, 2015, 02:59:41 PM
Do you mean this?

image upload no limit
No the % of each worker is the % of their wages, not the % of the monthly cost. I'm trying to find out their individual monthly cost.

gallsman

In that case do you have enough information? You'd be looking to set up simultaneous equations but would need a third one?

ludermor

I'm not sure Gallsman, that's why I'm asking here!

gallsman

Quote from: ludermor on February 18, 2015, 05:19:55 PM
I'm not sure Gallsman, that's why I'm asking here!

I'm having horrible flashbacks of GCSE and A Level work on matrices. Off the top of my head, I don't think you've enough info - you've three unknowns but only two equations.

tbrick18

Quote from: ludermor on February 18, 2015, 02:50:52 PM
im trying to find out actual wages from one of my subcontractor and he has 3 different pay grades for trades. i have a total for the months and % allocation of the trades. Im sure there is an easy way to find out but my math brain has left me!
Month 1 total cost = 4972  which is made up of Tom x 33% , John x 12%, Mick x 30%
Month 2 Total cost = 6499 which is made up of Tom x 50% , John x 10%, Mick x 34%

Ask the subcontractor to tell you! Simples!

I might be missing something here, but your percentages dont add up to 100%.

macdanger2

If I understand you correctly, you're short one piece of information. You have two equations:

4972 = 0.33T + 0.12J + 0.3M
6499 = 0.5T + 0.1J +0.34M

You need some relationship to create a 3rd equation if you're looking for an exact answer. You could get a decent estimate from the info you currently have but I presume that's no good?

ludermor

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 18, 2015, 06:48:41 PM

If I understand you correctly, you're short one piece of information. You have two equations:

4972 = 0.33T + 0.12J + 0.3M
6499 = 0.5T + 0.1J +0.34M

You need some relationship to create a 3rd equation if you're looking for an exact answer. You could get a decent estimate from the info you currently have but I presume that's no good?
Yeah thats right Macdanger, if i knew one ofthe wages i could work out the rest but im struggling.