Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Quote from: seafoid on August 31, 2023, 07:42:55 AM
The thing about Brolly and narcissism is the patterns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCuMgb2ibwY

"That's a true story , I wouldn't exaggerate " got the  biggest laugh.  Says a lot

restorepride

Quote from: Silver hill on August 30, 2023, 11:35:37 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 30, 2023, 05:55:44 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on August 30, 2023, 10:51:39 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on August 29, 2023, 09:50:15 PM
Reading  Brolly's columns  will prove his narcissistic side.  The president texted me ,  Rory McIlroy met me in Las Vegas and said "hey joe, fancy a pint?" ,  I was  climbing up Ayer's Rock in  the Australian desert  and two Aboriginal boys shouts "hey Brolly , Get Down from there ye Derry bollix "..... mental stuff.

Plus , he's attacked RTE on numerous  occasions. Trying to  suggest sure I didn't want to work for them  losers no more .  Rather than  the reality he was ousted , and he's  not  a big deal now . Fragile ego.

You'll never  reason    with a narcissist  . You have to njust walk away

Anyway, must go.  Jim McGuinness  has just texted again........

It's also possible that all those stories are true and so don't necessarily point to a narcissistic personality.
I don't believe any of us are qualified to diagnose a personality disorder.

I do understand why he is a marmite type character though, he's just one of those people you either love or loathe.
I always found him entertaining and generally insightful when it came to analysis.

I'd have no issues with him attacking RTE tbh. The Sunday game is much poorer, imo, without characters like Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke.
RTE were probably within their rights to get rid of him if he wasn't following their internal regulations, but I actually generally agreed with his comments on certain individuals over the years. Well perhaps not on Marty Morrissey.

He may no longer be a big deal in RTE circles, but he certainly is in his profession. He also has his newspaper columns and the podcast - so I'd say he's stil la big deal in certain sectors.

I've no issue with people disliking him or disagreeing with me on this, but I think we are a much poorer society if we don't have the ability to speak our mind on things as trivial as sport.

What's the craic with Jim now? He just texted me to say he'd been talking to Brolly about a role as a forwards coach for Donegal.  :P

He really struggled when it came general analysis and would revert back to his comfort zone of slagging and story telling most of it made up. insightful analysis for me has been done by the likes of Jim McGuinness and Enda McGinley both have put in the necessary research to what they were talking about unlike Brolly.

Ok, give us an example of a story that he's made up?
"Shane McGuigan can't run."

Silver hill

Quote from: restorepride on August 31, 2023, 10:28:48 PM
Reading  Brolly's columns  will prove his narcissistic side.  The president texted me ,  Rory McIlroy met me in Las Vegas and said "hey joe, fancy a pint?" ,  I was  climbing up Ayer's Rock in  the Australian desert  and two Aboriginal boys shouts "hey Brolly , Get Down from there ye Derry bollix "..... mental stuff.

Plus , he's attacked RTE on numerous  occasions. Trying to  suggest sure I didn't want to work for them  losers no more .  Rather than  the reality he was ousted , and he's  not  a big deal now . Fragile ego.

It's also possible that all those stories are true and so don't necessarily point to a narcissistic personality.

I do understand why he is a marmite type character though, he's just one of those people you either love or loathe.
I always found him entertaining and generally insightful when it came to analysis.

I'd have no issues with him attacking RTE tbh. The Sunday game is much poorer, imo, without characters like Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke.
RTE were probably within their rights to get rid of him if he wasn't following their internal regulations, but I actually generally agreed with his comments on certain individuals over the years. Well perhaps not on Marty Morrissey.

He may no longer be a big deal in RTE circles, but he certainly is in his profession. He also has his newspaper columns and the podcast - so I'd say he's stil la big deal in certain sectors.

I've no issue with people disliking him or disagreeing with me on this, but I think we are a much poorer society if we don't have the ability to speak our mind on things as trivial as sport.

What's the craic with Jim now? He just texted me to say he'd been talking to Brolly about a role as a forwards coach for Donegal.  :P

He really struggled when it came general analysis and would revert back to his comfort zone of slagging and story telling most of it made up. insightful analysis for me has been done by the likes of Jim McGuinness and Enda McGinley both have put in the necessary research to what they were talking about unlike Brolly.

Wise up man, that's not a story, it's an opinion. Great player but pace certainly wouldn't be his best quality

restorepride

Quote from: Silver hill on August 31, 2023, 10:53:13 PM
Quote from: restorepride on August 31, 2023, 10:28:48 PM

Wise up man, that's not a story, it's an opinion. Great player but pace certainly wouldn't be his best quality
"My Uncle Eunan was a St Columb's scholar"

Snapchap

6th August 2019:
"As for RTÉ it's the public broadcaster and I enjoy it but I would never for example work for Sky or Eir. I am first and foremost a GAA man. What else do we have?"

13th January 2020 (5 months later):
"Confirmed: Joe Brolly to make TV return with eir Sport for National League"
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/confirmed-joe-brolly-to-make-tv-return-with-eir-sport-for-national-league/38857194.html

Asked why he joined Éir after being such a critic:
"I suppose increasingly, if you're the only one out there with a pitchfork, you're in danger of becoming irrelevant.... I think the reality is you either become irrelevant or you accept the reality. The GAA has made this decision. It's set in stone....The debate is dead. It's never going back. Look, at Congress on two or three occasions there was sort of half-hearted attempts to change it. The debate is dead. This is a niche argument and it's lost. That's the reality of it."

After Eir goes bust, Joe suddenly remembers he is deeply morally opposed to pay per view GAA:
"These games are often for the community, that's what the GAA is supposed to be....This is about elderly people all around Donegal, Sligo, Mayo.....All Ireland champions Kerry have only had one of their championship games this year on RTE. The rest have behind the RTE/GAAgo pay wall. This weekend's massive Kerry Tyrone game will not be seen by many elderly folk in both counties...It's this contemptuous treatment of our elderly people...That speaks for itself. It's something that simply should not happen."

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

Silver hill

People are allowed to change their mind. I still haven't heard an example of a story that he has actually made up?
Agree that he's prone to a bit of hyperbole, but actually making up a story...don't think so.

quit yo jibbajabba

Man goes to lot of effort but fails to answer question

It's a no from me

restorepride

Quote from: Silver hill on September 01, 2023, 09:30:55 PM
People are allowed to change their mind. I still haven't heard an example of a story that he has actually made up?
Agree that he's prone to a bit of hyperbole, but actually making up a story...don't think so.
Re presentation of 1987 Ulster Champs at 2023 Ulster Final "Earlier in the week, when it looked like Rory Gallagher was going to be on the sideline today, the group decided that we would not to go through with it".  A made up story by Joe. 

trueblue1234

He definitely had a run in with Jarlagh Burns when he quoted burns and Burns came out and said he never said what Brolly claimed.
Did he not also make a claim about a phone call with a player and the player came out to say it never happened. This one a bit more hazy!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Saffrongael

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 01, 2023, 11:18:04 PM
He definitely had a run in with Jarlagh Burns when he quoted burns and Burns came out and said he never said what Brolly claimed.
Did he not also make a claim about a phone call with a player and the player came out to say it never happened. This one a bit more hazy!!

Brolly wrote: "I spoke to Jarlath Burns in Croke Park. His point was that the GAA is in a healthy position and that I am overly concerned about the direction we are taking. I said to him, 'Can you imagine if I'd said to you 10 years ago that we'd be giving a private free market company €6.5m a year to represent county players?'"

"He said, ' I never thought of it that way'."

However, Burns has disputed that version of events. Tweeting and attaching Brolly's @JoeBrolly1993 handle, he stated: "I don't recall giving that answer".
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Snapchap

There's a difference between changing your mind and being a hypocrite. Brolly has been an outspoken critic of pay per view GAA for many, many years. The only time he "changed his mind" was during the brief window where a pay per view broadcaster offered him a job. Once that broadcaster folded, he "changed his mind" back.

restorepride

Quote from: Snapchap on September 02, 2023, 12:16:31 PM

There's a difference between changing your mind and being a hypocrite. Brolly has been an outspoken critic of pay per view GAA for many, many years. The only time he "changed his mind" was during the brief window where a pay per view broadcaster offered him a job. Once that broadcaster folded, he "changed his mind" back.
+ 1

ck

Of course he makes up stories. He's well known well for it. At very least he exaggerates and stretches every notion he has for his own narrative. It's why RTE lost faith and the public got tired of him.
Example: He once said he was in Donegal on holidays and went into a shop and met a small group of county players buying coke, crisps and chocolates, they were on a training camp and had escaped for a while from Jimmy McGuinness and Joe claimed they commented "Aw Joe its hell on earth, we're not allowed to do anything" (I'm paraphrasing). Donegal players claim none of them ever met him in any shop.

He then used that little story to claim that McGuinness was flogging his players and they hated it. This, after being a McGuinness fanboy the year before but like most things, switched sides a short while later. Did similar with Kieran McGeeney and Paul Grimley. (Theme: Bully managers flogging their very unhappy players)

He's a barrister. He twists and churns stories to make an argument. The problem is that most smart people are now on to him and his BS. Personally I enjoy his banter and is very good in the politics sphere but it's very clear that he spins stories to back up his narrative.

God14

Quote from: ck on September 04, 2023, 10:01:15 AM

Of course he makes up stories. He's well known well for it. At very least he exaggerates and stretches every notion he has for his own narrative. It's why RTE lost faith and the public got tired of him.
Example: He once said he was in Donegal on holidays and went into a shop and met a small group of county players buying coke, crisps and chocolates, they were on a training camp and had escaped for a while from Jimmy McGuinness and Joe claimed they commented "Aw Joe its hell on earth, we're not allowed to do anything" (I'm paraphrasing). Donegal players claim none of them ever met him in any shop.

He then used that little story to claim that McGuinness was flogging his players and they hated it. This, after being a McGuinness fanboy the year before but like most things, switched sides a short while later. Did similar with Kieran McGeeney and Paul Grimley. (Theme: Bully managers flogging their very unhappy players)

He's a barrister. He twists and churns stories to make an argument. The problem is that most smart people are now on to him and his BS. Personally I enjoy his banter and is very good in the politics sphere but it's very clear that he spins stories to back up his narrative.

The Darren McCurry one was a classic, he claimed in his column to had a pint with the tee total Dazzler!

AustinPowers

I remember reading that  Donegal story .  Remember a Crossmaglen  story that I shook my head at as well , but just  can't recall the exact details.  Needless to say , it was BS