Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

Quote from: Kickham csc on November 09, 2017, 11:07:21 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 09, 2017, 10:14:25 AM
In the Gaelic life article Brolly wrote:

"Creggans answer to the shocking indictment against them has been "no comment." It is a fine club and has done great work over the last 20 years, but there is something rotten to the core that they need to address now"

Don't think that specifically refers to the community Kickham but can see your point!

The club is the centre of the community in Creggan.

God, has anybody on this site ever been to Creggan? It consists of two pubs, a primary school, with the club in the middle of them all.

You're commenting to a wider audience here Kickham.  Don't forget the cottage and the redevelopment of mclarnons!

Spike

Anyone here think Brolly's article has actually hardened attitudes rather than conciliated?

I know the parish neighbours and adjacent GAA clubs & fraternities are fully behind Creggan's stance and have adopted 'you attack one of us, you attack all of us' stance.   

I don't believe you will find any volunteers for the PSNI in that area of the SW coming forward just because of that article.  The urban areas were more likely to produce recruits but if the PSNI have abandoned their '50/50' recruitment policy I cant see how they will ever hit the magic number, and keep it consistent at that number without positive discrimination.   

I don't think it should ever be the GAAs job to work as a job recruitment agency. ive never saw my local club pushing leaflets for brickies, banks or the NHS, so why should the psni be any different?

Whether the middle roaders like it or not, the whiff of the RUC at the head of the PSNI still lingers.  They needed a full clear out at the top and a clean sweep but it didn't happen. perhaps politically, perhaps practically. 
Besides all that, whether it be a guard or a psni officer, joining the police force changes your communities perception of you. you are now the enforcer of law and thereby the people, even your friends and family. security dictates you cannot live amongst your people whether that is in unionist or nationalist areas.

joining the police force enforces a natural ostracisation  and that is magnified in a nationalist community.

Has Joe ruined any hope of PSNI recruitment in rural areas? I suspect he has in SW Antrim.

Milltown Row2

I think if your are blowing up your own in their own areas, that will just about cover the people from that community not joining up me thinks, its a good tactic
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Spike on November 09, 2017, 11:40:18 AM
Anyone here think Brolly's article has actually hardened attitudes rather than conciliated?

I know the parish neighbours and adjacent GAA clubs & fraternities are fully behind Creggan's stance and have adopted 'you attack one of us, you attack all of us' stance.   

I don't believe you will find any volunteers for the PSNI in that area of the SW coming forward just because of that article.  The urban areas were more likely to produce recruits but if the PSNI have abandoned their '50/50' recruitment policy I cant see how they will ever hit the magic number, and keep it consistent at that number without positive discrimination.   

I don't think it should ever be the GAAs job to work as a job recruitment agency. ive never saw my local club pushing leaflets for brickies, banks or the NHS, so why should the psni be any different?

Whether the middle roaders like it or not, the whiff of the RUC at the head of the PSNI still lingers.  They needed a full clear out at the top and a clean sweep but it didn't happen. perhaps politically, perhaps practically
Besides all that, whether it be a guard or a psni officer, joining the police force changes your communities perception of you. you are now the enforcer of law and thereby the people, even your friends and family. security dictates you cannot live amongst your people whether that is in unionist or nationalist areas.

joining the police force enforces a natural ostracisation  and that is magnified in a nationalist community.

Has Joe ruined any hope of PSNI recruitment in rural areas? I suspect he has in SW Antrim.

How do you do this though? Serious question. Should they have recruited Guards or British officers??

theskull1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41915005

Nothing unique about this story really as can be seen above or indeed looking at how whistleblowers in business/politics are treated/left isolated. All common human behaviours.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Spike

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 09, 2017, 12:06:32 PM
Quote from: Spike on November 09, 2017, 11:40:18 AM

Whether the middle roaders like it or not, the whiff of the RUC at the head of the PSNI still lingers.  They needed a full clear out at the top and a clean sweep but it didn't happen. perhaps politically, perhaps practically

How do you do this though? Serious question. Should they have recruited Guards or British officers??

It was most likely impossible.  You would have had to bring in a mix of outsiders like Americans, Australians, Guards, British ...even from non English speaking countries, paid top dollar to create a new hierarchy and wait the ten-odd years or so for the 50/50iers to come through.  the 50/50 rule was an absolute must for any success but was always controversial in unionist communities. Now they have made it harder by dropping that policy and trying to rely on advertising within nationalist communities. 

Kickham csc

Quote from: Spike on November 09, 2017, 11:16:10 AM
Quote from: Kickham csc on November 09, 2017, 11:07:21 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 09, 2017, 10:14:25 AM
In the Gaelic life article Brolly wrote:

"Creggans answer to the shocking indictment against them has been "no comment." It is a fine club and has done great work over the last 20 years, but there is something rotten to the core that they need to address now"

Don't think that specifically refers to the community Kickham but can see your point!
:)

The club is the centre of the community in Creggan.

God, has anybody on this site ever been to Creggan? It consists of two pubs, a primary school, with the club in the middle of them all.

You're commenting to a wider audience here Kickham.  Don't forget the cottage and the redevelopment of mclarnons!

vallankumous

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 09, 2017, 12:06:32 PM

Most top level jobs in the police force are managerial.
Any well educated and capable person who understands law could do these roles in conjunction with serving members of the force. It happens all over the world and in all civic departments.
Usually military and police are promoted from within but they are often subject to politicians such as Mayors or Department heads. The Minister for health does not need to be a doctor, the Chief Executive of the NHS does not need to be a doctor and the manager of a hospital does not need to be a doctor.
Why this isn't applied to the PSNi is any ones guess.
There is no administrative reason not to change many at the top.

Therealdonald

I was born in the late 80's, so I could be seen as these new 50/50 generation, if you ask me do I trust the police? Not a chance. It still stinks of sectarianism. We read every day in papers about botched investigations or collusion, why would we want to join that force. I get Owen's point about how no-one is to blame for attacks but the perpetrators, but at the same time the police didn't do their utmost to prevent it. We grew up reading about the Omagh bombs messed up investigation, Drumcree, Collusion and in recent years Camp Twadell. They do nothing to help themselves. But in a weird paradox, I would never join them myself, but if some young nationalist wanted to join now because he wanted to change the status quo, I could understand why.

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 09, 2017, 07:47:43 AM
Now we have fake dissident threats!! You are properly blinded lad... Omagh was fake you'll be telling me next, you probably blame the media for that or the police! I know who you won't blame

The security forces/MI5 etc run this sectarian hellhole as a British statelet. And we all know the British establishment would resort to anything for propaganda purposes. It's not inconceivable that they'd make up dissident threats, stop rush hour traffic, stop and search, raise the security threat level etc, to convince the public that's these boys are at it again. It suits their whole agenda, that every unionist are lawful, peaceful people that just want to live quietly, and these cowboys are continually wrecking the place.

Security forces always seem to find some sort of a device or guns at the very same time that Sinn Fein are under talks/negotiations. That's why no matter the amount of catholic coppers in this hole, the underlining agenda will always be anti-nationalist.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on November 09, 2017, 04:21:48 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 09, 2017, 07:47:43 AM
Now we have fake dissident threats!! You are properly blinded lad... Omagh was fake you'll be telling me next, you probably blame the media for that or the police! I know who you won't blame

The security forces/MI5 etc run this sectarian hellhole as a British statelet. And we all know the British establishment would resort to anything for propaganda purposes. It's not inconceivable that they'd make up dissident threats, stop rush hour traffic, stop and search, raise the security threat level etc, to convince the public that's these boys are at it again. It suits their whole agenda, that every unionist are lawful, peaceful people that just want to live quietly, and these cowboys are continually wrecking the place.

Security forces always seem to find some sort of a device or guns at the very same time that Sinn Fein are under talks/negotiations. That's why no matter the amount of catholic coppers in this hole, the underlining agenda will always be anti-nationalist.

Jesus, that's sad!  Well with people like you keeping the fires burning with this propaganda we'll continue to be a sectarian shithole!

So you're saying there is no dissidents, just law bidding people being picked on, catholic law biding people, with no axe to grind you say? Hmmm now since, oh I'd say the late 80's I've not been searched, arrested, sent to gaol or anything else... but you'd much prefer the cops don't close roads or evacuate people if there is the possibility of a device, and should a device go off and kill someone you'd probably say the cops knew about it and did nothing the feckers!!

Feck you're a busted record, grow up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

east down gael

Are you deliberately misrepresenting what he said MR2?

imtommygunn

Quote from: sid waddell on November 09, 2017, 10:02:44 AM
Quote from: Kickham csc on November 08, 2017, 04:36:54 PM

Disagree, he referred to the community being rotten to the core on the Friday before the response, which put the club in a no win situation, either forced to issue a statement to Joe's liking, or ridiculed for issuing a statement not to Joe's liking.

Where was this, Kickham?

Excellent posts from you on this thread by the way, providing some much needed context and nuance to the story.

I would agree. Actually shows some accuracy and brings a balance here.

I feel for heffron in many ways. Almost seems like he has been used for a self serving agenda here.

I very much doubt there are many clubs who would have done too much differently.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: east down gael on November 09, 2017, 07:20:56 PM
Are you deliberately misrepresenting what he said MR2?
You explain where in my post I represented what he said? As I can see he said MI5 run the show and anything that happens is because the Brits want it to happen!

Are you confused to what he said? Otherwise you are an backing him and actually think that bombing people to bits was the peelers fault at Omagh!! Get a feck life please

east down gael

You're the one who brought up omagh. No one said it was the ruc that did it,or suggested it. The point was that possibly dissident bomb threats might be concocted.not all of them,but possibly some in order to inconvenience those in nationalist areas in order to thwart support for dissidents. Are you telling me that is not a possibility? You yourself have stated before it was a dirty war,with the battle for hearts and minds a huge part of that war.no need for the shite at the end of your post either,it's a discussion.