Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: screenexile on October 17, 2017, 10:11:34 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 AM
Quote from: north aontroim gael on October 17, 2017, 08:57:01 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2017, 08:47:54 AM
Yep and as pointed out previously, there are undoubtedly  hundreds of GAA loving Irish barristers who could present articulate and entertaining insights into our games. But as he's the one who happened to play the (amateur) sport at the highest level, he's the one who gets paid a hefty sum of money for doing so.

I'm still trying to work out how many degrees of separation from the game are necessary before he agrees and it is okay to profit from the game.

I'm not Brolly's biggest fan and disagree with many of his points of view but I've seen it noted in various places previously that he donates his Sunday Game & newspaper fees to charity.

If it were true Brolly would make sure it was well known!

It is widely known that this is the case and that he never charges for appearances at Club's either I'm prettu sure it was mentioned on the sportsjoe.ie podcast he was on.

He's a barrister sure what difference would 500 quid a few weeks of the year make to him for his RTE gig or for writing his column? I'm pretty sure he's in it for the notoriety more so than the money.

Screen it's widely known that he doesn't charge for club appearances or for helping clubs out with legal issues. The truth is that on the whole Brolly is a good egg and a genuine Gael.

But I would have a fairly strong  inkling that this generosity doesn't extend to include his RTE salary. And really, nor should it. He does actually work for the money. Hence the Socrates and Sigerson statement. A few crossed wires, a dollop of romanticism, and no clear denial, makes it an "internet truth".

By the way I've no interest either in Brolly denying it. That's his business.

general_lee

There is quite a difference between earning a wage like Brolly and getting a wad of cash sent your direction by way of a one off testimonial.

screenexile

Quirke's article is very good although it doesn't change my mind that the testimonial is a bad idea it's a really good dig at Brolly!!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/mike-quirke/joe-brolly-playing-the-shame-game-against-colm-cooper-461034.html

thewobbler

Quote from: general_lee on October 17, 2017, 11:42:12 AM
There is quite a difference between earning a wage like Brolly and getting a wad of cash sent your direction by way of a one off testimonial.

Is it that it's all coming to Gooch in one payment annoys you? He'll have to work hard planning and executing his testimonial. Okay, not for a long period time. But there is work involved.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2017, 12:32:12 PM

Is it that it's all coming to Gooch in one payment annoys you? He'll have to work hard planning and executing his testimonial. Okay, not for a long period time. But there is work involved.

Surely an events company will cover this aspect....for a cost of course!

rrhf

Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2017, 11:30:15 AM
Yep and as pointed out previously, there are undoubtedly  hundreds of GAA loving Irish barristers who could present articulate and entertaining insights into our games. But as he's the one who happened to play the (amateur) sport at the highest level, he's the one who gets paid a hefty sum of money for doing so.

I'm still trying to work out how many degrees of separation from the game are necessary before he agrees and it is okay to profit from the game.

I'm not Brolly's biggest fan and disagree with many of his points of view but I've seen it noted in various places previously that he donates his Sunday Game & newspaper fees to charity.

It is widely known that this is the case and that he never charges for appearances at Club's either I'm prettu sure it was mentioned on the sportsjoe.ie podcast he was on.

He's a barrister sure what difference would 500 quid a few weeks of the year make to him for his RTE gig or for writing his column? I'm pretty sure he's in it for the notoriety more so than the money.

Screen it's widely known that he doesn't charge for club appearances or for helping clubs out with legal issues. The truth is that on the whole Brolly is a good egg and a genuine Gael.

But I would have a fairly strong  inkling that this generosity doesn't extend to include his RTE salary. And really, nor should it. He does actually work for the money. Hence the Socrates and Sigerson statement. A few crossed wires, a dollop of romanticism, and no clear denial, makes it an "internet truth".

By the way I've no interest either in Brolly denying it. That's his business.
I think that's a fair comment. There's areas where you will agree with Brolly and he is the best placed to forefront those views on behalf of the vast majority of grassroots members. Let's face it he is a thorn in the side of those who couldn't give two tosses about the club and community model. and I think he deserves great respect for that. In fairness a plot of people are concerned about testimonials for players who would have done well out of the game. The Gaa model relies so much on fundraising and good will from businesses and individuals. Surely Clubs counties and lother community organisations all chase down the same pot. If individuals start going down that line something else more worthwhile will Miss out in the real world that we live in.
And Then brolly balances these views with an anti Tyrone agenda amongst other things. He has that bit of a bollix in him, but then if you ask any self respecting Tyrone man if he could put the boot relentlessly into Derry - he would do the same. Maybe not just as venomous... ;)

joemamas

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 17, 2017, 12:33:16 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2017, 12:32:12 PM

Surely an events company will cover this aspect....for a cost of course!

Wobbler surely you jest, the PR/ event organizers are salivating at the thought of a few of these a year. Do you really think that Colin Cooper woke up one morning and went
" ya know what, I am going to be the first Gaelic Footballer that will have a testimonial" if you believe that I have a bridge you may be interested in buying.

While I was a big admirer of Colin Cooper during his playing days, I am 100% against this.
As I mentioned on a prior post, he has every right to monetize his incredible ability as a gaelic footballer and good luck to him,  but IMO he could have done so in somewhat of a more dignified manner, i.e. be a TV pundit or a journalist for the next twenty years, really not that difficult of "a job" in addition to his day job, he would have done very well for himself, with his reputation intact.

As for Brolly, I don't always agree, I feel he is correct on this. As for his comment on Kerry players book's, spot on, half stories that are about as entertaining as watching paint dry.

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on October 17, 2017, 12:12:13 PM
Quirke's article is very good although it doesn't change my mind that the testimonial is a bad idea it's a really good dig at Brolly!!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/mike-quirke/joe-brolly-playing-the-shame-game-against-colm-cooper-461034.html

Good article. The only way you could find brollys most recent article funny is if you have a real jealousy of the success kerry have had over the years. As regards the testimonial dinner it's a terrible idea on cooper's behalf but brolly is now just using it to get digs and in at cooper and kerry in general.

Asal Mor

Quote from: lenny on October 17, 2017, 02:19:03 PM

Good article. The only way you could find brollys most recent article funny is if you have a real jealousy of the success kerry have had over the years. As regards the testimonial dinner it's a terrible idea on cooper's behalf but brolly is now just using it to get digs and in at cooper and kerry in general.
Dead right Lenny.

JoG2

Quote from: lenny on October 17, 2017, 02:19:03 PM

Quirke gives the 'Sparrow' a fair jag there, and you couldn't help thinking whilst reading it that Brolly is presently preparing a revenge dig at Quirke, and round and round we go. There's a good few columnists I read every week, Brolly is one of them, the vast majority I really enjoy, but that latest one was absolute cringe.

Jim Bob

How do you know it's widely known?
I have read where Brolly states that he never charges for appearances at club events etc but never have head him or read where he said that he donates his RTE fee to charity.
Perhaps you could throw up a link?

Last Man

Quote from: Jim Bob on October 17, 2017, 02:42:01 PM

I have read where Brolly states that he never charges for appearances at club events etc but never have head him or read where he said that he donates his RTE fee to charity.

Aye must've got a fair few quid for the kidney as well and all the work he does lobbying for CF sufferers to name a couple . The huer needs stopped in his tracks!  ::)

longballin

Quote from: Last Man on October 17, 2017, 03:29:02 PM

Aye must've got a fair few quid for the kidney as well and all the work he does lobbying for CF sufferers to name a couple . The huer needs stopped in his tracks!  ::)

I agree with much of what Joe says and Cooper had this coming to him for telling porky pies on the Late Late Show... but of course Joe gets paid for RTE work. Like why wouldn't he? Being a sports pundit is not an amateur sport like say... Gaelic football

LooseCannon

Quote from: longballin on October 17, 2017, 03:53:55 PM

I agree with much of what Joe says and Cooper had this coming to him for telling porky pies on the Late Late Show... but of course Joe gets paid for RTE work. Like why wouldn't he? Being a sports pundit is not an amateur sport like say... Gaelic football

To be fair, he doesn't do it for the money. He's a barrister. He wants to have his opinion heard. That's all. He loves publicity.

longballin

Quote from: LooseCannon on October 17, 2017, 04:48:48 PM
Quote from: longballin on October 17, 2017, 03:53:55 PM

To be fair, he doesn't do it for the money. He's a barrister. He wants to have his opinion heard. That's all. He loves publicity.

Aye there is a truth to that, though he calls out a lot of stuff needs called out.