Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Do yourself a favour and stop engaging with this gobshite

BennyHarp

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 17, 2017, 11:11:42 PM

Point taken, I didn't even read who posted it to be honest.
That was never a square ball!!

The Stallion

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 17, 2017, 11:08:41 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on April 17, 2017, 11:02:27 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 17, 2017, 10:58:45 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on April 17, 2017, 10:46:19 PM
I have long thought that every single foul should be punished with a minimum of a yellow card. Usually fouling is not a natural consequence of a fast, physical game, it's a deliberate act of cheating to gain an unfair advantage. As such it should be punished more harshly than it is currently.

People would whine about games finishing with 10 red cards but the truth is if someone knows they will be punished for any transgression they'll cut out the petty stuff like pulling jerseys or mouthing and most other types of foul. This can only improve the game.

It wouldn't prevent the last minute Cavanagh style rugby tackles but there's ways to deal with that too.

Few refs are implementing this idea already

No refs are implementing this idea. They're letting persistent offenders away with cheating repeatedly.

So you're proposing to stop the game and book a player for every foul committed during a game? You should just watch another sport really as competitive team sport clearly isn't something you enjoy. What about Basketball maybe? Or as Joe Brolly suggested, tennis?

The point is if fouls were punished properly there would be less of them. I'm surprised you failed to grasp that.

The Stallion

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 17, 2017, 11:11:42 PM

Please feel free to completely ignore my posts rather than just insult me without even attempting a coherent rebuttal of my suggestion.

J70

Quote from: Zulu on April 17, 2017, 08:53:16 PM
That's easy to say but that's putting the referee in a very awkward situation. Indeed, if the penalty for a cynical foul (what's the definition for a start?) is a 20m free or if in a goal scoring position (define that?) a lot of players could well try to play for that resulting in referees getting hauled over the coals on the SG when replays show the forward dived or grabbed the hand and pulled the defender down.

Blatant diving or manufacturing the foul through the grabbing of the defender's arm can easily be dealt with by retrospective punishment. Give a player a punitive suspension, and he'll think twice about doing it again. Of course, that is only really plausible for intercounty championship, but that is the case at the moment anyway with any kind of video evidence-based discipline.

As for goal-scoring position, they've no problem with the concept in soccer. I don't see much difference. Last defender commits foul and prevents the forward advancing in on goal and/or getting his shot off. I wouldn't even worry too much about the cynical part if the fouled team is not getting the raw end of the deal. Throw the card in on top of the penalty or handy free to deal with that part.

J70

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 17, 2017, 08:31:18 PM
Yeah but how do you define a clear run on goal?

Obviously something for the GAA technocrats to deal with, but soccer has no problem with the concept. Last defender fouling someone who would otherwise be on an unimpeded path towards the goal.

LeoMc

Quote from: J70 on April 18, 2017, 02:24:54 AM
Quote from: Zulu on April 17, 2017, 08:53:16 PM
That's easy to say but that's putting the referee in a very awkward situation. Indeed, if the penalty for a cynical foul (what's the definition for a start?) is a 20m free or if in a goal scoring position (define that?) a lot of players could well try to play for that resulting in referees getting hauled over the coals on the SG when replays show the forward dived or grabbed the hand and pulled the defender down.

Blatant diving or manufacturing the foul through the grabbing of the defender's arm can easily be dealt with by retrospective punishment. Give a player a punitive suspension, and he'll think twice about doing it again. Of course, that is only really plausible for intercounty championship, but that is the case at the moment anyway with any kind of video evidence-based discipline.

As for goal-scoring position, they've no problem with the concept in soccer. I don't see much difference. Last defender commits foul and prevents the forward advancing in on goal and/or getting his shot off. I wouldn't even worry too much about the cynical part if the fouled team is not getting the raw end of the deal. Throw the card in on top of the penalty or handy free to deal with that part.
We don't have off side. Maher was not the last defender by a long way last Sunday.

Taylor

Last man back simply wouldnt work.

What if there was a 3 attackers v 2 defenders scenario? Defender pulls a man down - isnt last man back so doesnt count?

The Stallion

I'm heartened to see nobody could see any genuine issues with my yellow card minimum for every foul suggestion.

I don't think it's a perfect solution myself but it would be a move in the right direction.

Taylor

Quote from: The Stallion on April 18, 2017, 09:56:00 AM
I'm heartened to see nobody could see any genuine issues with my yellow card minimum for every foul suggestion.

I don't think it's a perfect solution myself but it would be a move in the right direction.

Netball and basketball already exist.

Nonsense idea which would result in zero contact in the game

The Stallion

Quote from: Taylor on April 18, 2017, 10:02:06 AM

Why would it result in zero contact? If would force players  to actually try and win the ball when tackling rather than just hitting and pulling jerseys.

Taylor

Quote from: The Stallion on April 18, 2017, 10:14:55 AM
Quote from: Taylor on April 18, 2017, 10:02:06 AM

Why would it result in zero contact? If would force players  to actually try and win the ball when tackling rather than just hitting and pulling jerseys.

Referees cant determine what a foul is now - imagine if it resulted in a card every time they blew. It would make the game worse then ever.

The Stallion

I disagree. It would make it easier for refs because players would be more careful when tackling.

Hotrocks

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
more brains in a false face

The Stallion

You seem unwilling or unable to make any sort of coherent rebuttal.