Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhandefender

Quote from: you take er! on December 21, 2016, 04:19:21 PM
Quote from: redhandefender on December 21, 2016, 03:29:55 PM
Quote from: you take er! on December 21, 2016, 10:40:06 AM
Quote from: redhandefender on December 20, 2016, 03:46:18 PM
Quote from: you take er! on December 19, 2016, 04:02:55 PM
There is no doubt that Joe Brolly can go too far in his comments at times but I much prefer his written word to his spoken.

While I don't agree with everything he says I felt (and still do) that his article in response to An tUachtarán's comments were right on the money. While it may seem to some that Joe went off on one i think it was his depth of feeling on the subject which led him to go down a few different avenues in his attempt to convey how some of us would feel about the subject of our flag and anthem's potential removal.

I think those of us who were able to celebrate their nationality and culture without fear of contradiction or reprisal can find it hard to understand the depth of feeling and sense of belonging to these things. for a long time 'up here' GAA games were often the only place we could play / sing the anthem and fly the flag in safety. British state forces would remove it if they became aware of its presence.

As a result these 2 things became very precious to many of us and have remained so therefore talk of their removal will at the very least arise strong feelings. Joe's article was an example of that.

As for Conlon's article - it doesn't deserve comment and its removal and apology from the Indo is testament to its usefulness.

You just sound like a green version of Jamie Bryson! KKKKulture

Joe Brolly is a self obsessed egotistical piece of work. Horrible horrible man in person. Buy into his crap and feed the ego.

He could have made his point about the flag and anthem without trying to deepen divides and and underlines a "them uns versus us" divide in the north.
A quite unbelievable post. My friend, you are sorely misguided or more likely, lacking in basic common sense to equate anything in my post with the rhetoric of Jamie Bryson. At no point did I go on the attack in regard to British / Orange culture make reference to my Protestant neighbours in a derogatory way (or any way for that matter). Merely stated facts in regard to how many in the Northern GAA family feel in this regard. I could go on but I fear I may cross a line, as blind stupidity in people often can bring out the worst in me.
In any case...Nollaig Shona Mo Chara.

Alas my friend, I fear that you are the misguided one. Jamie Bryson comparison was a metaphor for the fact that you are so locked in your own deep seeded political believes that any change seems like an attack on your culture.

How can you state as fact how someone else other than yourself feels? That is your opinion. I agree there are plenty in the north who share your views and unfortunately it will probably take another 20 years to wear that away. Your statement although articulate still masks a deep seeded fear within you just like the loyalist community fear of removable or softening anything they see of the own.

I am sure you have went through a lot like us all in the north but hanging on to symbols or brandishing them in what ever way will forever make it impossible to completely integrate in the north. The GAA was not created just for you or for one section of the community, you don't own it. Just like a lot of the things in the north aren't designed for the unionist community although they pitch up their flag on it. The GAA has a big chance to show how progressive and inclusive it is by even attempting to soften the nationalism in some symbolic way at the games.

And if you think brollys article was anything other than to get a reaction then you are the one lacking in common sense. He talks one week about hiskids playing rugby and mixing with protestant schools and how times have changed. Then a month later he writes an article that if a protestant read (and I had one in work who likes the Gaa read) would be disgusted by. He should not be linking politics and sport in the north in such a flippant way.

Nothing you have said in this latest post detracts from my initial thoughts re your comments. You tie yourself in knots here - criticising my use of the term fact - I live in South Armagh so I know it to be fact how my friends neighbours & colleagues feel yet in the next breath you agree that many will hold the same view - so is it not then fact that many people hold this view?

It is in fact amazing that you refer to our national flag as 'a symbol' indeed, you speak of 'brandishing' this 'symbol' - as if it were something offensive...even a weapon? You appear to be safe in your understanding of the origins of the GAA saying that I do not own it. Well sir, any paid up member of the Association surely owns a little bit of it given how it is organised and is therefore entitled to their say through their club AGM, County convention and even Congress. you also state that it was not created for one section of the community. You are right it was created for ALL Irish people the vision of which was under the one flag. The GAA was created as a direct response to the way in which Irish culture was being eliminated, and the Founding Fathers wanted to revive that culture through its games. Our flag and Anthem are part of that culture which it appears people, like yourself, are happy to errode. I wonder how those in Hayes' Hotel would view this attitude. But forgive me, this is perhaps living in the past, but i am a strong believer that if you don't know where you've come from, you don't know where you are going.
PS I find your profile name as interesting as the club you include in that profile and perhaps explains the stance you are taking here - just a thought

It will take 20 years to change any views in South Armagh for obvious reasons. I don't have the time nor could be bothered. Have a good Christmas and I don't think you need to worry about anything changing any time soon, its the GAA after all.

The world has changed a lot since the founding fathers created the GAA even if parts of South Armagh haven't.

But brolly is a disgrace and if you think in anyway he's doing it as some patriotic stance to represent people with your view you are kidding yourself.

foxcommander

PS I find your profile name as interesting as the club you include in that profile and perhaps explains the stance you are taking here - just a thought

Got the Rangers bit right ;)
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

twohands!!!

Quote from: foxcommander on December 21, 2016, 05:48:52 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on December 21, 2016, 04:29:11 PM
Comedy gold from Joe

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-dictator-jim-mcguinness-is-one-to-talk-about-respect-31266683.html

Spot on though. Call it as it is.

The stuff about free speech is just ludicrous when he's sending off solicitors' letters - Free speech as a concept is all about letting people say whatever they what no matter how offensive/wrong you find it.

"I disprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

foxcommander

Quote from: twohands!!! on December 21, 2016, 06:36:15 PM
Comedy gold from Joe

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-dictator-jim-mcguinness-is-one-to-talk-about-respect-31266683.html

The stuff about free speech is just ludicrous when he's sending off solicitors' letters - Free speech as a concept is all about letting people say whatever they what no matter how offensive/wrong you find it.

"I disprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

There are some lines that can't be crossed. Joe put that Conlon w**ker back in his box and rightly so.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Jinxy

Free speech is still subject to legal standards.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: twohands!!! on December 21, 2016, 06:36:15 PM
Comedy gold from Joe

There you go.

One standard for Joe, one for everyone else.
MWWSI 2017

twohands!!!

Quote from: Jinxy on December 21, 2016, 06:44:59 PM
Free speech is still subject to legal standards.

Yeah but you can't put yourself forward as a crusader/defender of free speech and at the same time  be someone who is using the legal system to quell others rights to say what they want unless you want to be seen as a complete hypocrite.

Bazil Douglas

There are some lines that can't be crossed. Joe put that Conlon w**ker back in his box and rightly so.
[/quote]

The professional V the amateur.

muppet

Quote from: Bazil Douglas on December 21, 2016, 11:32:25 PM

The professional V the amateur.
[/quote]

Do some lads here think that journalists just write about whatever they want, post it in and it goes onto the paper without anyone having a look at it?
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

What I do know is that CF charity came in for a very unexpected windfall thanks to Tommy and an editor who didn't seem to find much harm in Tommy's response to Joe's article of the week before.

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on December 21, 2016, 11:37:26 PM
What I do know is that CF charity came in for a very unexpected windfall thanks to Tommy and an editor who didn't seem to find much harm in Tommy's response to Joe's article of the week before.

I doubt if both journalists will stay at the Indo.

Is this is like one of those Games of Thrones Scenes where the winner and loser suddenly realise they are the opposite to what they thought they were?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Joe will be happy to have made 200 pages ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

you take er!

Quote from: foxcommander on December 21, 2016, 05:34:03 PM

His profile name is that of a Loyalist terror group & the club he names inthat profile does not exist. Less a Gael, more of a troll I fear. Explains a lot

redhandefender

Quote from: you take er! on December 22, 2016, 12:43:43 AM
Quote from: foxcommander on December 21, 2016, 05:34:03 PM

Keep trying to free Ireland lad like all the other big mawn down in south,armagh

His profile name is that of a Loyalist terror group & the club he names inthat profile does not exist. Less a Gael, more of a troll I fear. Explains a lot