Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: clawaddy on December 18, 2016, 05:40:34 PM
Like many on this board I enjoy reading Joe's articles. He usually makes good points but sometimes does get a bit personal. However in relation to this recent article relating to him in the Independent he was entirely justified in seeking an apology.  When I first read the article I was shocked at the tone and the inaccuracies in it.  I could not believe that anyone would be so stupid and ill-informed to write it and secondly a paper to publish it. It surely must cast doubt on the judgement of the editorial team. Some people on here are critical of him for "giving it but not taking it".  He did not have any other option.  Anyone with a public reputation would have done the same.
I wouldn't overplay the positive effect of Joe's journalistic profile here  or underplay his taste for the personal. 

On any issue related with the north, as is also evidenced on the GAA board and even in this thread, Conlon the journalist is quite representative of many southern folks' opinions about nordies, republicans, the war, ira, sinn fein, Adams and McGuinness. The deliberately dullard Conlon is probably more in line with the populist reactionary profile of that newspaper's editorial board,  whereas Joe's sentiments on the north and republicans would be out of line. It's just that Joe's occasional sound opinion is usually masked by the avalanche  of indo approved attention seeking nonsense ;D
In this matter, it's probably more a source of annoyance to the Indo that Joe is a prickly barrister, than Conlon went overboard.
Though the Indo does give vent to journalists like Joe (the occasional trad republican) and the reputable Gene Kerrigan, the ratio of insanity to normal could be in the region of 100/1.

I'm glad Joe took action (I assume it was Joe)  that caused the article to be withdrawn, not so much for what was written about Joe  but just for the inherent reactionary awfulness of the article, an insult to free speech.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 18, 2016, 02:45:14 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on December 18, 2016, 02:01:05 PM
I can't think of any instance where Joe's comments could be said to have damaged the professional reputation of a player though.
He's just generally being a dick.
Most people would know Joe is a barrister.
Drawing a line between him and the IRA/INLA, regardless of his political leanings, is a pretty silly thing to do, especially given that Joe has taken legal action against a journalist for this very reason before.
Incredibly poor judgement from the sports editor.

I'm fairly sure his comments about Enda McNulty would have damaged his professional reputation. His comments re.Sean Cavanagh didn't help his professional reputation either. But sure Joe lthe bully likes to throw out the insults then uses his own professional reputation to ensure nobody throws shit back.

McNulty is involved in a villainous field to be fair.

muppet

Quote from: clawaddy on December 18, 2016, 05:40:34 PM
Like many on this board I enjoy reading Joe's articles. He usually makes good points but sometimes does get a bit personal. However in relation to this recent article relating to him in the Independent he was entirely justified in seeking an apology.  When I first read the article I was shocked at the tone and the inaccuracies in it.  I could not believe that anyone would be so stupid and ill-informed to write it and secondly a paper to publish it. It surely must cast doubt on the judgement of the editorial team. Some people on here are critical of him for "giving it but not taking it".  He did not have any other option.  Anyone with a public reputation would have done the same.

;D ;D ;D ;D

You are not a MON!
MWWSI 2017

Seany

Because Brolly is in the legal profession, he knows how to hurt someone; really give them hard, spiteful digs, but not to stray into the area of defamation himself. This only makes him even more objectionable.  The fact that he can't take it himself and runs to the legal route whenever things get hot for him shows him to be an even more flawed character;  he can dish it out, but he can't take it. A certain recently retired Ulster footballer could attest to that when Brolly direct messaged him on Twitter telling him he was going to sue him if he didn't take down something he wrote on Twitter. This same man has been crucified (all within the law of course) by Brolly. He's a p***k.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Seany on December 19, 2016, 07:22:00 AM
Because Brolly is in the legal profession, he knows how to hurt someone; really give them hard, spiteful digs, but not to stray into the area of defamation himself. This only makes him even more objectionable.  The fact that he can't take it himself and runs to the legal route whenever things get hot for him shows him to be an even more flawed character;  he can dish it out, but he can't take it. A certain recently retired Ulster footballer could attest to that when Brolly direct messaged him on Twitter telling him he was going to sue him if he didn't take down something he wrote on Twitter. This same man has been crucified (all within the law of course) by Brolly. He's a p***k.

I remember that tweet and wondering if it would get him in trouble. Can't remember him being crucified unless it was the typical "wouldn't kick snow off a rope" rte analysis.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 18, 2016, 02:47:58 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on December 18, 2016, 02:47:09 PM
The McNulty one is tricky as he's essentially going after the profession of sports psychology itself.

But made it personal by singling out McNulty.

He's had a cut at Kieran Shannon before as well as the profession.

five points

Quote from: Main Street on December 18, 2016, 06:47:55 PM
On any issue related with the north, as is also evidenced on the GAA board and even in this thread, Conlon the journalist is quite representative of many southern folks' opinions about nordies, republicans, the war, ira, sinn fein, Adams and McGuinness. The deliberately dullard Conlon is probably more in line with the populist reactionary profile of that newspaper's editorial board,  whereas Joe's sentiments on the north and republicans would be out of line. It's just that Joe's occasional sound opinion is usually masked by the avalanche  of indo approved attention seeking nonsense ;D

Conlon is from Ballinamore, a town that is notorious as a base for violent republicanism, and which has suffered for decades as a result.

Bord na Mona man

I'd say Tommy Conlon has cost the Sindo more in legal fees than he has in his wages this past few years.
He got the ass sued off them for an article on Brian Carthy a few years back.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on December 19, 2016, 11:04:43 AM
I'd say Tommy Conlon has cost the Sindo more in legal fees than he has in his wages this past few years.

What was that again?

five points

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/apology-to-brian-carthy-rte-gaelic-games-commentator-26237742.html

No mention of money changing hands though.

I wonder if this latest episode marks the end of Brolly's involvement with the Sindo?

Jinxy

No way.
It gives Joe a massive platform that he won't give up.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 19, 2016, 11:16:54 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on December 19, 2016, 11:04:43 AM

What was that again?
The Brian Carthy thing?
Conlon laid into him a few years in a fairly vindictive article about his commentary style.
The Sindo apologised and paid out. These pay outs are typically over 100k.

The original article was obviously pulled, but here was some of the reaction to it.
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/brian-carthys-good-name-26249285.html

vallankumous

Quote from: longballin on December 18, 2016, 01:51:55 PM

so tell us the libellous remarks he has made - sounds like your understanding of libel is limited?

He said Sean Cavanagh 'is not a man'
Sean Cavanagh is a man

longballin

Quote from: vallankumous on December 19, 2016, 11:33:27 AM

so tell us the libellous remarks he has made - sounds like your understanding of libel is limited?

Sean Cavanagh is a man

was out of order but wasn't libelous. He awkwardly said his actions were not those of a man, was ott

Jinxy

Quote from: vallankumous on December 19, 2016, 11:33:27 AM

Sean Cavanagh is a man

Prove it!
If you were any use you'd be playing.