Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

It's more befitting of a column you would read in the sun but should make for more interesting debate in the week ahead.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 11, 2016, 07:31:49 PM
Quote from: longballin on December 11, 2016, 06:37:42 PM
His comments about Kevin Lynch were disgusting.

I think elements of the following paragraph are a bit unnecessarily inflammatory alright. More like something Ian O'Doherty would write replete with wee dig at the hunger strikers.

QuoteKevin Lynch played underage hurling for Dungiven before he moved on to greater things. He decided to do a bit of killing for Ireland and, after that, a bit of dying for Ireland. He didn't join the IRA, on the grounds presumably that they were a bit slack in the depravity department. Instead he joined the INLA, which happily had an even more bestial disposition. Lynch died by suicide in 1981. He hadn't eaten any grub in Long Kesh for a few months.

And that's being kind to Tommy "I'm a gas lad" Conlon GBB.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

I have no doubt that this has more to do with sticking it to the Shinners, than going after Joe himself.
This is the Sindo remember.
Not that I have any real problem with people sticking it to the Shinners.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on December 12, 2016, 10:00:34 AM
I have no doubt that this has more to do with sticking it to the Shinners, than going after Joe himself.

I have a huge problem with people sticking it to the Shinners. Insofar as the motive of sticking it to the Shinners is to cover up a news story that FG/FF want to bury. Have you heard the name Jonathan Sugarman in the traditional media much since his appearance on Vincent Browne last Monday?

muppet

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 12, 2016, 10:08:26 AM

I have a huge problem with people sticking it to the Shinners. Insofar as the motive of sticking it to the Shinners is to cover up a news story that FG/FF want to bury. Have you heard the name Jonathan Sugarman in the traditional media much since his appearance on Vincent Browne last Monday?

Croi he has been on the go for nearly a decade. It is certainly a story, but not news.
MWWSI 2017

Seany

It's very simple.  One attention seeking writer uses ridiculous, offensive  extremes to illustrate his point, and then gets answered by another attention seeker who uses ridiculous, offensive extremes to illustrate his answer.  Both are actually perfect examples of where media in Ireland is today.  It's like when a bunch of loyalist thugs decide to burn a GAA hall, so a bunch of republican thugs burn an orange hall which is responded to by the loyalists burning another hall etc etc... Meanwhile the gaels and the brethren are looking on bewildered and bereft and totally help

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: muppet on December 12, 2016, 10:22:28 AM

Croi he has been on the go for nearly a decade. It is certainly a story, but not news.

Spot on muppet. It's taken near 10 years to get his story into the mainstream media and then along comes a populist Shinner bashing story, prompted by INM no less, that will fizzle out and go nowhere like all the others have. Meanwhile the story that has been affecting all our lives for the past 10 years and will be affecting ours and our children's lives for the next how many years are left to repay the promissory notes. He didn't even get invited to the banking inquiry ffs.

Jinxy

Was it not Adams himself who brought the killing of Brian Stack up in the Dáil at the start of December?
This then led Austin Stack to dispute his version of events.
Are the media supposed to ignore this?
It never ceases to amaze me how some people are so willing to give SF a pass for pretty much everything, whilst demanding that heads roll over the economic crash.
It's possible to hold everyone to account.
Whatever about being involved in a struggle against the occupation of the six counties, the IRA committed countless murders, robberies etc. in the Republic of Ireland during that time.
If a criminal gang in Mountjoy ordered the murder of a prison officer for simply doing his job, there would be national uproar.
I'm well aware of Sugarman's story, and have been for some time.
I fail to see how this connects with the murder of Brian Stack.

Main Street

I fail to see what all that has to do with the trash article by a populist trash journalist attacking 'our Joe'?
Perhaps there are parallels with this hysterical journalist trash and the typical hysterical trash that is thrown Sinn Fein's way?

Jinxy

I would agree that the Sindo go out of their way to do it time and again, which is why I made the connection in the first place.
I'm not a big fan of the 'Don't hit me while I'm holding the peace process' approach either though.
A prison officer with a young family was shot in the neck, left paralysed & brain damaged, and eventually died, just because he wasn't letting the IRA have it all their own way in Portlaoise.

MoChara

Have they pulled that Tommy Conlon article or what from the website? I see Balls.ie mentioning it  just
https://www.balls.ie/gaa/tommy-conlon/354262

Jinxy

Potential libel?
Joe has been quick to act on stuff like this before (when he was referred to as an 'IRA/INLA cheerleader').

https://eamondelaney.wordpress.com/2014/05/29/apology-to-mr-joe-brolly/

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on December 12, 2016, 10:55:06 AM
Was it not Adams himself who brought the killing of Brian Stack up in the Dáil at the start of December?
This then led Austin Stack to dispute his version of events.
Are the media supposed to ignore this?
It never ceases to amaze me how some people are so willing to give SF a pass for pretty much everything, whilst demanding that heads roll over the economic crash.
It's possible to hold everyone to account.
Whatever about being involved in a struggle against the occupation of the six counties, the IRA committed countless murders, robberies etc. in the Republic of Ireland during that time.
If a criminal gang in Mountjoy ordered the murder of a prison officer for simply doing his job, there would be national uproar.
I'm well aware of Sugarman's story, and have been for some time.
I fail to see how this connects with the murder of Brian Stack.
How much reporting have we heard on Brian Stack in the last week?
How much reporting have we heard on Jonathan Sugarman in the last week?
And why is that?

yellowcard

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 12, 2016, 10:37:44 AM
Quote from: muppet on December 12, 2016, 10:22:28 AM

Spot on muppet. It's taken near 10 years to get his story into the mainstream media and then along comes a populist Shinner bashing story, prompted by INM no less, that will fizzle out and go nowhere like all the others have. Meanwhile the story that has been affecting all our lives for the past 10 years and will be affecting ours and our children's lives for the next how many years are left to repay the promissory notes. He didn't even get invited to the banking inquiry ffs.

Thought the same myself with the timing of the Adams story. It was a complete smokescreen to prevent the Sugarman story from going anywhere. The old brigade of Shinner leaders have that many skeletons in the closet that they can be conveniently wheeled out at any moment to cover up the multitude of white collar crime perpetuated by those in authority. Large parts of the media are complicit in all of this and it pays to have friends in high places as a form of protection. 

Jinxy

We'll have to agree to disagree, somewhat.
The last thing I'll say is that Adams brought it up in the Dail himself on December 7th when he said he had emailed the names of 4 people to the Garda Commissioner, and those names had been given to him by Austin Stack.
Austin Stack disputes this, and said he never gave any names to Adams, which means one of them is lying.
He also stated the last time he and his brother met with Adams was November 2013, but Adams said he sent the names to the Garda Commissioner in an email on 22nd February 2016 'in the immediate aftermath' of a meeting with him and his brother.
That's newsworthy to me.
Now, this isn't really the appropriate forum to continue this discussion, but I know where you stand, and I think you know where I stand so lets leave it at that.
Conlon's article was nonsense in the context of Brolly's response to the flag/anthem issue, and I feel this isn't the last we've heard of it.