Quote from: BennyHarp on November 18, 2016, 04:14:33 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2016, 03:38:58 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 18, 2016, 03:21:23 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2016, 03:09:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 18, 2016, 02:56:34 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2016, 02:46:23 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 18, 2016, 01:23:57 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 18, 2016, 12:53:09 PM
I'd agree with Joe in principle in terms of the increasing regularity with which the incredibly serious issue of mental health seems to be used to shut down debate.
I have no doubt that Caroline has been contacted by players and has passed them on to the appropriate service, but I don't see what that has to do with sports psychology.
She's effectively saying players would commit suicide without sports psychologists.
If the team masseur was a good listener and the players would confide in him about mental health, that's great but I'm not sure that it validates the health benefits of message.
That's a hypothetical example, I love a good massage, but you see what I'm saying... hopefully.
That said, Joe's initial premise (which started all this) which conflated motivational speaking and self-help gurus with sports psychology was utter nonsense as well.

She doesn't say that though. She highlights the shortage of clinical psychologists and I would read it simply as saying that sports psychologists are finding that their role has taking on a deeper personal involvement, filling the void. She highlights Conor Cusack's role with the GPA as doing something similar. I see on Twitter Joe the hero thinks he knows more about suicide and counseling and highlights two of his clients committed suicide in the last 2 weeks. The man is repugnant.

She alludes to it, the quote again is :

Quotehow important it is for sports psychologists around this country going into these clubs

Now I doubt any professional sports psychologist is going to volunteer their time and services and make themselves available to "these clubs" when necessary. She is trying to push her profession and using suicide prevention to try to shame Brolly and anyone else into silence. A scurrilous act.

Instead of attacking her, maybe we should consider that she might have identified a serious problem? I am not saying that Sports Psychologists are the answer to it, but we must at least look at the issue.

The issue is being looked at I think muppet, clubs now have to appoint Health and Wellbeing Officers who are trained in the area.

Looking at the job description, it is a long way short of a qualified psychologist (be it sports or otherwise): http://ulster.gaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/HWO-Role-Description.pdf

Of course they are not going to be qualified psychologists but they are trained to deal with situations when they arise, where to seek advice and how to identify if anyone is in need of help. A hell of a lot more helpful that someone who can listen and pull bits they half heard at a GPA shindig.

This is a genuine question, as I don't know, but are sports psychologists, not qualified psychologists?

anyone can call themselves a 'psychologist' but 'sport  psychologist' is restricted by law as are more other specialized psychologists posts
A sports psychologist "is one who has a doctoral degree in one of the primary areas of psychology and licensure as a psychologist. This proficiency should not be confused with those who have earned a doctoral degree in sport psychology, but are not licensed psychologists."

Captain Obvious

Fair play to Diarmuid Connolly for telling it like it is. It's seems to part of the RTE sport coverage to have at least one clown in the studio.

Rossfan

He got the basic fact of his argument wrong ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: yellowcard on December 07, 2016, 12:08:06 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 06, 2016, 10:01:10 AM
When the best footballer in country calls you a clown maybe the penny might drop for Brolly, I doubt it though.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/diarmuid-connolly-blames-rte-clown-for-black-card-rules-433881.html

So Connolly's opinion carries more weight and is laden in fact simply because he is the best footballer in the country? Since when did Diarmuid Connolly become spokesperson for all gaels?

Like a lot of people I imagine, I have a conflicted view of Brolly. One minute you are left lauding him the next minute loathing him but he is never boring, I'd say that much.

I have no conflicted view of Brolly, he is an arsehole.

I just liked that Connolly who is the best footballer in the country thinks Brolly is a clown. Whether Connolly is factually correct or not is incidental, he called out Brolly, I admire sports people currently still playing who actually give an opinion.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

What the flying fûck is the Tyrone secretary on talking about banning pundits for saying things he doesn't like? Only in Tyrone.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=264035

And Diarmuid feckin Connolly criticising discipline. Just lol.

Rossfan

You just bet me to it on the Tyrone thing Syfín ;D
What will they do - ban them from all GAA activities or with old their All Ireland tickets?
I presume Internet posters will be next - you might get banned from McHale Park Syfín :P

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 07, 2016, 07:58:53 PM
Fair play to Diarmuid Connolly for telling it like it is. It's seems to part of the RTE sport coverage to have at least one clown in the studio.
It actually is. Dunphy, George Hook (previous model) or Brolly plus 2 straight faces.
You can't have a situation where everyone agrees with each other
And it's a circus anyway. People want to be entertained.

Dunphy made a nice career out of talking shite.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on December 09, 2016, 11:27:00 AM
What the flying fûck is the Tyrone secretary on talking about banning pundits for saying things he doesn't like? Only in Tyrone.

At least he didn't specifically refer to the 'Free-State media'.
By Tyrone standards, that demonstrates admirable restraint and diplomacy.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

criostlinn

Quote from: heffo on December 07, 2016, 10:55:57 AM
Quote from: joemamas on December 06, 2016, 01:26:18 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 06, 2016, 11:51:22 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 06, 2016, 11:39:21 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 06, 2016, 10:01:10 AM
When the best footballer in country calls you a clown maybe the penny might drop for Brolly, I doubt it though.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/diarmuid-connolly-blames-rte-clown-for-black-card-rules-433881.html
Black card rule was passed at Congress 3 months before that Cavanagh's foul and Brolly's rant.
It's implementation was postponed till the following 1st January.
But don't let the truth get in the way of an urban myth.

Spot on. Looking forward to Brolly's response, he never forgets about a shot across his bows.

Not to restart All-Ireland thread again, but are his comments a tad hypocritical given his waving of the imaginary card after he was fouled by Lee Keegan.
Additionally, I wonder if he was asked about the pathetic PR job by his fellow county "clown" on RTE, made between the drawn game and the replay, what would his response be.

Oh wait a minute, isin't this the same guy who got his black card rescinded in 2015 by committee headed by a retired supreme court judge on the morning of the 2015 replay.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/diarmuid-connolly-dra/309735

We all know Big Aido and Mayo introduced the imaginary card waving.

There was no black card rescinded by the DRA when he engaged with the disciplinary process after being hauled down again by Keegan last year.

Of course he was. As ever poor Diarmuid was "targeted". Sure Keegan was headbutting his fist.
I find it amazing. With all the footage of Connolly's indiscretions over the years and a severe lack of anything even similar from Keegan we still get this mantra about Saint Diarmuid only trying to express himself. Its getting tiresome at this stage. But sure when you have John Costello talking about imaginary incidents that not even Connolly remembers and a long line of ex Dublin hero's lining up to tell us about Keegan it's hard for the likes of Heffo to actualyl see whats really going on.

Rossfan

Quote from: Jinxy on December 09, 2016, 11:33:26 AM

:D ;D

longballin

Quote from: Rossfan on December 09, 2016, 12:08:04 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on December 09, 2016, 11:33:26 AM

:D ;D

was that not last year's report?

BennyHarp

Feckin right too - ban the lot of them!
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

Love this time of year... Fair play co-sec! layer it into the hoors!! :) that's what that end of year platform is all for.

Main Street

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 07, 2016, 07:58:53 PM
. "Just because Sean Cavanagh pulled a guy down and some clown in an RTÉ studio decides to throw the toys out of the pram and make it more than it was."

a guy ??    that was the day he killed Bambi.

vallankumous

The only way RTE will give Ulster a fair crack of the whip is when everyone in Ulster pays them their TV licence fee. With 7 of the 9 Counties not paying towards the running of RTE it's easy to have a go at them. Until then it's open for ridicule. There is no way Dublin are going to get the same raw deal. And when it comes to GAA programming Cork, Kerry, Mayo etc will get more favorable coverage than the leechers in the north.