Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: muppet on November 18, 2016, 03:21:23 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2016, 03:09:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 18, 2016, 02:56:34 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2016, 02:46:23 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 18, 2016, 01:23:57 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 18, 2016, 12:53:09 PM
I'd agree with Joe in principle in terms of the increasing regularity with which the incredibly serious issue of mental health seems to be used to shut down debate.
I have no doubt that Caroline has been contacted by players and has passed them on to the appropriate service, but I don't see what that has to do with sports psychology.
She's effectively saying players would commit suicide without sports psychologists.
If the team masseur was a good listener and the players would confide in him about mental health, that's great but I'm not sure that it validates the health benefits of message.
That's a hypothetical example, I love a good massage, but you see what I'm saying... hopefully.
That said, Joe's initial premise (which started all this) which conflated motivational speaking and self-help gurus with sports psychology was utter nonsense as well.

She doesn't say that though. She highlights the shortage of clinical psychologists and I would read it simply as saying that sports psychologists are finding that their role has taking on a deeper personal involvement, filling the void. She highlights Conor Cusack's role with the GPA as doing something similar. I see on Twitter Joe the hero thinks he knows more about suicide and counseling and highlights two of his clients committed suicide in the last 2 weeks. The man is repugnant.

She alludes to it, the quote again is :

Quotehow important it is for sports psychologists around this country going into these clubs

Now I doubt any professional sports psychologist is going to volunteer their time and services and make themselves available to "these clubs" when necessary. She is trying to push her profession and using suicide prevention to try to shame Brolly and anyone else into silence. A scurrilous act.

Instead of attacking her, maybe we should consider that she might have identified a serious problem? I am not saying that Sports Psychologists are the answer to it, but we must at least look at the issue.

The issue is being looked at I think muppet, clubs now have to appoint Health and Wellbeing Officers who are trained in the area.

Looking at the job description, it is a long way short of a qualified psychologist (be it sports or otherwise): http://ulster.gaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/HWO-Role-Description.pdf

Of course they are not going to be qualified psychologists but they are trained to deal with situations when they arise, where to seek advice and how to identify if anyone is in need of help. A hell of a lot more helpful that someone who can listen and pull bits they half heard at a GPA shindig.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

BennyHarp

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2016, 03:38:58 PM
I'd agree with Joe in principle in terms of the increasing regularity with which the incredibly serious issue of mental health seems to be used to shut down debate.
I have no doubt that Caroline has been contacted by players and has passed them on to the appropriate service, but I don't see what that has to do with sports psychology.
She's effectively saying players would commit suicide without sports psychologists.
If the team masseur was a good listener and the players would confide in him about mental health, that's great but I'm not sure that it validates the health benefits of message.
That's a hypothetical example, I love a good massage, but you see what I'm saying... hopefully.
That said, Joe's initial premise (which started all this) which conflated motivational speaking and self-help gurus with sports psychology was utter nonsense as well.

She doesn't say that though. She highlights the shortage of clinical psychologists and I would read it simply as saying that sports psychologists are finding that their role has taking on a deeper personal involvement, filling the void. She highlights Conor Cusack's role with the GPA as doing something similar. I see on Twitter Joe the hero thinks he knows more about suicide and counseling and highlights two of his clients committed suicide in the last 2 weeks. The man is repugnant.

Quotehow important it is for sports psychologists around this country going into these clubs

Now I doubt any professional sports psychologist is going to volunteer their time and services and make themselves available to "these clubs" when necessary. She is trying to push her profession and using suicide prevention to try to shame Brolly and anyone else into silence. A scurrilous act.

Instead of attacking her, maybe we should consider that she might have identified a serious problem? I am not saying that Sports Psychologists are the answer to it, but we must at least look at the issue.

The issue is being looked at I think muppet, clubs now have to appoint Health and Wellbeing Officers who are trained in the area.

Looking at the job description, it is a long way short of a qualified psychologist (be it sports or otherwise): http://ulster.gaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/HWO-Role-Description.pdf

Of course they are not going to be qualified psychologists but they are trained to deal with situations when they arise, where to seek advice and how to identify if anyone is in need of help. A hell of a lot more helpful that someone who can listen and pull bits they half heard at a GPA shindig.

This is a genuine question, as I don't know, but are sports psychologists, not qualified psychologists?
That was never a square ball!!

muppet

Some do a Diploma and may not be psychologists.

Others have a psychology degree and do an MSc in Sports Psychology.

MWWSI 2017

dferg

Surely a part of a sports psychologists job is to find out if a player has any other issues that might be affecting them.  e.g.  If a player has blown their mortgage in the bookies the last thing on their mind is an upcoming football match.  If they have someone that they are comfortable talking to who can put them in contact with the right person that is going to help them with playing sport as well as in general life.

Jinxy

Quote from: screenexile on November 18, 2016, 02:18:04 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 18, 2016, 01:59:13 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 18, 2016, 01:46:38 PM
To be honest, the perfect response to Joe's criticism was just to ignore it like McNulty & Shannon did.
I'd say his eyes lit up when he saw that somebody representing the profession took the bait.

There is that side of it too.

No he didn't!!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/struggling-players-better-off-listening-to-enda-mcnulty-than-joe-brolly-372799.html

Eh, is the date on that right?
Or did Joe say the exact same thing last Winter?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ck

Has Brolly actually went banging on about this for over a year?

muppet

Quote from: ck on November 18, 2016, 09:58:48 PM
Has Brolly actually went banging on about this for over a year?

Yea, he really should see a Sports Psychologist.
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2016, 03:38:58 PM

How many times has Joe inserted an account of all his good deeds, his greatness, his  Dickensian compassion with the trials and tribulations of the common man, emotional heart string tugging nonsense, all thrown into the middle of his petty sarky personalised attacks on sports people and sports professionals?   
Joe goes ape when a teeny bit of the same stuff is thrown his way?  Joe ain't got any testicles, he can throw the mud but he can't take it when a bit of the same is  thrown back his way. Instead of maturing, Joe is becoming more and more hypersensitive about criticism thrown his way, to the point of being obsessed, can't let it go, will spend the rest of life using his media profile to prove all those (an ever growing number of) people wrong.

Jinxy

Can anyone guess what Joe's going to write about tomorrow?

Jim Bob

Quote from: Jinxy on November 19, 2016, 01:23:19 PM

I predict he'll write about  Star's book launch last Friday night in Mugsy's bar in Cookstown which he attended. !

Jinxy

Bound to be lots of legends of the game in attendance to tell him he's dead right about everything.
'And then the Bomber says to me, "Joe", he says'.

ck

Quote from: Jinxy on November 19, 2016, 01:23:19 PM

Yeah that's easy. His article is usually in the Gaelic Life each Thursday and then re hashed a bit for the Sunday.

Nailer

Well Joe really hit the nail on the head in the Indo yesterday, a really good piece on the great work being done by the Slaughtneill club and community, they certainly are an outstanding club. He continued on with a piece about his visit to the Whitecross GAA function and the impact the murder by loyalists of the Reavey brothers had on the family and the involvement of the British crown forces in the murders.
He then took AOF and Jarlath Burns to task on their suggestion not to fly the Tricolour at games or play the National Anthem, certainly seems to have been the prompt for the president to come out yesterday afternoon and row back on his ill judged comments made in Dubai.
Joe certainly doesn't get it right all the time,(who does) but he was right on the money this time.

orangeman

And was on RTE tonight representing CF sufferers in their quest to get the very expensive medication.

Yes he can wind people up and offend them but he does a lot of very good work with these campaigns.

Dinny Breen

When the best footballer in country calls you a clown maybe the penny might drop for Brolly, I doubt it though.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/diarmuid-connolly-blames-rte-clown-for-black-card-rules-433881.html
#newbridgeornowhere