Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

If you want to attack Joe Brolly, attack away, there are no shortage of things to attack him with. But don't hide your profession from criticism by saying we help guys with depression so don't dare cast a critical eye over here where we are making money from clubs up and down the country with limited involvement and will be out the door at year end never to be seen or heard from again. And don't hold up the GPA as the guardians against suicide when their own social media used to post that if you weren't an affiliated member then not to contact them. And then to compound matters the article gives the number of the Samaritans, if the sports psychologists or the GPA were so interested in the nationwide issue of suicide then their numbers would be up there. It's a straw man argument, designed to pull at your heartstrings and keep the dollars rolling in while not offering any meaningful solution to the rampant problem whatsoever. A low blow.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

BennyHarp

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2016, 11:43:17 AM
If you want to attack Joe Brolly, attack away, there are no shortage of things to attack him with. But don't hide your profession from criticism by saying we help guys with depression so don't dare cast a critical eye over here where we are making money from clubs up and down the country with limited involvement and will be out the door at year end never to be seen or heard from again. And don't hold up the GPA as the guardians against suicide when their own social media used to post that if you weren't an affiliated member then not to contact them. And then to compound matters the article gives the number of the Samaritans, if the sports psychologists or the GPA were so interested in the nationwide issue of suicide then their numbers would be up there. It's a straw man argument, designed to pull at your heartstrings and keep the dollars rolling in while not offering any meaningful solution to the rampant problem whatsoever. A low blow.

Has she helped anyone who was at risk of suicide as part of her professional role? If so, then she isn't hiding behind anything. I assume Joe, as per usual, hasn't access to the full facts of the situation before making his assertions.
That was never a square ball!!

Main Street

Facts ?? they are a thing which just freely emerge from Joe's ever active imagination.

Possibly Caroline strikes an emotional low blow but it goes with the territory when you offer a retort against Joe because he's already lying low in the gutter with his pseudo psychological mumbo jumbo and  personalised attacks.

Don't cry for Joe!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 18, 2016, 12:06:32 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2016, 11:43:17 AM

Has she helped anyone who was at risk of suicide as part of her professional role? If so, then she isn't hiding behind anything. I assume Joe, as per usual, hasn't access to the full facts of the situation before making his assertions.

The relevant section is below.

Quote"I don't know how many times I have got a call from a young man who wants to commit suicide and the only reason he has my number is because their team took me in as a sports psychologist. It's incredible and it's a horrible epidemic in our country. I would love for Joe Brolly to listen to some of these men and then he'd realise how important it is for sports psychologists around this country going into these clubs."

She adds: "These guys are dealing with depression, with suicide, with gambling addiction and alcoholism. It's so hard to get a psychologist through our medical sector. A young hurler rang me and he was told he had to wait five weeks to get an appointment and this guy was ready to commit suicide.

"Thank God he picked up a phone to me. I'm not a clinical psychologist, but at least I can listen and I can try my best through the GPA. Conor Cusack is doing unbelievable work in the GPA to try and help these men not commit suicide and just get them back on track."

She listened and tried her best through the GPA whatever that means. I don't know about you but I'd want someone who's actually trained in these matters to deal with them. I coach kids and the first thing we have to do if we become aware of any child protection issues is contact the club childrens officer who is trained to deal with the situation.

Jinxy

I'd agree with Joe in principle in terms of the increasing regularity with which the incredibly serious issue of mental health seems to be used to shut down debate.
I have no doubt that Caroline has been contacted by players and has passed them on to the appropriate service, but I don't see what that has to do with sports psychology.
She's effectively saying players would commit suicide without sports psychologists.
If the team masseur was a good listener and the players would confide in him about mental health, that's great but I'm not sure that it validates the health benefits of message.
That's a hypothetical example, I love a good massage, but you see what I'm saying... hopefully.
That said, Joe's initial premise (which started all this) which conflated motivational speaking and self-help gurus with sports psychology was utter nonsense as well.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on November 18, 2016, 12:53:09 PM
I'd agree with Joe in principle in terms of the increasing regularity with which the incredibly serious issue of mental health seems to be used to shut down debate.
I have no doubt that Caroline has been contacted by players and has passed them on to the appropriate service, but I don't see what that has to do with sports psychology.
She's effectively saying players would commit suicide without sports psychologists.
If the team masseur was a good listener and the players would confide in him about mental health, that's great but I'm not sure that it validates the health benefits of message.
That's a hypothetical example, I love a good massage, but you see what I'm saying... hopefully.
That said, Joe's initial premise (which started all this) which conflated motivational speaking and self-help gurus with sports psychology was utter nonsense as well.

She doesn't say that though. She highlights the shortage of clinical psychologists and I would read it simply as saying that sports psychologists are finding that their role has taking on a deeper personal involvement, filling the void. She highlights Conor Cusack's role with the GPA as doing something similar. I see on Twitter Joe the hero thinks he knows more about suicide and counseling and highlights two of his clients committed suicide in the last 2 weeks. The man is repugnant.

#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

To be honest, the perfect response to Joe's criticism was just to ignore it like McNulty & Shannon did.
I'd say his eyes lit up when he saw that somebody representing the profession took the bait.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on November 18, 2016, 01:46:38 PM
To be honest, the perfect response to Joe's criticism was just to ignore it like McNulty & Shannon did.
I'd say his eyes lit up when he saw that somebody representing the profession took the bait.

There is that side of it too.
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

Joe is a media troll.

screenexile

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 18, 2016, 01:59:13 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 18, 2016, 01:46:38 PM

There is that side of it too.

No he didn't!!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/struggling-players-better-off-listening-to-enda-mcnulty-than-joe-brolly-372799.html

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 18, 2016, 01:23:57 PM

She doesn't say that though. She highlights the shortage of clinical psychologists and I would read it simply as saying that sports psychologists are finding that their role has taking on a deeper personal involvement, filling the void. She highlights Conor Cusack's role with the GPA as doing something similar. I see on Twitter Joe the hero thinks he knows more about suicide and counseling and highlights two of his clients committed suicide in the last 2 weeks. The man is repugnant.

She alludes to it, the quote again is :

Quotehow important it is for sports psychologists around this country going into these clubs

Now I doubt any professional sports psychologist is going to volunteer their time and services and make themselves available to "these clubs" when necessary. She is trying to push her profession and using suicide prevention to try to shame Brolly and anyone else into silence. A scurrilous act.

muppet

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2016, 02:46:23 PM

Quotehow important it is for sports psychologists around this country going into these clubs

Now I doubt any professional sports psychologist is going to volunteer their time and services and make themselves available to "these clubs" when necessary. She is trying to push her profession and using suicide prevention to try to shame Brolly and anyone else into silence. A scurrilous act.

Instead of attacking her, maybe we should consider that she might have identified a serious problem? I am not saying that Sports Psychologists are the answer to it, but we must at least look at the issue.
MWWSI 2017

DuffleKing

Quote from: Main Street on November 18, 2016, 02:05:44 PM
Joe is a media troll.

Actually, joe is the media personification of Fearon

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: muppet on November 18, 2016, 02:56:34 PM

Instead of attacking her, maybe we should consider that she might have identified a serious problem? I am not saying that Sports Psychologists are the answer to it, but we must at least look at the issue.

The issue is being looked at I think muppet, clubs now have to appoint Health and Wellbeing Officers who are trained in the area.

muppet

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2016, 03:09:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 18, 2016, 02:56:34 PM

The issue is being looked at I think muppet, clubs now have to appoint Health and Wellbeing Officers who are trained in the area.

Looking at the job description, it is a long way short of a qualified psychologist (be it sports or otherwise): http://ulster.gaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/HWO-Role-Description.pdf
MWWSI 2017