Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeitChrist

I certainly don't want to pile in on Robbie Hennelly, but he had a very poor day and he needs to take some of the criticism on the chin, as well as Rochford. It's not fair to simply say that it's all on Rochford for picking him, as some have been suggesting. Hennelly made himself available for selection this year and presumably he wanted to play. It's up to him to justify being picked on the day and he didn't. I'm not going to police the guy's personal social media account, but surely there's something to be said for dealing with these things away from the glare of the media? I know he wanted to have his say, but he didn't have to justify himself to the world. He had a bad day. It happens to a lot of players. Just take your medicine and move on.

That said, I don't think there's any need to keep putting the boot in and going over the issue again and again. Brolly's agenda regarding the GPA in his criticism of Robbie Hennelly is obvious and I don't really have a whole lot of time for his opinions generally. Too frequently he claims to be an authority on every ill within the game, and acts as though he knows exactly what's "wrong" with certain teams, or bemoans the creeping professionalism of the game, while also w**king over Dublin at every available opportunity. And he seems utterly incapable of leaving personal criticisms out of it and actually seems to enjoy going after individuals and launching crusades against certain people in the media. Takes a particularly nasty type of person to do that.

Bord na Mona man

Brolly always picks the easy targets to put the boot into.

Let's face it, for the next few weeks, months and even years, Hennelly is going to get lots of unwanted advice and appraisals from random people as he goes about his business. If I was in shoes, I'd probably want to get my views out first to try and cut down the shite he is going to encounter.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 10, 2016, 06:38:04 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 10, 2016, 05:31:39 PM
I guess I agree with Tony Soprano. Where are all the strong silent types gone these days? We are left with generation snowflake who need hugs and kisses every time they have a setback, try and take it on the chin for a change. I have a very cynical disposition toward the mental well being and mindfulness that is being pushed at every angle now and the money certain people and companies are making out of this.
Not drinking themselves to poverty or death like many of them used to.

That's just the Irish though.

You didn't see Bobby Baggio coming out penning opening messages to the Italian public when he skied that penalty over the bar in 94. I think there is a humility in taking things on the chin and having the dignity to let a mistake settle and redeem yourself in actions rather than words. I think Hennelly would have been better served going down that route.

I think intercounty players get a little too much protection regards these matters. They get an awful lot of perks out of playing that they wouldn't otherwise, get their way paid through their degrees, pick up nice handy jobs, free cars in some case and loads of other freebies and handy money thrown their way, not to mention the hubris related things like recognition, girls etc. Anytime they come in the public glare for criticism, there are always those out there who will give it the amateur players shtick, it's a very patronising take on it. These lads know what it's all about before they start so they should take the good with the bad. You'd feel sorry for anyone in Hennelly's position but I don't think it was a wise course of action.

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on October 10, 2016, 04:32:01 PM
Quote from: longballin on October 10, 2016, 03:35:53 PM
Keepers and players have been losing All Ireland finals for decades making huge mistakes in these games - is every dispointment a mental health issue now?

People lost money and went out of business for decades, so why did suicides outnumber road deaths during the financial crisis? One big reason is that it is contagious and that for the last decade we have had a serious problem with it. A second is that we are far more aware of it now. I wonder how many of those lads you mentioned 'hit the bottle' or 'withdrew into themselves'?

Regarding Brolly, there is no more despicable individual than the person who deliberately kicks you when you are down, in my opinion. Especially one who chooses to do that on a national stage. Joe Brolly is the undefeated world champion of that particular discipline. He is a terrible parasite on our game and represents everything bad in our culture. He is little more than insults, belittling his target du jour, rubbishing players who give everything to their sport, he is begrudgery at its worst and most of all he is all about himself. He is the Donald Trump of the GAA world. Like Trump he is all bluster and offers very little insight. Compare him with Peter Canavan on Sky. Or even the hurling pundits on The Sunday Game.

The fact that all of above, is one of the main faces of our game, on national TV and a national paper, is utterly dismaying.
Well said
The editorial control is abysmal.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 10, 2016, 07:06:43 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 10, 2016, 06:49:50 PM
I guess I agree with Tony Soprano. Where are all the strong silent types gone these days? We are left with generation snowflake who need hugs and kisses every time they have a setback, try and take it on the chin for a change. I have a very cynical disposition toward the mental well being and mindfulness that is being pushed at every angle now and the money certain people and companies are making out of this.

You didn't see Bobby Baggio coming out penning opening messages to the Italian public when he skied that penalty over the bar in 94. I think there is a humility in taking things on the chin and having the dignity to let a mistake settle and redeem yourself in actions rather than words. I think Hennelly would have been better served going down that route.
Not sure what something over 20 years ago has to do with it, nor has nationality, but unless you're Hennelly's shrink then you've no idea of what way of coping emotionally suits him best.,

Both players were blamed for their respective teams not winning a major trophy in their respective sports due to a mistake they made. They both chose different ways to deal with that and I much preferred the humility of Baggio's choice. For me, it felt like Hennelly was hoping he would get cut some slack for coming out and expressing his remorse.

Nationality is there as you brought alcoholism into it and it has been more of an Irish way to deal with problems than other nationalities. You see I guess that's what I'm getting at - it's not all about Robbie Hennelly - of course you feel sorry for him but I think he's doing this for him which I guess wouldn't sit well with me if he cost his team - might be a glib way to look at it but that's how I view it.

Paul Durcan cost his side with a grave error in an All Ireland final 2 years ago but as far as I know he didn't do what Hennelly did.

muppet

Comparing the content of a tweet, with an event pre-social media, is just daft.

But regardless, Roberto Baggio has talked to the media about his penalty miss many times. Here is an interview from 2002: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2002/may/19/worldcupfootball2002.football

Now Bomber, compare the 'humility' of Baggio from that interview with Hennelly's statement.
MWWSI 2017

square_ball

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 10, 2016, 06:49:50 PM

I think intercounty players get a little too much protection regards these matters. They get an awful lot of perks out of playing that they wouldn't otherwise, get their way paid through their degrees, pick up nice handy jobs, free cars in some case and loads of other freebies and handy money thrown their way, not to mention the hubris related things like recognition, girls etc. Anytime they come in the public glare for criticism, there are always those out there who will give it the amateur players shtick, it's a very patronising take on it. These lads know what it's all about before they start so they should take the good with the bad. You'd feel sorry for anyone in Hennelly's position but I don't think it was a wise course of action.

Sure Sean Cavanagh couldn't wait to get talking to the papers about his red card against mayo. Not much difference with hennelly in my opinion. Hennelly can use his own personal social media however he sees fit.

Il Bomber Destro

I don't see a parallel with Cavanagh. I can't remember if Cavanagh came out and put his own open letter apology after the game but most of the talk after that exit stemmed from comments from his manager.

Jinxy

If Rob Hennelly had just taken the microphone at the homecoming and said what he tweeted (Instagram, whatever) out loud, to the Mayo fans, would Brolly have a problem with that?
I don't think he would.
I think there's a generational disconnect here.
As far as Hennelly is concerned, he was addressing the Mayo fans.
As far as Joe is concerned, Hennelly was addressing the world.
I'd wager if Joe heard a recording of Hennelly saying the exact same words from a stage at the homecoming, he'd think, "Fair play son, chin up."
Then he'd go home and write an article destroying him anyway.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: muppet on October 10, 2016, 07:30:56 PM

But regardless, Roberto Baggio has talked to the media about his penalty miss many times. Here is an interview from 2002: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2002/may/19/worldcupfootball2002.football

Now Bomber, compare the 'humility' of Baggio from that interview with Hennelly's statement.

I would have no problem with Hennelly talking about this incident in 8 years time when the dust has settled. I do think it was a bit self-aggrandising for him to come out with that in the immediate aftermath of the game. You are comparing apples and oranges.

muppet

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 10, 2016, 07:51:06 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 10, 2016, 07:30:56 PM

I would have no problem with Hennelly talking about this incident in 8 years time when the dust has settled. I do think it was a bit self-aggrandising for him to come out with that in the immediate aftermath of the game. You are comparing apples and oranges.

I am analysing your daft comparison ffs.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

Imagine if a Tyrone man did what Hennelly did.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

trileacman

To be fair Joe didn't sink the boot in Hennelly he more or less just said he shouldn't have went running to social media straight away. I'd agree with him to be fair. As shite columns by Joe go, this one was tame enough.

Quote from: Jinxy on October 10, 2016, 08:11:45 PM

Indeed. Sean Cavanagh regularly throws out his opinion to the media on everything. The journalists know this and so hang off him for a soundbite to fill out their Tuesday work hours. All the same there's parallels with what Hennelly did and Cavanagh does, there is a fair bit to be said for lads who just put up with the job and keep their mouth shut. I'd much prefer to see Cavanagh keep his mouth shut, God knows he would have enough reasons too.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on October 10, 2016, 08:18:36 PM
To be fair Joe didn't sink the boot in Hennelly he more or less just said he shouldn't have went running to social media straight away. I'd agree with him to be fair. As shite columns by Joe go, this one was tame enough.

Quote from: Jinxy on October 10, 2016, 08:11:45 PM

Indeed. Sean Cavanagh regularly throws out his opinion to the media on everything. The journalists know this and so hang off him for a soundbite to fill out their Tuesday work hours. All the same there's parallels with what Hennelly did and Cavanagh does, there is a fair bit to be said for lads who just put up with the job and keep their mouth shut. I'd much prefer to see Cavanagh keep his mouth shut, God knows he would have enough reasons too.

Hennelly has tweeted once since the 9th September. He is hardly prolific. Also he didn't tweet 'straight away', or as Brolly put it...

'....but was no sooner out of the shower than he was embracing his experience, as though it were some noble tragedy. The sort of guff you might expect to hear on daytime TV from one of the guests who has just been chatting about his love of Egyptian cotton pyjamas as he tastes the celebrity chef's black pudding and macaroon sandwich....'

That lone tweet since the 9th September came the day after the reply. '...no sooner out of the shower...' is typical Brolly bullshit.

MWWSI 2017

redhandefender

Il bomber distro out whatever you are called. You are full of garbage. Where have the strong silent types gone? That sounds like something from a lonely hearts add. Honest to god we and in particular complain about there lads being robots and now when one shows a bit of personality he gets turn apart in a national paper by a gutless weasel.

This lad has to have family, friends and customers and know they are all talking about that article behind his back. The man is a bully and nothing more.

Believe me I met him recently in a bar and he is mor obnoxious, sleazy, self righteous and arrogant in real life. No one knows what hennelly was going through and imo it's not what I would do but he done know harm in writing the message.