Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Yeah, Brolly's response to that was pure petulance.
He didn't like the fact that Lyster was visibly trying to move the discussion on from his various trips down selective memory lane.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

trileacman

Arra he's a silver spoon w**ker. Telling you all about feeding the poor and healing the sick whilst tramping off to college in trinity which no "true Gael" as he calls them, would even consider.

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

God14

Quote from: Jinxy on September 21, 2016, 01:00:42 PM
Not wanting to go down the 'mental illness' route, but in his interview with Paul Kimmage a while back Joe himself gave a good insight into his personality and some of his quirks.
I'll let you read the article for yourself.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/a-walk-on-the-wild-side-paul-kimmage-meets-joe-brolly-29760681.html
Couple of things popped into my head reading this;
1. Kimmage is a great interviewer and writer.
2. Brolly was very truthful about his marriage, and it was sort of inevitable he would split with the wife. The article was dated 2013 and i think they split 2015?

Estimator

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 21, 2016, 03:31:13 PM
Quote from: square_ball on September 20, 2016, 08:54:55 PM
Did Joe ever respond to Jarlath Burns after he called bullshit on their conversation?

Did anyone hear on Sunday Brolly was on another of his I was talking to such and such and Spillane said to O'Rourke in the background how come we never be speaking to these people or something to that effect. Thought it was funny

Yeah I was laughing at this as well and I got the impression the other lads are fed up hearing Joe's amazing stories of how he mixes with these famous people and how he goes to hospitals to meet kids on their death beds. I mean don't get me wrong he probably has done a lot for sick kids but he always has to announce it to the world so he looks good.

Did you notice he was about to start another yarn about him with Derry when Lyster cut him off and talked about something else?

What were they chatting about at one stage when Brolly told Spillane that's a load of nonsense. Something to do with the GAA struggling in the 70s.

Quote from: Jinxy on September 21, 2016, 05:53:56 PM
Yeah, Brolly's response to that was pure petulance.
He didn't like the fact that Lyster was visibly trying to move the discussion on from his various trips down selective memory lane.

All the lads were talking about pre-match team talks.  They were asked about what Rochford and Gavin would be saying to their players before the game, and what are the normal things that managers would focus on. Babs Keating was mentioned by Lyster, Spillane told a story about Micko's teeth falling out and no one noticing, O'Rourke had joined in as well.  They were all reminiscing. The camera then cut to Micko in the crowd, just as Brolly was about to tell a story which came from Eamonn Burns, (about a managers pre-match war cry). Lyster  just pointed out the fact the Micko was in the crowd and what a great man he was, and the conversation moved on.  Didn't really see a response from Joe about that.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on September 21, 2016, 02:34:34 PM
Not wanting to go down the 'mental illness' route, but in his interview with Paul Kimmage a while back Joe himself gave a good insight into his personality and some of his quirks.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/a-walk-on-the-wild-side-paul-kimmage-meets-joe-brolly-29760681.html

I enjoy that piece and the dead dog story has me in stitches every time because it's a real Dungiven story and knowing anyone from there you can picture how that conversation went!
A truer Dungiven story would be the driver sped up to make sure he got the dog.

Main Street

Quote from: Jinxy on September 21, 2016, 03:24:05 PM
I've often wondered if there's an element of narcissism in everything Joe does.
I remember he was talking about Jody Devine on twitter a good while back.
The two had recently met at some fundraiser or other (Jody's daughter received a kidney transplant a few years ago).
Anyway, he made reference to the 6 points Jody scored in extra-time against Kildare in the first replay in '97.
I agreed with him that Jody was a legend but corrected him to say Jody actually scored 4 points, not 6.
He replied to say that I was wrong, it was 6 points.
Then I think I tweeted a link to the youtube video which shows the 4 points he scored.
Not a dickie-bird out of Joe in response.
Completely harmless stuff but it demonstrated to me that Joe, despite what he might say himself, always has to be the smartest boy in the class.
Joe has a unique issue.
not just narcissism, not just multi personality but a multi psyche personality disorder. He's got the one personality, in which is contained aspects of many disorders :)
Nevertheless, Joe is socially very functional, in an impulsive kind of way, but that appears to be quite "normal" up there.

screenexile

Quote from: redhandefender on September 21, 2016, 03:15:02 PM
No mental illness just pure ego. Plenty of barristers are like this, they have to be to be successful at what they do. they are basically actors with a law degree.

He is full of s**t and I tune out now tbh. He seems to wave about some cause or another every few months so as to buy him carte blanche at attacking someone again.

All rather sickening

Yes he donated his kidney to another guy just so he could say some more mad shit!

Jesus wept

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on September 22, 2016, 04:08:33 PM
No mental illness just pure ego. Plenty of barristers are like this, they have to be to be successful at what they do. they are basically actors with a law degree.

He is full of s**t and I tune out now tbh. He seems to wave about some cause or another every few months so as to buy him carte blanche at attacking someone again.

All rather sickening

Yes he donated his kidney to another guy just so he could say some more mad shit!

Jesus wept

Red Hand challenging Tony for being the biggest arse on the board!!

J70

What a brilliant interview! :)

joemamas

Quote from: J70 on September 22, 2016, 05:24:35 PM

What a brilliant interview! :)

+1.

He seems like a complex individual and a good human being. I generally agree with his points, except with respect to Mayo.

Joe, If you are reading this , can you please stop the name dropping, was at the game Sunday, finally got around to watching last night, fast forwarded to parade, only to hear Joe talking about how he was talking to David Hickey. Joe please stop it gets old. I used to work with a guy who you to name drop all the time, in the end everybody just rolled their eyes.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 22, 2016, 12:17:16 PM
Spillane has a pop at Brolly 6 mins in
https://soundcloud.com/the-throw-in-independentie/ep-15-pat-spillane-on-brollys-celebrity-loser-comment-are-the-dubs-lacking-hunger

When Spillane is the one talking about someone and is actually talking sense, it's surely time for that person to sort themselves out.  Best thing he could do imo is pack in all the media stuff. A lot of the time I get the sense he's simply an addict for attention. Reminds me of kids who constantly act out.

redhandefender

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 22, 2016, 04:09:45 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 22, 2016, 04:08:33 PM

All rather sickening

Jesus wept

Red Hand challenging Tony for being the biggest arse on the board!!

2 Derry men complaining, surprise surprise I would be embarrassed of him. I know plenty about him and would not surprise me in the slightest if ego crazily played a part

Walter Cronc

Stating and complaining are two different things. Didn't your mother/auntie teach ya nothing :)

Mayoffs

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 21, 2016, 03:31:13 PM
Quote from: square_ball on September 20, 2016, 08:54:55 PM
Did Joe ever respond to Jarlath Burns after he called bullshit on their conversation?

Did anyone hear on Sunday Brolly was on another of his I was talking to such and such and Spillane said to O'Rourke in the background how come we never be speaking to these people or something to that effect. Thought it was funny

Yeah I was laughing at this as well and I got the impression the other lads are fed up hearing Joe's amazing stories of how he mixes with these famous people and how he goes to hospitals to meet kids on their death beds. I mean don't get me wrong he probably has done a lot for sick kids but he always has to announce it to the world so he looks good.

Did you notice he was about to start another yarn about him with Derry when Lyster cut him off and talked about something else?

What were they chatting about at one stage when Brolly told Spillane that's a load of nonsense. Something to do with the GAA struggling in the 70s.

As Estimator said, Brolly had been cut off by Lyster just as he was about to tell a yarn about Burns because Micko was in shot. Spillane spoke about his 80th celibrations in Waterville, told the false teeth story and spoke about the great rivalry between Kerry and the Dubs back in the 70's when as Spillane put it,  football wasn't doing well and that they saved the game to which Brolly could be heard in the background saying 'rubbish, that's a load of nonsense'.
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)