Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Indeed, most of armaghs successful lockouts were win inside their 20. Most of cavans on the half way line. Beware of naked stats.

muppet

Quote from: Itchy on June 04, 2016, 04:31:51 PM
Indeed, most of armaghs successful lockouts were win inside their 20. Most of cavans on the half way line. Beware of naked stats.

You said it!  :D
MWWSI 2017

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: T Fearon on June 04, 2016, 02:11:58 PM
Did Jamie Clarke's statement come with a recognised code word?

Yes it was tonyfearonisacunt but it was hard to decipher!

Throw ball

Quote from: redzone on June 04, 2016, 03:12:56 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 04, 2016, 01:26:26 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on June 04, 2016, 09:16:28 AM
Quote from: ck on June 04, 2016, 06:22:42 AM
Met a few Armagh people at an underage blitz yesterday and they all seemed to broadly support Brollys comments. They were scathing of McGeeney and the large sums of money he is paid.
Is this reflective of general Armagh supporters? as it surprised me. I thought McGeeney was untouchable in Armagh

Sure it is easy to criticise. If Armagh win a few games in qualifiers he will be great again.

I have seen every Armagh game since he became manager. To be truthful things are not great. Resources are not great either. What we do not know yet is if this is the start of a journey of improvement or the way it is to continue.

Specifically on the Cavan game I feel the league result had a big bearing on the tactics for last week's game. In the league Armagh were destroyed at the kick outs and were physically not up to it. He tried an elaborate kick out strategy and brought physically stronger players like McKeever back in to help. But for a penalty miss it might have worked - or got close too. I would expect the younger players to be reintroduced in the qualifiers.

To be fair, they were still destroyed on kick-outs and physically dominated.

Armagh won 20 of their own kickouts in that game, but only one of cavans

Which is about 20 more than they won in the league match!

oakleafgael

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 04, 2016, 05:39:57 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 04, 2016, 02:11:58 PM
Did Jamie Clarke's statement come with a recognised code word?

Yes it was tonyfearonisacunt but it was hard to decipher!

I thought that bit was crystal clear at least!

yellowcard

Met a few Armagh people at an underage blitz yesterday and they all seemed to broadly support Brollys comments. They were scathing of McGeeney and the large sums of money he is paid.
Is this reflective of general Armagh supporters? as it surprised me. I thought McGeeney was untouchable in Armagh

That would be the general consensus in the county alright. A lot of clubs have been hit with additional county board levies in the last few years and are up in arms over the wasted resources. They (the clubs) are bearing the brunt both financially and in terms of access to county players. McGeeneys future will likely be dependent on an extended run in the back door with at least one big result against div 1/2 opposition. However it will not be the county board who make that decision as the tail firmly wags the dog. Having said that, McGeeney has had a lot of sympathy though this week after being slaughtered by Brolly on live tv and that could actually work in his favour. He can develop a siege mentality and at the end of the day he is a fellow county man and possibly our greatest ever player being ridiculed and belittled by a media whore like Brolly.

Orchard Officer

Ck - it's bewildering why you keep up this pretence of being a Sligo man. You're an Armagh man and given your history of attacking managers and coaches you seem to have some axe to grind with the GAA coaching world.

brokencrossbar1

When over Kildare McGeeney never really got them to push on through in Leinster. Difficult I know with the Dublin dominance but it could have been better. They then went on good runs in the qualifiers, helped by favourable early draws. The thing about the qualifiers is that momentum plays such a key role in it. Get a good first round draw and the ball starts rolling, get a good second round and then an AI 1/4 final is in the air. Games every week or second week mean that momentum is retain. Geezers future could actually be determined by the nature of the draw. This team is not good enough under normal circumstances to make it into July and August football but fate is a fickle thing and the right draw and geezer is standing in CP in a few months time.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

ck

Quote from: Orchard Officer on June 04, 2016, 09:25:11 PM

Ck - it's bewildering why you keep up this pretence of being a Sligo man. You're an Armagh man and given your history of attacking managers and coaches you seem to have some axe to grind with the GAA coaching world.

lol You're some craic. You sound very stressed and even paranoid. Are you Kieran McGeeney?

Good luck in the qualifiers.

Throw ball

Quote from: yellowcard on June 04, 2016, 08:53:28 PM

That would be the general consensus in the county alright. A lot of clubs have been hit with additional county board levies in the last few years and are up in arms over the wasted resources. They (the clubs) are bearing the brunt both financially and in terms of access to county players. McGeeneys future will likely be dependent on an extended run in the back door with at least one big result against div 1/2 opposition. However it will not be the county board who make that decision as the tail firmly wags the dog. Having said that, McGeeney has had a lot of sympathy though this week after being slaughtered by Brolly on live tv and that could actually work in his favour. He can develop a siege mentality and at the end of the day he is a fellow county man and possibly our greatest ever player being ridiculed and belittled by a media whore like Brolly.

On the finance matter a reliable poster on the county forum stated that the latest accounts from the county board showed that since Geezer came back to Armagh the debt for the county has actually reduced. The burden suffered by the clubs may be as much to do with past problems as current ones.

I have not seen the accounts, or even sought to see them, but this offers an alternative view which if correct may colour the argument.

On another point at least some of the county players played for their clubs on Friday night.

reddgnhand

Who dressed Joe this morning. Fix your tie ye scruff.

T Fearon

I presume Joseph will prescribe that Eamonn Burns literally,from the top of the Mournes tonight?

smelmoth

Quote from: Throw ball on June 05, 2016, 01:08:22 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 04, 2016, 08:53:28 PM

On the finance matter a reliable poster on the county forum stated that the latest accounts from the county board showed that since Geezer came back to Armagh the debt for the county has actually reduced. The burden suffered by the clubs may be as much to do with past problems as current ones.

I have not seen the accounts, or even sought to see them, but this offers an alternative view which if correct may colour the argument.

On another point at least some of the county players played for their clubs on Friday night.

An awful lot more detail would be required and you would think that those who are in a position to publish some of the information would be in a position to post all of the information? Especially if they reliable? To be relied on to do what?

What I am getting that is if we had a debt of £1m and were repaying the debt at £50k per year and we got a new regime and they upped the annual income from £250k to £500k by increasing demands on clubs and patrons. The additional monies were spent on teams and managers who go backwards but the £50k annual debt repayments continued to be met. In those circumstances the financial and sporting health of the county would not have improved and from a return on investment perspective would actually have disimproved  it would still be possible to say that "since AN Other came back to the county the debt for the county has actually reduced".

Is it possible that rather than being reliable that your source is not only missing the point but in engaging in a bit of smoke and mirrors to deflect the focus from what the actual point should be?