Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beffs

Quote from: Aaron Boone on April 12, 2016, 09:56:31 PM
McGeeney getting a bad press but was unlucky to see his team relegated. A few months from now, he will be having the last laugh. Take out Brolly and he is very highly rated amongst the press pack.

They find him a fascinating character alright. All that famous intensity and drive and focus as a player, is still endlessly interesting, now that he is a manager. He is a larger than life figure, that everyone has an opinion on and wants to talk about and read about.....hence the media never taking their eye off him for very long.

That doesn't necessarily mean they rate him highly as a manager. I can't remember the last time I read an article praising his tactical ability, his over all success rate as a manager, or why he is as good (or better) a manager than any of the others out there.

illdecide

Why has KMCG grew into the man everyone loves to hate (exceptions of some Kildare men and Armagh folk), what has he done over the years that everyone wants to see him fail? If there is a piece of dirt out there someone will find it and throw it into the public domain. I know a few of the County lads and they all speak very highly of him yet people are trying to paint a different story, I can't think of another inter county manager who is under as much scrutiny as he is. Because he done/does martial arts then apparently he has the team doing it too, because he trained more than most apparently he has Armagh lads training 8 nights a week ;) etc etc. People should get a life and torture some other manager/s
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

thewobbler

Quote from: illdecide on April 13, 2016, 09:05:00 AM
Why has KMCG grew into the man everyone loves to hate (exceptions of some Kildare men and Armagh folk), what has he done over the years that everyone wants to see him fail? If there is a piece of dirt out there someone will find it and throw it into the public domain. I know a few of the County lads and they all speak very highly of him yet people are trying to paint a different story, I can't think of another inter county manager who is under as much scrutiny as he is. Because he done/does martial arts then apparently he has the team doing it too, because he trained more than most apparently he has Armagh lads training 8 nights a week ;) etc etc. People should get a life and torture some other manager/s

While I think you're being a touch paranoid, I would guess there is a hefty percentage of the traditional GAA public who are a tad relieved that success requires good old fashioned skills, and this cannot be bypassed by extensive commitment and meticulous planning.

general_lee

Quote from: T Fearon on April 12, 2016, 10:36:30 PM
...have now suffered relegation back to Div 3 (which was not the result of bad luck,as some would have you believe,but the result of a home defeat by Laois and a mauling in Cavan,neither of which are in any way excusable)

Go figure
It's not often a team with 6 points gets relegated to be fair. I'd say some element of bad luck came into it. Tyrone and Fermanagh conveniently playing out a draw didn't help

WT4E

Quote from: general_lee on April 13, 2016, 10:03:48 AM
...have now suffered relegation back to Div 3 (which was not the result of bad luck,as some would have you believe,but the result of a home defeat by Laois and a mauling in Cavan,neither of which are in any way excusable)

Go figure
It's not often a team with 6 points gets relegated to be fair. I'd say some element of bad luck came into it. Tyrone and Fermanagh conveniently playing out a draw didn't help

Lol thats the best excuse I've heard yet from Armagh - Tyrone screwed Armagh by fixing a draw!

Two best teams got promoted - two worst teams got relegated that's the way the system is designed - LIVE WITH IT!

general_lee

Quote from: WT4E on April 13, 2016, 10:21:28 AM

Go figure

Lol thats the best excuse I've heard yet from Armagh - Tyrone screwed Armagh by fixing a draw!

Two best teams got promoted - two worst teams got relegated that's the way the system is designed - LIVE WITH IT!
You sound very defensive there  :D

AFS

Fitting, in a thread entitled 'Joe Brolly', that a dominant theme of the last few pages has been people offering opinions unconstrained by little things like comprehension or insight.

Throw ball

Quote from: WT4E on April 13, 2016, 10:21:28 AM

Go figure

The relegation rules were that if 2 teams finished level it went on head to head, if more than 2 it was scoring difference. If the relegation had have been decided on a league basis between the teams that finished level then it would have been:

Armagh 4pts
Meath 3 pts
Derry 3 pts
Fermanagh 2 pts.

McGeeney and Armagh could be considered unlucky but to say that relegation proves Armagh were the second worst team in the league is inaccurate in my opinion. There was not a great deal between most of the teams in division 2.

Main Street

Quote from: heffo on April 12, 2016, 10:29:32 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 12, 2016, 08:22:04 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 12, 2016, 07:26:15 PM

Re: journalists being afraid of McGeeney, he asked John Fogarty outside at a press conference when he asked McGeeney to confirm/deny he'd approached Shane Supple to join up with Seanie.
Did you mean to write,  he invited John to step outside   as in "would you like to step outside and settle this?"

What an idiotic question to ask McGeeney, "would you confirm or deny ...... insert  some nonsense?"
Headline next day reads "McGeeny denies doing something which did not happen"

I posted here about six months previous that Supple was approached.

Supple was interviewed by John Fogarty around February 2012 after he dropped off the Dublin panel and claimed he was approached by Kildare in 2011 but flatly rejected them.

Fogarty asked McGeeney to comment on Supple's claims and according to John Fogarty's article in the Examiner, McGeeney asked him to step outside to sort it out. It's hardly nonsense - I was responding to Dinny's earlier claim about journalists allegedly feeling/being intimidated by McGeeney..
Supple confirmed  shortly afterwards that it was not McGeeney.
When Fogarty  interviewed Supple in Feb 2012, he didn't do a very good job  before confronting McGeeney with the confirm or deny  question, did he?
And is Fogarty a reliable source when it comes to making allegations about  Kildare affairs?

heffo

Quote from: Main Street on April 13, 2016, 03:53:09 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 12, 2016, 10:29:32 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 12, 2016, 08:22:04 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 12, 2016, 07:26:15 PM

Re: journalists being afraid of McGeeney, he asked John Fogarty outside at a press conference when he asked McGeeney to confirm/deny he'd approached Shane Supple to join up with Seanie.
Did you mean to write,  he invited John to step outside   as in "would you like to step outside and settle this?"

What an idiotic question to ask McGeeney, "would you confirm or deny ...... insert  some nonsense?"
Headline next day reads "McGeeny denies doing something which did not happen"

I posted here about six months previous that Supple was approached.

Supple was interviewed by John Fogarty around February 2012 after he dropped off the Dublin panel and claimed he was approached by Kildare in 2011 but flatly rejected them.

Fogarty asked McGeeney to comment on Supple's claims and according to John Fogarty's article in the Examiner, McGeeney asked him to step outside to sort it out. It's hardly nonsense - I was responding to Dinny's earlier claim about journalists allegedly feeling/being intimidated by McGeeney..
Supple confirmed  shortly afterwards that it was not McGeeney.
When Fogarty  interviewed Supple in Feb 2012, he didn't do a very good job  before confronting McGeeney with the confirm or deny  question, did he?
And is Fogarty a reliable source when it comes to making allegations about  Kildare affairs?

It never is the manager - he confirmed it was someone from the Kildare mgt - do you think it was McGeeney meeting Seanie J with the free apt keys and fake utility bills?

It was a fairly relevant question and 'au current' as it was in the midst of the SJ affair - I personally thought the question was fine.

I don't see any reason why Fogarty isn't a reliable person to 'make allegations' as you put it - I posted here in Nov 2011 about it as the approach was common knowledge and they weren't the only two players in the broader Leinster region approached either.

ck

Do people here agree that the media appear to be afraid of McGeeney? It's a wider held view and mentioned a few times, what do people think? IMO McGeeney got away very lightly in Kildare whilst blatantly trying to poach other counties players.

Is this Brolly/McGeeney story bring sensationalised simply because Brolly is the only person in the media with the balls to call it out on McGeeney?

smelmoth

Why has KMCG grew into the man everyone loves to hate (exceptions of some Kildare men and Armagh folk), what has he done over the years that everyone wants to see him fail?
There are many, many who do not want to see him fail but still recognise that he is (at the moment) in fact failing

Because he done/does martial arts then apparently he has the team doing it too,
Did someone really say this?

because he trained more than most apparently he has Armagh lads training 8 nights a week ;) etc etc.
Did someone really say this?

Big question is why is so much shit spouted by those defending McGeeney??

smelmoth

Quote from: thewobbler on April 13, 2016, 09:13:15 AM

While I think you're being a touch paranoid, I would guess there is a hefty percentage of the traditional GAA public who are a tad relieved that success requires good old fashioned skills, and this cannot be bypassed by extensive commitment and meticulous planning.

I think there is a lot in this.

I recall an earlier article (by some ex-Derry player) in which McGeeney said if he had of been introduced to MMA in his teens he would have never kicked a ball in anger. Maybe its the training and discipline that he is into rather than the skills of the game.

smelmoth

Go figure
Just for the record most Armagh fans have the wit to know that the Tyrone/Fermanagh draw was not fixed any more than the Armagh/Tyrone draw was.

Ultimately we deserved to be relegated

rrhf

Mc Geeney is a great fella. And a serious leader of men as a footballer. He went down in a lot of gaa estimations with the sj thing but that's behind him. He needed to keep grimly on board and he went solo. He's under pressure because his results haven't been hot.