Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Sadly, that could apply to a lot of people on here. Good bit of writing by Joe.

ashman

I don't mind joe but that article is awful tbh .

Mario

Why is this article doing the rounds again, it was written about 4 years ago.

ziggysego

Quote from: Mario on April 05, 2016, 10:43:16 AM

I was wondering the same myself yesterday when I saw it all over Facebook and Twitter.
Testing Accessibility

AQMP

Yes, the St Mary's v Doon CBS game was in March 2012.  In this article the principal of St Mary's confirms he the incident probably didn't take place and it wasn't covered in the local press in Belfast.  More spoofing from Joe.

=====================================================================================

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/education/105814/County-Limerick-school-hits-back-at.html

THE PRINCIPAL of a County Limerick School has told the Leader of his "complete and utter disgust at a sectarian slur" by Joe Brolly on his players.

THE PRINCIPAL of a County Limerick School has told the Leader of his "complete and utter disgust at a sectarian slur" by Joe Brolly on his players.

In Mr Brolly's article in The Irish Mail on Sunday about Armagh's claim of "racism" he referenced St Fintan's CBS in Doon.

He wrote: "When Saint Mary's CBS grammar school from Belfast played and defeated Doon CBS from Limerick in the colleges All-Ireland B hurling semi-final a fortnight ago, the Belfast students complained afterwards that they were subjected to incessant abuse by the opposition.

"The father of one of the lads described in a local newspaper how when he went to celebrate with his son at the final whistle, he was told by one of the Doon players to 'go back to Britain and play your f***ing games up there'."

Eddie Bourke, principal of St Fintan's CBS, said the first he heard about these allegations were when one of his teachers rang him on Sunday night.

"There is absolutely no truth whatsoever in the article. It's an awful slur on the school. We're absolutely disgusted that Joe Brolly would go and write something like that without contacting us. It's a cheap shot," said Mr Bourke.

On Monday he sat down with the players of the team.

"They find it very hard to take that kind of insult. I have great regard for those lads. They had a great year in hurling and football. They won some matches that they shouldn't have won. They are a very gritty team, a very honest group of young fellows.

"There is nothing like that in them. They are very annoyed with it. We want to uphold the good name of the school," said Mr Bourke, who was on the sidelines for the semi-final in Dublin.

"I was very close to the action as were all our teachers. I heard absolutely nothing during the match. When the game was over we spoke to the teachers and coaches from St Mary's, congratulated them and wished them luck in the final.

"They came in to our dressing room to commiserate with us and they got a great round of applause. Our team went in to their dressing room and did the same thing. It was all very friendly and we parted in very good company," said Mr Bourke, who added that there was nothing in the referee's report.

He is backed up by the principal of St Mary's, Jim Sheerin.

"I didn't see the article by Joe Brolly but I've had absolutely no contact from any players, parent or supporters of St Mary's to make a complaint or object to how the Doon players conducted themselves. It is complete news to me when I heard it. It was a hard fought match which could have gone either way and it ended in very good spirits.

"I was at the match and if there had been anything I'm sure they would have expressed that to me. If people were incensed or aggrieved in some way clearly there was an opportunity on the day to alert me to it. There was nothing on the day," said Mr Sheerin.

Like Mr Bourke he says he has had no phone call in relation to what Mr Brolly has reported,

"I agree [with Mr Bourke] it is a slur on the school and he is quite right to follow it up," said Mr Sheerin. Regarding the local newspaper mentioned by Mr Brolly, the principal say their local paper is the Anderstown News or the widely circulated Irish News.

The Leader has contacted both and they say that nothing was printed of that nature.

Mr Bourke is to seek a retraction.

"Wherever Joe Brolly picked this up I have absolutely no idea. As far as I am concerned it is a complete fabrication. We're absolutely disgusted that Joe Brolly would go and write something like that without checking it, We got no phone call," said Mr Bourke.

BennyHarp

Sure, it's Joe and it's all a bit of craic and it doesn't matter if its not factually correct as long as its fits in with his story and that's all that really matters. Sure nobody died!
That was never a square ball!!

Jinxy

It was, but it's hard to tell with Joe these days.
He rehashes a lot of his anecdotes.
I wouldn't mind but he presents things that he previously wrote about months ago as if they had happened in the last few days.
Amusing as he is in general, it's best to take everything he says with a pinch of salt.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ziggysego

Quote from: Jinxy on April 05, 2016, 01:24:30 PM

It was, but it's hard to tell with Joe these days.
He rehashes a lot of his anecdotes.
I wouldn't mind but he presents things that he previously wrote about months ago as if they had happened in the last few days.
Amusing as he is in general, it's best to take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

But it wasn't a "rehash", it's the actually article from 4 years ago.
Testing Accessibility

Jinxy

I know Ziggy.
Hence the 'it was' at the start of my post.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mario

It appeared on social media not long after the hogan cup final, so I'm guessing it could be something to do with Conor Glass's dubious red card.

Il Bomber Destro

The subject of Brolly's article hits the nail on the head. Thr playing field is not level, it is skewed to disadvantage us, despite this our counties still dominate the QF stage.

Rossfan

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 05, 2016, 06:47:51 PM
The subject of Brolly's article hits the nail on the head. Thr playing field is not level, it is skewed to disadvantage us, despite this our counties still dominate the QF stage.

Ehhhhhhhhh?
Do 6 Co teams have to play against the wind both halves or can only play 13 players or what?
Haven't "dominated" Quarter finals since Armagh and Tyrone were in their primes.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omaghjoe

The article is pretty much spot on but I would have difficulty in believing a Derry man shouted for Tyrone ever.

Maybe it was Joe doing it to wind up Spillane and smelly Colm

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Rossfan on April 05, 2016, 07:08:49 PM

Ehhhhhhhhh?
Do 6 Co teams have to play against the wind both halves or can only play 13 players or what?
Haven't "dominated" Quarter finals since Armagh and Tyrone were in their primes.

The Ulster representation at the AI QF stage over the last 3 years has been 4/8, 3/8, 4/8. 6 Ulster countues have made AI semi finals since 2004 (Armagh, Derry, Donegal, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone). 8 of the 9 Ulster counties have made AI qfs in since 2004, only Cavan and possibly Down have made it to that stage just the once in that time.

The Ulster Championship is extremely competitive, our teams are exposed to the peril of the qualifiers from an early stage. They simply have to be ready from early May - it is not like the other provinces, where the top team is given a free ride to the business end of Championship every year, so can easiky rest up their top players.

Ulster teams simply do not have that luxury.

laoislad

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 05, 2016, 07:32:55 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 05, 2016, 07:08:49 PM

Ehhhhhhhhh?

The Ulster representation at the AI QF stage over the last 3 years has been 4/8, 3/8, 4/8. 6 Ulster countues have made AI semi finals since 2004 (Armagh, Derry, Donegal, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone). 8 of the 9 Ulster counties have made AI qfs in since 2004, only Cavan and possibly Down have made it to that stage just the once in that time.

The Ulster Championship is extremely competitive, our teams are exposed to the peril of the qualifiers from an early stage. They simply have to be ready from early May - it is not like the other provinces, where the top team is given a free ride to the business end of Championship every year, so can easiky rest up their top players.

Ulster teams simply do not have that luxury.
I blame the free staters.

Btw the Brolly article is one of the funniest things I ever read. It's crap, but funny.
Billy Sheehan...What a legend.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.