Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ONeill on December 24, 2015, 12:14:23 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 23, 2015, 01:55:35 PM
Has anyone on here ever been exposed to a sports psychologist and their work.  I have and I must say that it was poor enough.  This person  is a renowned member of the profession but what was done with them was no different than the work I had been exposed to under Joe Kernan etc.  They didn't use any different phrases just had it up in 'thought bubbles' on a white board.  I think perhaps the generation that played up to say the mid 00's are skeptical to a degree because in many respects the majority of the good managers were 'psychologists' in their own right.  We did great stuff with Sean Boylan for instance in regards to visualization and focus and it was very spiritual but the next minute it was very much break the man in 2 attitude.  Sean O'Neill did a few great talks with us that would put any psychologist in their box.  These men are not coming with letters after their names but the do have a great human insight and a great understanding of the 'psychology' of winning.  I'd say the likes of Eamon Coleman, Paidi O Se et al were all very good 'psychologists' and they would have simplified the game the bare bones.  It is often made too complicated and as a result the need to get the extra edge has to be brought in from the outside as opposed to being the core value of the whole set up.

I'd suggest you haven't encountered a good qualified sports psychologist.

Without naming the person they are highly regarded in their field and has worked internationally. They have worked with a number of big names outside of the GAA and within the GAA. What was worked on was absolutely no different than was worked on week in week out in terms of the 'psychology'if the sport.

BennyHarp

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 24, 2015, 12:43:16 AM
Has anyone on here ever been exposed to a sports psychologist and their work.  I have and I must say that it was poor enough.  This person  is a renowned member of the profession but what was done with them was no different than the work I had been exposed to under Joe Kernan etc.  They didn't use any different phrases just had it up in 'thought bubbles' on a white board.  I think perhaps the generation that played up to say the mid 00's are skeptical to a degree because in many respects the majority of the good managers were 'psychologists' in their own right.  We did great stuff with Sean Boylan for instance in regards to visualization and focus and it was very spiritual but the next minute it was very much break the man in 2 attitude.  Sean O'Neill did a few great talks with us that would put any psychologist in their box.  These men are not coming with letters after their names but the do have a great human insight and a great understanding of the 'psychology' of winning.  I'd say the likes of Eamon Coleman, Paidi O Se et al were all very good 'psychologists' and they would have simplified the game the bare bones.  It is often made too complicated and as a result the need to get the extra edge has to be brought in from the outside as opposed to being the core value of the whole set up.

Without naming the person they are highly regarded in their field and has worked internationally. They have worked with a number of big names outside of the GAA and within the GAA. What was worked on was absolutely no different than was worked on week in week out in terms of the 'psychology'if the sport.

Perhaps Joe did a little bit of reading up on the sports psychology aspect of things himself and was capable enough to deliver parts of it himself. Cross, as usual, were probably ahead of the game here. I wouldn't imagine the average club manager across Ireland would be as clued up on this on a week in, week out basis. But as mentioned in previous occasions, it's not for every player.
That was never a square ball!!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 24, 2015, 07:50:42 AM

Perhaps Joe did a little bit of reading up on the sports psychology aspect of things himself and was capable enough to deliver parts of it himself. Cross, as usual, were probably ahead of the game here. I wouldn't imagine the average club manager across Ireland would be as clued up on this on a week in, week out basis. But as mentioned in previous occasions, it's not for every player.

Benny there's a 'psychology' in winning but that is not created in a room with diagrams.  The best type of psychological development in any team sport is breaking down the barriers in group work on a football field.  The hard yards in the muck of a field will develop players better than any sports psychologist.  Individual work with a player on a one to one basis may be useful but as a group I don't know.  The work that the likes of McNulty has done with individuals is probably worthwhile but in team sports there is a completely different dynamic.  We built the winning mentality up from very young,  as do Kilkenny players and Kerry players.  It is very difficult to mirror that with a team that hasn't won for many years.

I have coached other teams over the last few years,  one of the things that is asked of me is to create the Cross mentality within the group.  Even the best sports psychologist in the world could not do that as it is a completely different mindset.  A player or 2 might get what you want but a group of 25-30 is nearly impossible and that is working with them for months.  WInners are not made in a committee room they are made on the football field and that will never change.

seafoid

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 24, 2015, 10:15:03 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on December 24, 2015, 07:50:42 AM

Benny there's a 'psychology' in winning but that is not created in a room with diagrams.  The best type of psychological development in any team sport is breaking down the barriers in group work on a football field.  The hard yards in the muck of a field will develop players better than any sports psychologist.  Individual work with a player on a one to one basis may be useful but as a group I don't know.  The work that the likes of McNulty has done with individuals is probably worthwhile but in team sports there is a completely different dynamic.  We built the winning mentality up from very young,  as do Kilkenny players and Kerry players.  It is very difficult to mirror that with a team that hasn't won for many years.

I have coached other teams over the last few years,  one of the things that is asked of me is to create the Cross mentality within the group.  Even the best sports psychologist in the world could not do that as it is a completely different mindset.  A player or 2 might get what you want but a group of 25-30 is nearly impossible and that is working with them for months.  WInners are not made in a committee room they are made on the football field and that will never change.
BC

What about the last 5 minutes and fatalism ?

There has to be some solution to the Mayo football /Galway hurlers problem. They can do it for 65 minutes and then they get into the hole.
Thought patterns  have to be fixable. This article on psychology is quite interesting IMO

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/may/28/relationships
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyHarp

Of course the winning mentality created in Cross, Kerry and the likes of Man Utd under Ferguson is essential for sustained success in the team environment but some individuals may need extra support to get the best out of themselves. People like Paul Galvin, Gordan D'arcy aren't guys who you expect would need help to improve their game but both have been very complimentary about the methods of McNulty. Their improved performances ultimately help the team.

Success breeds success and people can buy into that easily when the results are proven and individuals are surrounding by a team of lads with a winning mentality and a proven track record of success. How would you get on coaching the Cross mentality in Dromintee (no disrespect intended) or Leitrim?
That was never a square ball!!

DuffleKing

Eamonn Coleman was the first gaa manager to have a sports psychologist work with his team in a structured manner.

Joe kernan used several sports psychologists when managing armagh.

JoG2

Quote from: DuffleKing on December 24, 2015, 09:48:44 PM

Joe kernan used several sports psychologists when managing armagh.

Did one of them design the triangle yoke that scared the bejayzus out of the opposition?

StGallsGAA

QuoteJoe kernan used several sports psychologists when managing armagh.

Mickey Harte employed a sports psychologist during Tyrone's minor and u21 AI successes.  JK came to visit MH to find out how effective MH found their involvement before introducing the same into the Armagh set up when he took over.

orangeman

Champion The Wonder Horse

"McKeever was sent off. Which explains why the country's best defender didn't win an All Star in our All-Ireland year. In those days, a sending-off disqualified you from a gong."

Except it didn't. The rules had been changed by then and at least one or two of the 1993 All-Stars had been sent off earlier that year.

Link

Boozy Baz away to Perth, wonder will he be home in time for dungiven's reserve challenge next year.

screenexile

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on January 18, 2016, 01:24:53 PM
"McKeever was sent off. Which explains why the country's best defender didn't win an All Star in our All-Ireland year. In those days, a sending-off disqualified you from a gong."

Except it didn't. The rules had been changed by then and at least one or two of the 1993 All-Stars had been sent off earlier that year.

Are you sure about that? I think it wasn't changed until 94 or 95 maybe. Definitely by 95 anyway as Charlie got one after being sent off against Tyrone! I remember Tohill missed out on one in 1991 for being sent off in a Sigerson game!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: screenexile on January 18, 2016, 02:52:57 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on January 18, 2016, 01:24:53 PM

Are you sure about that? I think it wasn't changed until 94 or 95 maybe. Definitely by 95 anyway as Charlie got one after being sent off against Tyrone! I remember Tohill missed out on one in 1991 for being sent off in a Sigerson game!

I think it changed but it was determined on the category of offence whether or not you got an All Star,  ye know if ye made a man faint then you definitely were not getting one!!!