Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 20, 2015, 08:39:45 PM
Canavan got the better of McKeever in 1992 league final and in 1996 when Mckeever was working in Dublin and not get in the training, 95 McKeever marked him rightly and again this is back in the day when defenders marked 1 on 1, any other time McKeever and Lockhart were well fit for him

:o Have you seen the 1995 game? Pure exhibition stuff by Canavan that day!
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

Canavan got the better of McKeever in 1992 league final and in 1996 when Mckeever was working in Dublin and not get in the training, 95 McKeever marked him rightly and again this is back in the day when defenders marked 1 on 1, any other time McKeever and Lockhart were well fit for him

Great battles between great players.

imtommygunn

Ah ok then.

Zulu he stood up against galway and was unmarable. Did it when it counted against tyrone though frees mostly. Mainly you're probably right though.

Gooch is up there with the best of them. Only fitzgerald and canavan better from 90 on. Linden maybe a challenger too.

T Fearon

Gooch was/is twice the player Canavan was without the diving.His 4 All Ireland medals,twice as many as Canavan,were acquired without having to take a rest in the Final too.

LeoMc

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 20, 2015, 09:46:00 PM
Ah ok then.

Zulu he stood up against galway and was unmarable. Did it when it counted against tyrone though frees mostly. Mainly you're probably right though.

Gooch is up there with the best of them. Only fitzgerald and canavan better from 90 on. Linden maybe a challenger too.
Michael Meehan?

ONeill

How many Anglo-Celts has Gooch?

Case closed.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lenny

Quote from: T Fearon on September 20, 2015, 09:48:23 PM
Gooch was/is twice the player Canavan was without the diving.His 4 All Ireland medals,twice as many as Canavan,were acquired without having to take a rest in the Final too.

Agreed and if canavan hadnt made the schoolboy error of handling the ball on the ground tyrone might have won the all ireland in 95. Bernard brogan has got to be up there as one of the best forwards in the last ten years along with gooch.

BennyHarp

Quote from: T Fearon on September 20, 2015, 09:48:23 PM

I've always thought Audi Hamilton was better than both of the Grimleys!
That was never a square ball!!

Il Bomber Destro

Some people are so blinkered when it comes to Cooper,

Wildweasel74

Matt Connor and Fitzgerald are probably the 2 most talented forward players in their time

time ticking away

Mc keever and lockhart were 2 brilliant defenders but canavan in the 95 ulster semi final gave one of the greatest displays I have ever seen. Absolutely unmarkable as he was all that year
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

ashman

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 20, 2015, 11:31:43 PM
Some people are so blinkered when it comes to Cooper,

Ya especially them that look in mirror.  Cooper was let down today by team ; 

Throw ball

Quote from: Zulu on September 20, 2015, 09:27:44 PM
Well Murphy was mentioned as being ahead of Cooper and he did nothing all year. I'm pretty sure Cooper has done pretty well in some Munster finals too. Cooper has done enough to be considered by many to be a great player but unlike most of the players you are comparing him with he is playing in an era of massed defence. Surely most of Mikey Sheehy or Pat Spillane's best games were against teams they were easily beating too? Is their standing in the game diminished?

McConville for example isn't next nor near the footballer that Cooper is and I'm sure he'd say that himself.

There are many forwards McConville is nowhere near as skilful as. On the other hand there are very few who could produce so regularly for club and county when the chips were down. The most influential footballer I ever saw play for my county.

When it comes to the best footballers I have ever seen Jack O'Shea and Anthony Tohill were great but my favourite by some distance was Maurice Fitzgerald. Cooper is a good player. Is he better than Canavan at his peak? I am not so sure.

Zulu

Quote from: Throw ball on September 21, 2015, 12:22:46 AM
Quote from: Zulu on September 20, 2015, 09:27:44 PM
Well Murphy was mentioned as being ahead of Cooper and he did nothing all year. I'm pretty sure Cooper has done pretty well in some Munster finals too. Cooper has done enough to be considered by many to be a great player but unlike most of the players you are comparing him with he is playing in an era of massed defence. Surely most of Mikey Sheehy or Pat Spillane's best games were against teams they were easily beating too? Is their standing in the game diminished?

McConville for example isn't next nor near the footballer that Cooper is and I'm sure he'd say that himself.

There are many forwards McConville is nowhere near as skilful as. On the other hand there are very few who could produce so regularly for club and county when the chips were down. The most influential footballer I ever saw play for my county.

When it comes to the best footballers I have ever seen Jack O'Shea and Anthony Tohill were great but my favourite by some distance was Maurice Fitzgerald. Cooper is a good player. Is he better than Canavan at his peak? I am not so sure.

McConville was a fine player on a great Armagh team but he'll never be in the discussion about all time greats - no shame in that. Don't know if Cooper is better than Canavan but then neither were as good as Matt Conor, who was the greatest footballer ever IMO.

T Fearon

It would have been interesting to see how Canavan fared against Tyrone,man marked by 13 players,gouged etc.Gooch a far better player in my opinion.