Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: Jinxy on May 27, 2015, 10:38:38 AM
I don't see how the two issues are related to be honest.
It seems I've inadvertently drawn a tangent. They're not related. I just put little value in McGuinness's criticism of Brolly.

I'm amazed that Joe hasn't said something else controversial in the past 24 hours to move this sub-issue along.

Applesisapples

I have to say I've listened to all the debate around Joe's lampooning of Marty. Was it any more spiteful or hurtful than the Giftgrub womanising persona? Was Marty really that upset? How many people actually laughed at the analogy before Lyster pulled Joe up about it? Why is it ok to lampoon some people but not others? Marty has a fine career in the public eye and imo is a great commentator certainly a lot better than Ger Canning. And sure as someone said you're no oil painting yourself Joe!

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 27, 2015, 12:13:36 PM
I have to say I've listened to all the debate around Joe's lampooning of Marty. Was it any more spiteful or hurtful than the Giftgrub womanising persona? Was Marty really that upset? How many people actually laughed at the analogy before Lyster pulled Joe up about it? Why is it ok to lampoon some people but not others? Marty has a fine career in the public eye and imo is a great commentator certainly a lot better than Ger Canning. And sure as someone said you're no oil painting yourself Joe!

GiftGrub is a spoof.

Joe Brolly is........never mind.
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

Quote from: muppet on May 27, 2015, 12:15:20 PM

GiftGrub is a spoof.

Joe Brolly is........never mind.
A spoofer?

twohands!!!

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 27, 2015, 12:39:26 PM

But Joe is supposed to be analysing a football match?

Also Marty and Joe are colleagues which basically makes its a very strange case of workplace bullying over the public airwaves.

It would be interesting to heard what a legal-law-talking person with a knowledge of employment law would make of the whole thing.

Speaking of the whole legal side of things, I really wonder how anyone who has seen Brolly on television would engage his professional legal services. 

BluestackBoy

Quote from: ck on May 27, 2015, 11:01:20 AM
Lads, Jimmy McGuinness and Joe Brolly have plenty in common, it's called EGO!
McGuinness has employed a PR agency in Glasgow and Dublin to spin all this stuff (that the press lap up) like him doing his coaching badges and taking a coaching role at Celtic and speaking to Rugby teams. A relation of mine has just finished a sabbatical at Celtic and he said McGuinness was rarely near the senior set up and the coaches didn't even know who he was. When he's interviewed he spins a totally different line. It's called self promotion.

Hard to know where to start with this.

When you say that McGuinness has employed a PR agency (first I've heard of it) to spin aout coaching badges, speaking to rugby teams & coaching at Celtic, which incidentally is not his role, are you saying that these things are not true?

As for your relation & his "sabattical", McGuinness is not a coach, hasn't got his badges. He works one on one with players focussing on the mental side. So I'd say it's your relation who doesn't understand what's happening at Celtic.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

J70

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 27, 2015, 02:27:31 PM
McGuinness has employed a PR agency in Glasgow and Dublin to spin all this stuff (that the press lap up) like him doing his coaching badges and taking a coaching role at Celtic and speaking to Rugby teams. A relation of mine has just finished a sabbatical at Celtic and he said McGuinness was rarely near the senior set up and the coaches didn't even know who he was. When he's interviewed he spins a totally different line. It's called self promotion.

When you say that McGuinness has employed a PR agency (first I've heard of it) to spin aout coaching badges, speaking to rugby teams & coaching at Celtic, which incidentally is not his role, are you saying that these things are not true?

As for your relation & his "sabattical", McGuinness is not a coach, hasn't got his badges. He works one on one with players focussing on the mental side. So I'd say it's your relation who doesn't understand what's happening at Celtic.

CK has a hard on for Jim for the past 5 years.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: J70 on May 27, 2015, 02:56:07 PM

CK has a hard on for Jim for the past 5 years.

Jim is a happily married man & would have no time for such carry on.

Honest to God this referendum result has some fellas heads turned  :-* :-* :-*

Man Marker

By God Lyster wasn't bit happy about it, his face and finger wagging at Joe is priceless.

GalwayBayBoy

On the plus side at least Joe got his annual apology out of the way early this year.

Gabriel_Hurl

From the head of RTE Sport

QuoteI have spoken with Joe Brolly about the comments he made in relation to RTE Sport's GAA Correspondent and commentator Marty Morrissey on last weekend's Sunday Game Live broadcast. Joe is acutely aware that his ill-conceived attempt at humour was both inappropriate and extremely hurtful and had no place in any broadcast. Further, Joe is fully cognisant of the fact that similar comments in any future broadcast cannot and will not be tolerated.

Joe Brolly has spoken at length with and offered a heartfelt apology to Marty Morrissey which was graciously accepted.

All parties now consider this matter closed.

ck

You've chosen to completely miss the point.
Of course hes there as a psychologist but its the elevated position that is being bandied around in the media that his PR company are pushing. It is they who got him the sky gig, newspapers and TV appearances. Ive not once heard him play down the coaching ambition. Fair play to him, I'm just drawing parallels to Brolly and his desire to remain relevant via the media.

ck

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 27, 2015, 04:33:30 PM
From the head of RTE Sport

QuoteI have spoken with Joe Brolly about the comments he made in relation to RTE Sport's GAA Correspondent and commentator Marty Morrissey on last weekend's Sunday Game Live broadcast. Joe is acutely aware that his ill-conceived attempt at humour was both inappropriate and extremely hurtful and had no place in any broadcast. Further, Joe is fully cognisant of the fact that similar comments in any future broadcast cannot and will not be tolerated.

Joe Brolly has spoken at length with and offered a heartfelt apology to Marty Morrissey which was graciously accepted.

All parties now consider this matter closed.

So RTE release a statement to cover their asses, meanwhile Joe laughs behind his hand. Bet Brolly wont be release a statement

BluestackBoy

Quote from: ck on May 27, 2015, 04:38:54 PM

You've chosen to completely miss the point.
Of course hes there as a psychologist but its the elevated position that is being bandied around in the media that his PR company are pushing. It is they who got him the sky gig, newspapers and TV appearances. Ive not once heard him play down the coaching ambition. Fair play to him, I'm just drawing parallels to Brolly and his desire to remain relevant via the media.

What is this "elevated" position? He is doing a job of work at Celtic, in his area of expertise,  to pay his bills. He isn't the manager or a coach. There is nothing elevated about what he does.

I don't watch Sky so I can't comment there, he has one weekly newspaper column just like what seems like every second ex player at the moment & I would far rather read his take on things than I would Spillane or Cake, but everyone to his own. As for TV appearances, I must have missed those.

I'd say whoever this PR company is, they are doing a poor job.

orangeman

Joe wins yet again.