Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 10, 2015, 05:39:12 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 10, 2015, 05:19:44 PM
Quote from: Zulu on May 10, 2015, 04:58:00 PM
I don't understand why you don't like this suggestion though Benny. It's a very good and simple one and well worth a try. Football has only one real problem and that is a crushing negativity of mind. The game is largely fine as a sport but we have started to play it in a way that is more about not losing and less about going out and winning. Brolly's solution would help prevent these mass defences and put the emphasis back on going out to win the game.

Benny shoots everything down because Joe has described what Tyrone club football is like.

They have trained the next generation of footballers in Tyrone to play like the Black Death.

Anything that reduces their defenders to actually have to defend of put a premium on accurate score taking renders them redundant.

Their is a clear and concerted policy of certain counties to shoot every proposal down because they are scared of the alternative.

The alternative is Gaelic Football as we know it

Ok, fair enough. Bring in the rule change. In fact bring in every rule change that every pundit suggests and make sure you don't trial it either because that is just wasting time. The alternative however, is Gaelic football as we know it.

No it's about returning the game to it's core principles. Playing the ball repeatedly along the half back line back and across isn't

Currently it's like how the East Germans used to choose their Olympic Athletes. Pick a 100 men and throw them all into a wall. the one left standing will be an Olympic Champion. That's gaelic football -Tyrone style.

Zulu

I want to see a fast paced physical game where kicking has primacy. Not that there is necessarily more kicking than hand passing but that kicking the ball still has a major effect on the game. There doesn't have to be a lot of scores in a game for it to be good but I don't think most people enjoy watching a probing type of game where players pass the parcel across the field and have runners try to break the defensive line. I want to see a game where James O'Donoghue or Jamie Clarke can play in the full forward line and have the ball kicked into them. I don't want a game where they have to play in their own half back or half forward line and primarily hand pass the ball to their team mates.

fearglasmor

Quote from: Zulu on May 10, 2015, 06:20:07 PM
I want to see a fast paced physical game where kicking has primacy. Not that there is necessarily more kicking than hand passing but that kicking the ball still has a major effect on the game. There doesn't have to be a lot of scores in a game for it to be good but I don't think most people enjoy watching a probing type of game where players pass the parcel across the field and have runners try to break the defensive line. I want to see a game where James O'Donoghue or Jamie Clarke can play in the full forward line and have the ball kicked into them. I don't want a game where they have to play in their own half back or half forward line and primarily hand pass the ball to their team mates.
Yes

Fear ón Srath Bán

OK, so just to be clear: you want changes to the rules because today's teams don't conform to your ideas of aesthetic purity and integrity?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

INDIANA

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 10, 2015, 07:01:19 PM
OK, so just to be clear: you want changes to the rules because today's teams don't conform to your ideas of aesthetic purity and integrity?

Because the game is an eyesore to watch. Kicking has been reduced to being irrelevant. The hand-pass rules the game. You can't coach physics in a confined space.

The GAA has a responsibility to ensure the core principles of the game are allowed to flourish. kicking is one of them. Not that you'd know it from watching Tyrone.

Itchy

Jesus man, are you happy with what you are seeing? What I see is basketball, gym monkey's smash into each other. I'm certain the majority of supporters are the same. Its not unusual for sports to do things like this. What's your objection to trying this?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: INDIANA on May 10, 2015, 07:07:19 PM

Because the game is an eyesore to watch. Kicking has been reduced to being irrelevant. The hand-pass rules the game. You can't coach physics in a confined space.

The GAA has a responsibility to ensure the core principles of the game are allowed to flourish. kicking is one of them. Not that you'd know it from watching Tyrone.

Jezuz INDIANA, I'm now fearful for your sanctity of mind.

i agree to an extent, that it would be preferable if we could get the ball up to our scoring zone quicker, but if we don't have the players capable of such at Senior level should we just roll over belly up, or should we try to adapt our game plan to deal with such realities?

Regardless, we're paying the price for our mediocrity this NFL year, with Div II demotion.

Watch out though, those big bad U21s are on your case! :)

Over the Bar

If all teams kicked the ball and didn't bother hand-passing would you be complaining that one of the core aspects of the game was in decline?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Itchy on May 10, 2015, 07:16:33 PM

Jesus man, are you happy with what you are seeing? What I see is basketball, gym monkey's smash into each other. I'm certain the majority of supporters are the same. Its not unusual for sports to do things like this. What's your objection to trying this?

I'm against tinkering with the rules for aesthetic reasons alone (and this is what that's about)  -  scoring averages are up this year, and  that from someone who was more on the receiving than giving end this year.

Zulu

Well obviously it's not clear to you. Firstly it isn't my idea of 'aesthetic purity and integrity' (whatever the hell that is) but the fact that the majority of football supporters don't enjoy watching games with massed defences and pass the parcel games. As Itchy said, many sports have made fundamental changes to their sport to make them more enjoyable to watch. And as Indiana pointed out, kicking is a fundamental skill in our sport yet it's becoming less relevant when teams simply flood back to prevent a long kick into the forwards. In addition, I have repeatedly stated that I'd be slow to change any rules but if it is required to help the game then so be it.

QuoteIf all teams kicked the ball and didn't bother hand-passing would you be complaining that one of the core aspects of the game was in decline?

I would anyway as I think the hand pass is a wonderful element to our game and produces some brilliant team scores. However, slow lateral or backwards passing in the face of a defensive cordon is often woeful to watch.

Quotei agree to an extent, that it would be preferable if we could get the ball up to our scoring zone quicker, but if we don't have the players capable of such at Senior level should we just roll over belly up, or should we try to adapt our game plan to deal with such realities?

That's a cop out. Tyrone don't need to play 14 men behind the ball to be competitive but doing so is the easiest way of making yourselves competitive.

QuoteI'm against tinkering with the rules for aesthetic reasons alone (and this is what that's about)  -  scoring averages are up this year, and  that from someone who was more on the receiving than giving end this year.

It isn't for aesthetic reasons alone but even if it was that would be a good enough reason as keeping a sport entertaining to watch is a fundamental element of keeping it healthy. I don't know what scoring averages have to do with anything, especially when a serious ball has yet to be kicked.

Fear ón Srath Bán

A bit touchy there Zulu. Scores are what count, and if more scores are actually being scored each game, then be careful what you actually wish for; for it doesn't matter how massed the defensive ranks are, if they're being breached

There's the whiff of elitism about all of this.

tiempo

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 10, 2015, 07:41:27 PM
A bit touchy there Zulu. Scores are what count, and if more scores are actually being scored each game, then be careful what you actually wish for; for it doesn't matter how massed the defensive ranks are, if they're being breached

There's the whiff of elitism about all of this.

Just the stench of "well if you can't beat them, join them change the rules"

Zulu

Not touchy at all FoSB but if you want to discuss this and get an appreciation of where I'm coming from (and thousands of others) then perhaps you shouldn't dismiss it flippantly.

How is this elitism? It's footballing strongholds and traditional powerhouses that are playing it. If this was Antrim or Clare doing it you might have a point but Tyrone aren't that or Donegal, Derry, Kerry, for that matter.

Scores are not what count, they are part of the game just like marking, blocking, kick passing, high fielding dummy solos, beating a defender with pace control and agility. Lots of these skills are eroded by massed defences and thus the game suffers. I do believe the blanket defences are a busted flush but they are very effective for keeping a score down so if you do that a lucky break (like Kerry last year) can win you the game so it's worth sticking with for when you come up against a better team.

I don't know how anyone that is a supporter of football can not be concerned about the game and wouldn't, at least, consider proposals to address it. I've never been less excited by the championship and I'm a bit concerned by what we'll see next weekend and many of the weekends after.

QuoteJust the stench of "well if you can't beat them, join them change the rules"

Nobody wins if the game becomes unwatchable.

No1

QuoteScores are not what count

What? They are the only thing that that count to anyone looking for a victory.

Itchy

Any sport would be concerned. Soccer would be concerned if every game ended 1 nil. Rugby would be concerned if there were no tries in a game and GAA supporters are concerned at the way things are now