Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2015, 03:09:50 PM
One thing about that Benny, though, is that the blanket defense, and the tactical approach to keeping things tight, was already well under way before last year. This is not a new development, it's just getting more common. As I said, Offaly and Westmeath played out a sterile, boring, defensive game at least 3 years ago.

We did it 7 years ago in 2008. I remember Mickey Harte at the time lambasting us saying we were just getting bodies behind the ball and not offering an attacking strategy, which wasn't strictly true. Plus we didn't have enough decent attackers to play in the 6 traditional positions, which forced our hand. Looking back though we were years ahead of our time, will be a while before we can say that again.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Do you remember the game I'm talking about Croi? God it was painful. Dessie had slightly more success against our bullshite than Nialler did against yers. If I remember correctly Offaly only tried out this approach fairly shortly before that game, because Westmeath were known to set up like that. It was horrendous. Good job it was a nice evening in Tullamore.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 08, 2015, 03:26:05 PM
One thing about that Benny, though, is that the blanket defense, and the tactical approach to keeping things tight, was already well under way before last year. This is not a new development, it's just getting more common. As I said, Offaly and Westmeath played out a sterile, boring, defensive game at least 3 years ago.

We did it 7 years ago in 2008. I remember Mickey Harte at the time lambasting us saying we were just getting bodies behind the ball and not offering an attacking strategy, which wasn't strictly true. Plus we didn't have enough decent attackers to play in the 6 traditional positions, which forced our hand. Looking back though we were years ahead of our time, will be a while before we can say that again.

So all this is Westmeath's fault?
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

This is the match report. It was relatively high scoring 2-11 to 1-8, but the style of play was putrid. And it was 2008!!!!! The years are going too quickly.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2008/0607/232921-westmeath_offaly/

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2015, 03:29:12 PM
Do you remember the game I'm talking about Croi? God it was painful. Dessie had slightly more success against our bullshite than Nialler did against yers. If I remember correctly Offaly only tried out this approach fairly shortly before that game, because Westmeath were known to set up like that. It was horrendous. Good job it was a nice evening in Tullamore.

I sure do, that game was in 2008 and was the game where Dessie flew in by helicopter from Gary's wedding where he was best man. Flan also picked up a nasty knee injury which ruled him out of starting the Dublin game when he was playing probably his most consistent football ever that year. I remember saying at the time that it was madness Offaly trying to copycat our gameplan, which would have been totally alien to them. Although that's now the accepted method to adopt against the blanket.

That was also in the aftermath of Cowen getting the top job, Tullamore still had the bunting and flags up. So we can now link the demise of football to the demise of the country so where is the so called recovery?

Edit: You beat me to it with the report. Strangly I don't remember the game being as turgent as the report suggests. The victory in the heart of bandit country, the fine day that it was and Dessie's dummy and point from the corner of the field probably colour my reflections on it.

AZOffaly

I was standing on the terrace with Dermot Brady and another friend of mine from Ballinagore. The game started with us slagging one another as per usual, but after a while we were just looking at it shaking our heads. They didn't even give me a going over at the end of the game.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2015, 03:57:21 PMThey didn't even give me a going over at the end of the game.

A wasted opportunity.

AZOffaly

I know. And I didn't even have the heart to give out about Dessie getting Sullivan sent off.

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 08, 2015, 03:30:55 PM

Wheren't Donegal at it back in 03 in the q final replay against Galway in Castlebar?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 08, 2015, 03:55:15 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2015, 03:29:12 PM

I sure do, that game was in 2008 and was the game where Dessie flew in by helicopter from Gary's wedding where he was best man. Flan also picked up a nasty knee injury which ruled him out of starting the Dublin game when he was playing probably his most consistent football ever that year. I remember saying at the time that it was madness Offaly trying to copycat our gameplan, which would have been totally alien to them. Although that's now the accepted method to adopt against the blanket.

Correct, Westmeath had being doing the blanket defence all year to good effect and Offaly, lead by the disastrous Pat Roe opted to do the same for the first time for that game. 
Westmeath lost by a small margin to the Dubs in the next round, which in retrospect justifies the approach even more, considering some of the rogerings they've gotten since against the Jacks.

In the qualifiers, Westmeath went up to Omagh and gave Tyrone a lesson in defensive play and only lost by 2 points. I remember late on, they had a shot that rolled just wide across an empty goal. A couple of inches the other way and Kerry would have snuck in for another easy Sam, while Tyrone saved the hay.

ONeill

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 08, 2015, 03:30:55 PM

It really is starting to look that way. What a shower....
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

smelmoth

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 08, 2015, 01:54:26 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on April 08, 2015, 01:36:23 PM
On the black card you and everyone else are free to challenge Brolly. Just point out which (or is it all) of the black card offences that you want to either legalise or reduce the penalty for? Just set out your rationale and your evidence. the floor is yours.

tyrone and Mickey Harte have not challenged Brolly. They have complained about him but they have not set out a counter argument

Irrespective of whatever point he makes he seems to be quite agenda driven. In terms of football over the last number of years then Donegal's first year under McGuinness was as dire as it gets. Did he criticise them? A lot of his points are fuelled by the Tyrone - Derry rivalry

What's the old saying "play the ball not the man". When you "play the man" your point(s) is pretty much redundant. In the case of Joe Brolly and his Mickey Harte points to me they mean nothing. It's nothing but pettiness.  He's firing out way too many insults.

Surely its unimportant if he has an agenda. Its far more important to evaluate the merits of his points. What is the argument that his points are incorrect/invalid? Are you playing the man or the ball?

Is your point that his criticism of Donegal os wrong or that the viewpoint is correct but he is not allowed to state that view because he was initially quiet on the subject? Are you playing the man or the ball?

On Harte specifically he is criticisng Tyrone's style of play. Is that criticism not valid? is he not also criticising other counties - including his own? This cannot be dismissed as simple Derry-Tyrone rivalry. Have not other commentators made similar points? No doubt these commentators from other counties are still infected with Tyrone-Derry rivalry????

Or maybe its easier for you to play the man?

smelmoth

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 08, 2015, 03:05:28 PM
Has he put forward an analysis of how the blanket works?
Yes. Repeatedly

Has he put forward a tactical analysis of how to work around it?
No

Has he suggested reasons why managers are going down this route?
Yes. Its a single point but he has repeated it often enough

If you read or listen to the man you would know this. Don't let that stop you

BennyHarp

Quote from: smelmoth on April 08, 2015, 08:40:17 PM
Has he put forward an analysis of how the blanket works?
Yes. Repeatedly

Has he put forward a tactical analysis of how to work around it?
No

Has he suggested reasons why managers are going down this route?
Yes. Its a single point but he has repeated it often enough

If you read or listen to the man you would know this. Don't let that stop you

I've read and listened to the man enough to know that his analysis consists of whatever bluster floats into his head at the time. He does not and never has analysed a game from a tactical point of view. But throw up a link to the analysis your talking about. But he is very good at convincing people that he is making perfect sense - it is his day job after all.
That was never a square ball!!

Mike Sheehy

hmmm..so Joe Brolly is now public enemy number 1 in Tyrone ? You lads loved him when he was taking pot shots at us !