Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 07, 2015, 04:27:32 PM
They'd also be within their rights to give him a slap on the gob too, in my opinion.

Would Jordan go down even quicker if he was actually slapped? !

Main Street

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 07, 2015, 05:32:24 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 07, 2015, 03:59:25 PM
I don't know Lynchboy, Mickey just didn't get ill overnight before Joe's article. The sad thing is that Joe's behaviour which involves trying to maximise his own opinions and profile would mean that people may believe he chooses the most high profile person of the week to sling mud at. Mickey not being at Omagh was always going to be a big story to piggy back on. Now this may not be true, but the way he behaves certainly makes people cynical. This whole idea of using the media to call for people to be sacked in the GAA is just rotten to the core anyway, regardless of the situation regarding Mickeys health. Unfortunately, Joe, like any bully, responds to those egging him on telling him he's deadly craic and a brilliant wind up merchant and ignores those telling him to wind his neck in and that he's going a bit too far.
I don't agree with Joe on a lot of things and I don't think I'd be saying quite the same things or in the same way - but I don't think joe is vindictive or what he is saying is pre-meditated.
Yes maybe it is shooting from the hip , but that's not pre-meditated.
Not my style but joe does a lot of it to court media attention.

The items listed by dermyt- well Joe might not be all that wrong in most - from a certain perspective.

Grimley got it badly wrong that day ( but has redeemed himself in later games /year) . The twins should have been better for Armagh than they were - as they were talented lads. If not a bit mad.
Half of tyrone is calling for Mickey hartes resignation. Jordan Prob did dive ( on more than one occasion- good player he was though) but this story seemed to be joe stirring up controversy as he'd nothing much to argue about at that time!

Again all Joe courting controversy. Getting people irate and talking. He's taking the psis imo.

I'd not do it - well on here we all state our forthright opinions, but I'd expect we would have a bit more decorum if in the public arena.
That's where we differ from Joe.

Just my opinion.
Why does he feel the constant need to court attention, court controversy? For him, it's an addiction.  He's at the stage where he's a pathological histrionic attention seeker and it's getting more extreme in the last few weeks/months. How long will it be before he begins to suspect that Tyrone  and Derry use those tactics, just to screw with him personally, out of vindictiveness? Joe's getting more unhinged by the month. And the strange obsession with Tyrone lingers on,  I mean who really cares about Tyrone any more, they're harmless, you'd almost pity them now.

yellowcard

I'm not sure where his hatred for Tyrone and Mickey Harte methods come from but there is a definite agenda and how Harte has not reacted to some of Brollys insults about him is beyond me. I'd love to hear a debate with Harte and Brolly in the same room, there appears to be a genuine dislike from Brolly towards Harte when you consider that Jimmy McGuinness played much more negatively than Harte yet never suffered the same personal insults as Harte has done from Brolly.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on April 07, 2015, 08:09:02 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 07, 2015, 05:32:24 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 07, 2015, 03:59:25 PM
I don't know Lynchboy, Mickey just didn't get ill overnight before Joe's article. The sad thing is that Joe's behaviour which involves trying to maximise his own opinions and profile would mean that people may believe he chooses the most high profile person of the week to sling mud at. Mickey not being at Omagh was always going to be a big story to piggy back on. Now this may not be true, but the way he behaves certainly makes people cynical. This whole idea of using the media to call for people to be sacked in the GAA is just rotten to the core anyway, regardless of the situation regarding Mickeys health. Unfortunately, Joe, like any bully, responds to those egging him on telling him he's deadly craic and a brilliant wind up merchant and ignores those telling him to wind his neck in and that he's going a bit too far.
I don't agree with Joe on a lot of things and I don't think I'd be saying quite the same things or in the same way - but I don't think joe is vindictive or what he is saying is pre-meditated.
Yes maybe it is shooting from the hip , but that's not pre-meditated.
Not my style but joe does a lot of it to court media attention.

The items listed by dermyt- well Joe might not be all that wrong in most - from a certain perspective.

Grimley got it badly wrong that day ( but has redeemed himself in later games /year) . The twins should have been better for Armagh than they were - as they were talented lads. If not a bit mad.
Half of tyrone is calling for Mickey hartes resignation. Jordan Prob did dive ( on more than one occasion- good player he was though) but this story seemed to be joe stirring up controversy as he'd nothing much to argue about at that time!

Again all Joe courting controversy. Getting people irate and talking. He's taking the psis imo.

I'd not do it - well on here we all state our forthright opinions, but I'd expect we would have a bit more decorum if in the public arena.
That's where we differ from Joe.

Just my opinion.
Why does he feel the constant need to court attention, court controversy? For him, it's an addiction.  He's at the stage where he's a pathological histrionic attention seeker and it's getting more extreme in the last few weeks/months. How long will it be before he begins to suspect that Tyrone  and Derry use those tactics, just to screw with him personally, out of vindictiveness? Joe's getting more unhinged by the month. And the strange obsession with Tyrone lingers on,  I mean who really cares about Tyrone any more, they're harmless, you'd almost pity them now.
Only he knows MS
But I'm sure it's a logical enough and most likely a harmless enough reason!!

ONeill

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 07, 2015, 03:49:19 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 06, 2015, 09:39:16 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 06, 2015, 06:32:48 PM
You lads/kids/girls should know better to not be taken in by his wind ups

In fairness I don't think most people take him seriously at all, the point here is the awful timing of the article given the situation with Harte.
I don't think he'd say anything about Harte if he thought Harte was unwell. Brolly writes his stuff at least a week in advance.

You couldn't be further from the truth. Editors are often waiting into the early hours before printing to receive his articles.

Joe thinks he's striking a blow for his establishment - RTE - with his anti-Harte stance. He's also a performer and loves the attention his blasts gives him.

He's impossible to debate with. If he doesn't shout you down ('hold on, hold on') he'll turn it into a joke when things go against him with a few personal yet humorous insults ('ah sure it's only a bit of crack').

He's the Piers Morgan of the GAA.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: ONeill on April 07, 2015, 11:06:03 PM

In fairness I don't think most people take him seriously at all, the point here is the awful timing of the article given the situation with Harte.
I don't think he'd say anything about Harte if he thought Harte was unwell. Brolly writes his stuff at least a week in advance.

You couldn't be further from the truth. Editors are often waiting into the early hours before printing to receive his articles.

Joe thinks he's striking a blow for his establishment - RTE - with his anti-Harte stance. He's also a performer and loves the attention his blasts gives him.

He's impossible to debate with. If he doesn't shout you down ('hold on, hold on') he'll turn it into a joke when things go against him with a few personal yet humorous insults ('ah sure it's only a bit of crack').

I don't doubt it

Doesn't mean he hasn't a large proportion of it written way in advance Though !

Just don't be trying to apply logic to joe and his reasoning.  I gave up long ago.
I can see why you wrote and think the above

I'm surprised no one has accused you of being joe brolly yet !

ONeill

Resisted writing "typical Dungiven man, surr".

Joe can be funny. But maybe he needs an advisor. For an intelligent man, he can come out with some dangerous guff. Cavanagh talked of the aftermath of his 'not a man' comment - how his business and wife were affected. That stuff he came out with about (Paddy?) Andrews who played for Dublin in 2005 was scandalous - 'he should be nowhere near a football field' - and now calling on Harte to be sacked.

He has a responsibility to be half-sensible in his position (I'd like to think) - analyse the game - not the man.

JoG2

Is the official line re Harte not a routine / minor operation from which he has been recovering at home since last Friday? Anything other than this has been what some posters have been hinting at on here. Or am I missing something?

ONeill

So, is it gossip you're after?

Ard-Rí

Great article below by Ewan MacKenna on Joe Brolly & 'the end is near' brigade in Gaelic Football.
I think the GAA should be demanding a more mature analysis of its games by media outlets that are given the rights to broadcast games. Those with only a casual interest in Football are likely to be turned off by the depressingly negative tone in the analysis. Lets not forget that RTÉ, when championship season arrives, will devote more time to Joe Brolly's opinions than it will to championship games between smaller counties.

https://ewanmackenna.wordpress.com/2015/04/07/agendas-over-analysis-are-the-real-reason-for-footballs-crisis-talk/
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

JoG2

Quote from: ONeill on April 07, 2015, 11:30:37 PM

Not in the slightest. maybe have a pop at your fellow county men for hinting it's more and not showing a bit more decorum

BennyHarp

Quote from: JoG2 on April 08, 2015, 12:00:50 AM

Not in the slightest. maybe have a pop at your fellow county men for hinting it's more and not showing a bit more decorum

So it's not more then?
That was never a square ball!!

JoG2

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 08, 2015, 12:06:11 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on April 08, 2015, 12:00:50 AM

So it's not more then?

No idea. Hopefully not

maigheo

Excellent article and Tomas O Shea had a good article in last fridays indo about Brollys rantings.I have never met anybody with any knowledge of gaelic football that thinks Brolly is even the first cousin of being an expert  on football so Mckennas article is a little bit off in that respect.

DermyTDredi

Quote from: ONeill on April 07, 2015, 11:06:03 PM

He's the Katie Hopkins of the GAA