FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

McGeady looked sharp enough on Friday. Contrary to prejudiced opinion  :) his end product was good enough even by quality standards.
He took the only corner from the left, the best set piece of the evening, which was expertly laid on a sixpence for St Ledger to head home, but the goalie made a good save. He created the space for himself after a darting run to have a shot, decent enough, the best shot by an Irish player all night. His other 2 crosses  into the box, one low -  created mayhem in their box  a few seconds into the 2nd half, the other was an exquisitely hit 40m pass which landed on Lawrence's foot in the box. Other than that, whenever the ball came his way he either held it up nicely or won the free. His covering play was decent but Kilbane needs better protection. When Kilbane comes forward and the ball is lost we get into trouble.

Trap will not change his midfield strategy. We don't play through midfield. We play the ball long to Doyle. Midfield pass the ball back to the back 4 or find the wide midfielders. We don't have Stephen Ireland available and Andy Reid  (injured now) might cut the mustard if he was used like Fahey was. But in these things I suppose Trap has other reasons why. In any case Reid does not play at cm for his club. Steven Reid was the real McCoy for Ireland at CM but he got injured.
We have by our standards an abundance of wide midfielders and a sparsity of good all round central midfielders. Trap's stratagem makes total sense. I found myself in total agreement with everything Kenny Cunningham was saying on the rte commentary. The offensive shift in our game has to come from the full backs. As soon as Coleman improves on his defensive duties and Cunningham gets more experience I think we will have a team ready to top the group. McCarthy coming through, Hunt on the mend and Duff is have an Indian summer to end his career at the top.

Shamrock Shore

50 euro to see An-fecking-dorra. No way Pedro. Them lads will stick 11 behind the ball and defend like mad. It won't make for pleasant viewing. I'll watch it on the telly methinks.

Geoff Tipps

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

The Worker

Quote from: ross4life on September 07, 2010, 05:59:24 PM
Russia beaten at home good result for us?

not really.

Russia will be out all guns blazing in lansdowne next month, they will be keen to get a win and back on track

GBXII

Yeah have to agree with the worker there, will probably make Ireland's game V Russia next month even harder. However, if we were to manage a win V the Russians then that could pretty much eliminate them from the reckoning, so should be a cracker of game.

ross4life

Slovakia will be expecting to top the group after that result tonight
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ross4life

Well that fair play speech thing was embarrassing

Celt_Man

This UEFA fair play annoucement yoke is some pile of nonsense....

even worse now that the microphones didn't work
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

paco

Not that much of a crowd. 50 Euros is very steep.

red hander

Fair play to Zinedine Kilbane ... he's been some servant

Celt_Man

Quote from: red hander on September 07, 2010, 08:08:57 PM
Fair play to Zinedine Kilbane ... he's been some servant

Hasn;t missed a game since 1999... unreal really

Celt_Man

Some boring shite....

and just as I say that... what a cracker from Doyler!!!

ross4life

boring yes but a nice goal there, game should be done & dusted now, might switch over to see can Rooney score again  ;)