FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 12, 2010, 08:44:15 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 11, 2010, 08:28:12 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2010, 03:20:53 PM
I wouldn't usually be looking in here, but I wanted to know what people think of the national broadcaster referring to the Argentinian national team as "the Argies" in its sports bulletins. It's my understanding that this is a disrespectful term that originated in the British tabloids at the time of the Malvinas war. I certainly don't think you'd hear it on the BBC, just as you wouldn't hear them referring to eye-ties or krauts. But RTÉ's standards of sub-editing and basic competence in the language seem to have sunk so low that they don't even know (or care) what they're saying.

Does RTÉ even have a department that looks after language guidelines and pronunciation or the like? I'd say they definitely don't but for one thing. Everyone on RTÉ seems to have been trained to pronounce the "R" in "RTÉ" as "Arrrrr", which nobody else in the country does, that I know of. My guess is that the old codger who runs language and pronunciation has forgotten everything else except the importance of "Arrrr" and that's all new recruits get taught. And of course he can't be fired or even told what to do because he's a civil servant.

Sorry - I didn't know where this was going when I started.

YOUR RIGHT NO ONE CARES
As long as they make the selves clearly understood . it does not matter how they pronounce words or spell them for that matter. it is the main strength of the english language .
refudiate my point if you must

Evidently so

Brilliant! I'd have missed this classic if someone hadn't sent me a PM about it. It's wonderful how a few sentences of near English can so effectively make a point, even if it's the opposite to the one intended.

Billys Boots

Steve Staunton was referring to the opposition as the 'Argies' last night on Sky.  Jaysus.   ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Quote from: Main Street on August 11, 2010, 10:18:42 PM
BTW  the use of the the term "Argie" is no more derogative than 'Aussie'.  Doesn't matter when the term was made popular or by who. It has entered into common enough usage and can be used without disrespect just like any other abbreviation.

I think that's a matter of opinion, MS and that's what the debate is about. A quick google shows there's nowhere near unanimity on whether it's derogatory or not. It seems at least some Argentinians don't like it. My main point was that the likes of RTÉ should have editorial policy on something like this, instead of letting some wet-behind-the-ears cub reporter read his script on the sports news unchecked.

AZOffaly

I was thinking how shocked they'd be if Stan started about the 'Brits' if we were playing England, particularly.

GBXII

Watched the game last night and I thought Kilbane looked seriously past it, eventhough I was never much of a fan and I realise he was up against Messi a good bit. Surely Ireland would be better served if O'Shea went left back and then Dunne and St. Ledger were in the middle with McShane on the right? (I wouldn't start McShane personally, but he played ok last night and it looks like there is absolutely no one else challenging for the right back spot).

Declan

QuoteI wouldn't start McShane personally, but he played ok last night and it looks like there is absolutely no one else challenging for the right back spot).

I wouldn't have him as a kit man - the biggest cheer he got last night was when he mis-controlled a pass over the touch line and promptly pulled on the ball and ballooned it into the top tier of the West stand. Seamus Coleman would have been worth a look last night.

On the lack of beer I rang the FAI this morning for an explanation and was told that it was a "rule" that they could only serve beer in the premium/corporate level. When I asked which "rule" that was they quoted Uefa but when I said that I had asked Uefa who said they knew of no such rule they hmmmmd a bit and took my number and said they'd get back to me. ??? ???

GBXII

QuoteSeamus Coleman would have been worth a look last night.

Actually, yeah thats a good point, totally forgot about him. The management seem seriously conservative when it comes to trying out new players, especially in problem positions like left and right back. Coleman definitely would have been worth a look though.

AFS

Quote from: GBXII on August 12, 2010, 01:35:02 PM

Actually, yeah thats a good point, totally forgot about him. The management seem seriously conservative when it comes to trying out new players, especially in problem positions like left and right back. Coleman definitely would have been worth a look though.

Kevin Foley is another fullback option who never gets a look in.

johnneycool

Quote from: GBXII on August 12, 2010, 01:35:02 PM

Was one of the critisms of the Trappatoni regime was that they never took time to go looking at peripheral and up and coming talent?

Coleman is promising and the fact that Moyes hasn't loaned him out this year means he may be getting a few starts and considering his main opponent at Everton for right full back is Tony Hibbert then he's in with a good shout.

In the word of Eamon dunphy 'McShane is a disaster waiting to happen'

passedit

Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2010, 12:46:41 PM
I wouldn't usually be looking in here, but I wanted to know what people think of the national broadcaster referring to the Argentinian national team as "the Argies" in its sports bulletins. It's my understanding that this is a disrespectful term that originated in the British tabloids at the time of the Malvinas war. I certainly don't think you'd hear it on the BBC, just as you wouldn't hear them referring to eye-ties or krauts. But RTÉ's standards of sub-editing and basic competence in the language seem to have sunk so low that they don't even know (or care) what they're saying.

Does RTÉ even have a department that looks after language guidelines and pronunciation or the like? I'd say they definitely don't but for one thing. Everyone on RTÉ seems to have been trained to pronounce the "R" in "RTÉ" as "Arrrrr", which nobody else in the country does, that I know of. My guess is that the old codger who runs language and pronunciation has forgotten everything else except the importance of "Arrrr" and that's all new recruits get taught. And of course he can't be fired or even told what to do because he's a civil servant.

YOUR RIGHT NO ONE CARES
As long as they make the selves clearly understood . it does not matter how they pronounce words or spell them for that matter. it is the main strength of the english language .

Evidently so

Brilliant! I'd have missed this classic if someone hadn't sent me a PM about it. It's wonderful how a few sentences of near English can so effectively make a point, even if it's the opposite to the one intended.
I'm very impressed that the apostrophe police has it's own network of informants. It's not a proper police force without snouts touts. Where would you get the budget for this?
Don't Panic

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2010, 10:08:02 AM
Quote from: Main Street on August 12, 2010, 09:51:37 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2010, 09:01:41 AM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 12, 2010, 08:46:17 AM
Can't believe people didn't know you can't be offside from a goal kick. :o  Higuain wasn't offside but Di Maria was.

I didn't know that to be honest. I knew you couldn't be offside from a throw in. I bet Shay Given didn't know that either. He went balubas and was pointing at Higuain
You cant be offside if you receive the ball directly from a goalkick.

BUT THE BALL WAS PASSED (by the receiver) TO THE GOALSCORER WHO WAS IN AN OFFSIDE POSITION.

Yes we know that Main Street.

But Shay Given's protests, in my opinion, were because of Higuain, that's what he was pointing at. Di Maria wasn't an obvious offside, certainly from Given's angle.

I didn't know the rule. I admit, until Razor told us.
As we know by now, when Shay runs to the linesman at full speed to protest (3 games in a row?), he invariably has it right.
As a top goalkeeper, Shay has vision beyond us mere mortals.
Therefore it is reasonable to assume that Shay was protesting at the real offside, which actually was more obvious from the camera angle directly behind Shay.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: passedit on August 12, 2010, 02:01:59 PM

YOUR RIGHT NO ONE CARES

Evidently so

I'm very impressed that the apostrophe police has it's own network of informants. It's not a proper police force without snouts touts. Where would you get the budget for this?

You're nicked!!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Capt Pat

The time in the dying minutes when Mc Shane passed the ball 70 yards back to the keeper instead of playing it into the box was a disgrace. I nearly had a fit.

paco

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 12, 2010, 08:37:33 PM
The time in the dying minutes when Mc Shane passed the ball 70 yards back to the keeper instead of playing it into the box was a disgrace. I nearly had a fit.

He's brutal. I feel bad when I watch him because he's always gonna be made the scapegoat, the poor lad can't help himself!

passedit

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 12, 2010, 05:12:09 PM
Quote from: passedit on August 12, 2010, 02:01:59 PM

YOUR RIGHT NO ONE CARES

Evidently so

You're nicked!!

I know ignorance is no defence in law but you're gonna have to enlighten me?
Don't Panic