Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

pbat

Kate Hoey is one poisonous hag. Worse than anyone the DUP can roll out.

Milltown Row2

Not going to read through all this, but a lot of businesses were given clear instructions by the government on what was needed to work with the border in the Irish Sea.

Is it possible that not too many took it seriously? That 'it'll be alright' ?

One of my clients works for a shipping company, she deals with the freight side of things, the paperwork was explained and they had all the info, the problem is they haven't bothered with it and carried on regardless, lorries head across the sea full of goods only to come back empty...

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2021, 11:27:16 PM
Not going to read through all this, but a lot of businesses were given clear instructions by the government on what was needed to work with the border in the Irish Sea.

One of my clients works for a shipping company, she deals with the freight side of things, the paperwork was explained and they had all the info, the problem is they haven't bothered with it and carried on regardless, lorries head across the sea full of goods only to come back empty...

I have spent the last week trying to deal with UPS. We were due to receive 5 packages from the UK at the start of January. We got 2 today. The rest are somewhere in their warehouse.

They are all over the place and are completely unprepared for Brexit. It doesn't help they have outsourced to the Philippines for their customer support so you're dealing with people with poor English who really don't know whats going on. I got an email yesterday from customer support that was so badly written you would think it was sent by a scammer.

Having made a number of complaints to escalate the issue I was told they have received alot of complaints so escalating any issue doesn't make any difference.

In terms of Brexit UPS's decision to cut costs is actually costing them money

seafoid

Most businesses in the export busibess have low margins and were unprepared because tge Tories drove negotiations until Christmas Eve.

Brexit is economic vandalism.
The DUP pointed out to Johnson in 2019 that the sea border wouldn't work but he didn't care. All he wanted was Brexit

It's very emotional for the DUP
https://www.ft.com/content/9da1d290-ef5f-11e9-ad1e-4367d8281195 

In March 2019, Eurosceptic Conservative MPs — including Mr Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg, now leader of the House of Commons — vowed to stand with their unionist colleagues in opposing Theresa May's deal.
Mr Rees-Mogg declared he "would not abandon the DUP" only 24 hours before doing the opposite. While the DUP voted against Mrs May's deal, Mr Rees-Mogg and Mr Johnson supported it, viewing the withdrawal agreement then as perhaps their last chance to save Brexit.  
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

We're not finding that at all Milltown... companies were guessing as to what they would need without clear information until the end of December.

We then found that companies in the UK we were selling to were massively unprepared (We ship our stuff from Dublin). Those who were prepared and  had agreements in place with couriers then found out that the couriers were not even close to being as prepared as they should be and pulled back on the previous agreement they had.

I have stock from December orders still sitting in my warehouse because my customers couldn't work out a way to get them collected from Dublin and taken across. It looks like it will be collected early next week but it's been difficult and ties up cash.

My own opinion is that at least in terms of stock going from Ireland to GB it's teething problems and that as time goes on the flow will improve but I'm not sure about the flow of goods from GB to NI or Ireland I think that'll be more difficult.

HiMucker

Quote from: dublin7 on February 03, 2021, 11:52:02 PM

I have spent the last week trying to deal with UPS. We were due to receive 5 packages from the UK at the start of January. We got 2 today. The rest are somewhere in their warehouse.

They are all over the place and are completely unprepared for Brexit. It doesn't help they have outsourced to the Philippines for their customer support so you're dealing with people with poor English who really don't know whats going on. I got an email yesterday from customer support that was so badly written you would think it was sent by a scammer.

Having made a number of complaints to escalate the issue I was told they have received alot of complaints so escalating any issue doesn't make any difference.

Try DHL. I have found them a lot better than the rest over brexit. They must have been better prepared. TNT and UPS have been a complete joke

HiMucker

Quote from: screenexile on February 04, 2021, 10:37:57 AM

We're not finding that at all Milltown... companies were guessing as to what they would need without clear information until the end of December.

We then found that companies in the UK we were selling to were massively unprepared (We ship our stuff from Dublin). Those who were prepared and  had agreements in place with couriers then found out that the couriers were not even close to being as prepared as they should be and pulled back on the previous agreement they had.

I have stock from December orders still sitting in my warehouse because my customers couldn't work out a way to get them collected from Dublin and taken across. It looks like it will be collected early next week but it's been difficult and ties up cash.

My own opinion is that at least in terms of stock going from Ireland to GB it's teething problems and that as time goes on the flow will improve but I'm not sure about the flow of goods from GB to NI or Ireland I think that'll be more difficult.
Thats were I am having issues. Getting stuff from England over to here. But the problem is getting the goods lifted from the business premises, not any hold up at the ports (though this was an issue at the start). Its taking couriers days to arrange the actual collection as drivers, or the pallet network wont go near it until everything customs related has been sorted out, as a whole trailer can be held up because one pallet doesn't have the correct info. One of the issues Im hearing is that the lorry that the goods are going on the ferry has to be identified when booking it in with customs, and obviously that isn't straight forward, as couriers would have an arrange of options, and before would sort that out once the goods were collected. Now they have to have all that done in advance. Getting smaller goods over using parcelforce or DHL has been simple, no issues there.

screenexile

Quote from: HiMucker on February 04, 2021, 10:45:21 AM

Try DHL. I have found them a lot better than the rest over brexit. They must have been better prepared. TNT and UPS have been a complete joke

My biggest customer were using DHL... then DHL said they couldn't do it... then they said it would have to go to their hub in Belgium before it could cross to the UK.

Then they've said this is a mistake and that I need to complete new paperwork to take it to the UK direct from Dublin!! I completed that yesterday so just waiting on them to inform me of collection hopefully today!

restorepride

Poots is some boy.  Emerging finally that he made "the request" for Larne staff to be stood down.   Then stood down himself the same evening.  Probably God told him to do both.

marty34

Quote from: restorepride on February 04, 2021, 01:04:35 PM
Poots is some boy.  Emerging finally that he made "the request" for Larne staff to be stood down.   Then stood down himself the same evening.  Probably God told him to do both.

Yeah, seems he made the decision himself.

Did Harbour Agency say last night there was no threat?

Then Poots steps aside - very convenient as his last act.

You'd nearly think it was planned!

johnnycool

Quote from: screenexile on February 04, 2021, 11:41:26 AM

My biggest customer were using DHL... then DHL said they couldn't do it... then they said it would have to go to their hub in Belgium before it could cross to the UK.

Then they've said this is a mistake and that I need to complete new paperwork to take it to the UK direct from Dublin!! I completed that yesterday so just waiting on them to inform me of collection hopefully today!

Fedex have been delivering stuff into us from a UK supplier this last week, a day longer than usual due to a backlog at the ports they said but no real issues.

Our supplier did say that some of the smaller couriers wouldn't ship to NI, "till the mess was sorted out"

Arlene will have it sorted shortly cause Boris said so.

Rossfan

Quote from: marty34 on February 04, 2021, 01:44:23 PM
Quote from: restorepride on February 04, 2021, 01:04:35 PM

Yeah, seems he made the decision himself.

Did Harbour Agency say last night there was no threat?

Then Poots steps aside - very convenient as his last act.

You'd nearly think it was planned!
All orchestrated by DUPUDA!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on February 04, 2021, 02:24:29 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 04, 2021, 11:41:26 AM

Fedex have been delivering stuff into us from a UK supplier this last week, a day longer than usual due to a backlog at the ports they said but no real issues.

Our supplier did say that some of the smaller couriers wouldn't ship to NI, "till the mess was sorted out"

Arlene will have it sorted shortly cause Boris said so.

All our packages are dealt with by UPS, online deliveries was going great up to the start of Jan, the first indication we got was the online line shipping website, it didn't recognise NI  and they had a day or two sorting that out, then the drop down menu had Northern Ireland put into it (wherever that is ;D ) anyways that was good, it able us to then print off packing slip, but then trying to order a pick up was not working.

We are lucky in that the driver whom we use gave us his number and we phone him and he's there at some point during the day tp do a collection

I'd say we are a couple of days out of the normal time frame for orders be delivered, which at the minute isn't too much of a problem

As for the client I know, she's adamant that all her customers were given clear instructions on what paperwork was required, though as someone said, it was so late in the day that these things could have been fucked up.

As for loyalist threats, who are they going to fight with? Boris?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea