Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Really interesting to see where this ends up.

If the threat of violence and intimidation causes the Protocol to be practically unworkable because the checks that need to be done can't be done then, given this is Northern Ireland, you would have to say that the entire Protocol is built on very shaky foundations.

I'm struggling to see what the eventual outcome is here.
Say the Protocol gets binned, what happens then?  A border on the island Ireland.
Guess what will happen then?

Presumably the EU can't just let goods go through without doing the checks?  And if things do back up then it works into Ian Paisley Jr's hands of "Invoke Article 16" as it is adversely effect trading between GB and NI.
But what is the alternative to the Protocol?

lenny

Quote from: Smokin Joe on February 02, 2021, 12:55:43 PM
Really interesting to see where this ends up.

If the threat of violence and intimidation causes the Protocol to be practically unworkable because the checks that need to be done can't be done then, given this is Northern Ireland, you would have to say that the entire Protocol is built on very shaky foundations.

I'm struggling to see what the eventual outcome is here.
Say the Protocol gets binned, what happens then?  A border on the island Ireland.
Guess what will happen then?

Presumably the EU can't just let goods go through without doing the checks?  And if things do back up then it works into Ian Paisley Jr's hands of "Invoke Article 16" as it is adversely effect trading between GB and NI.
But what is the alternative to the Protocol?

Move the goods through Dublin. More expensive but it gets moved.

Estimator

Could the checks take place before they leave the GB ports? You'd still have the same delays just no infrastructure here. Can't see Gove/Johnson invoking Art 16, as that could trigger many other issues with the EU. Plus they don't need the DUP, and I'm sure they haven't forgotten Arlene's 'naughty step' comment.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Angelo

Who is driving the graffiti campaign. It's very coordinated.

Bryson? Loyalist paramilitaries?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

trailer

Quote from: Estimator on February 02, 2021, 01:07:27 PM
Could the checks take place before they leave the GB ports? You'd still have the same delays just no infrastructure here. Can't see Gove/Johnson invoking Art 16, as that could trigger many other issues with the EU. Plus they don't need the DUP, and I'm sure they haven't forgotten Arlene's 'naughty step' comment.

Checks taking place in GB ports would require a change of EU law and the British Gov would need to be comfortable with EU customs in GB ports. Not really "Brexit means Brexit"
The GB - Dublin - NI idea is worse. Checks at Dublin were taking days last time I talked to anyone mental enough to ship goods that road. That Holyhead - Dublin route has all but evaporated. Angelsey which voted to Leave have been hit particularly hard by this.

general_lee

Quote from: Angelo on February 02, 2021, 01:11:49 PM

Noticed that myself on twitter some people are pointing out similarities, seems to be an individual or two at most. This seems to be the beginning of their civil disobedience, heard that the lorry attack at Larne was loyalists also

pbat

I assumed that was Loyalists that targeted that lorry which that poor man lost his eye. I wonder had the lorry a name on it or anyway that identified it as probably been driven by a catholic.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: general_lee on February 02, 2021, 02:01:23 PM

Noticed that myself on twitter some people are pointing out similarities, seems to be an individual or two at most. This seems to be the beginning of their civil disobedience, heard that the lorry attack at Larne was loyalists also

Most of them are in the same hand/spraycan writing ffs

general_lee

Quote from: pbat on February 02, 2021, 02:11:28 PM
I assumed that was Loyalists that targeted that lorry which that poor man lost his eye. I wonder had the lorry a name on it or anyway that identified it as probably been driven by a catholic.
Think it was meant to just damage the lorry, as a protest to the sea border, but it was just carrying parcels afaik

Main Street

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on February 02, 2021, 02:25:55 PM
Quote from: general_lee on February 02, 2021, 02:01:23 PM

Most of them are in the same hand/spraycan writing ffs
A spray can is a lethal weapon in NI, when used it's headline news all over and everybody runs for cover.

tonto1888

Quote from: Estimator on February 02, 2021, 01:07:27 PM

Most checks are documentary and they are still happening

Rossfan

Hmmmmm.....
A couple of bits of graffiti....
DUPUDA Minister and DUPUDA dominated Council say it's not safe for staff to work so take them off the job....
DUPUDA hope Johnson and EU will drop "NI Protocol"....

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

pbat

Your wonder is there no serious political thinkers behind the scenes within the DUP, again reaching down to appease the knuckle draggers when polling shows its the moderate unionists they are losing in droves to the Alliance. They are the voters going to have the big influence in the border poll. Baffling.

armaghniac

Quote from: pbat on February 02, 2021, 07:04:16 PM
Your wonder is there no serious political thinkers behind the scenes within the DUP, again reaching down to appease the knuckle draggers when polling shows its the moderate unionists they are losing in droves to the Alliance. They are the voters going to have the big influence in the border poll. Baffling.

Dodds was one of the few with the intelligence to devise a strategy, but for his own reasons he led them into this mess. Simon Hamilton left. There is a suggestion that Peter Robinson (who had a clue) is backing his namesake Gavin Robinson to challenge things a bit.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

A crowd of hooded UVF men congregated earlier in East Belfast, PSNI of course sent half a dozen of their men to go and watch