Gaelic football informational video - help needed with translation

Started by Eamonnca1, August 24, 2010, 01:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzz

Can get it translated into a few different languages - let me know if you need any of the following:

French
Spanish
Dutch
Italian
German
Arabic
Estonian
Danish
Finnish
Nordiac
Chinese
Swedish
Turkish
Russian
Polish
Flemish

There might be a few more but off the top of my head thats what I have access to.

Eamonnca1

Your suggestions have merit, Zulu.  I was actually careful to get in a few scenes that show the big crowds in the background so that first-time viewers of the sport can see that it is big somewhere.

As for getting kids into the shot, maybe I'll do that in a more youth-oriented movie. The purpose of this film is to let the viewer know that the game exists, that it is popular in at least one country, and to show the basics of how the game is played. It's pitched at more of an adult demographic, but I think kids would get excited by it too.

I plan to crank out a few more versions of this sort of film, I've made a 15-second one for hurling, for example.  I plan to make 15-second spots and 30-second spots for online advertising purposes.  We're actually working on a bit of a GAA marketing plan here for the US, and online video advertising will likely be a major part of that.

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Muzz on September 02, 2010, 06:09:47 PM
Can get it translated into a few different languages - let me know if you need any of the following:

French
Spanish
Dutch
Italian
German
Arabic
Estonian
Danish
Finnish
Nordiac
Chinese
Swedish
Turkish
Russian
Polish
Flemish

There might be a few more but off the top of my head thats what I have access to.
Jesus!  How do you have access to all them?

Muzz

Work in a call centre that supports multi languages.

Let me know if you need any of them languages and I will get the full list of languages supported.

Eamonnca1

You can get the translations done manually, right? I don't trust translation software...

Eamonnca1

OK, well I've got Swedish, Danish and Spanish covered. If you can get the rest done that'd be great. Thanks.

Eamonnca1

Here's the hurling captions if you want to have a go at them too.  Languages covered already:

Danish
Dutch
French
German
Polish
Russian
Spanish

• The skills of Lacrosse
  • + The skills of baseball
  • + the skills of hockey
  • + an axe-shaped stick
  • + 3000 years of sporting heritage
  • = Hurling
  • The fastest game on grass
  • Catch the ball in the air
  • Scoop the ball up with your stick
  • Carry the ball in hand for 3 steps...
  • ... Then balance it on the stick
  • Strike the ball from you hand
  • Strike the ball on the ground
  • Strike the ball with your hand
  • Shoot over the crossbar for 1 point (be careful what word you use for 'shoot', make sure it's not exclusively used for guns. Maybe just 'put' would be the better verb?)
  • Shoot into the net for 3 points
  • Block his stick from the front
  • 'Hook' his stick from behind (you might want to say 'deflect' or 'divert' instead of 'hook')
  • Above all...
  • ...Be brave

Eamonnca1

You might like this.  From my Danish friend:

> It's the "hook his stick from behind" that's the troublesome one...so if
you
> can express that in a different way in English, maybe I can think of
> something.
>
> The problem is that the word "stick" is perfectly easy to translate, as
> Danes use the same word for hockey stick or ski pole, and the word is
> "stav". The issue is that "stav" (as in the sports equipment) is slang for
> penis. Hence, if penis is inferred, and it is a guys sport, and there is
> anything hinting at "behind" then it's a lost cause :) I will ask around
or
> see if I can think of something.

Eamonnca1

Denn Forever

Do/Did Setanta not show Cumann na bunscoil games and are these not played in CP?

And as they say around Cavan, Fair F**ks to you Eamonn.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Eamonnca1

Had to take down the Spanish version because of a mistranslation, new version is here.

Setanta?  Them boys only showed the AI championships as far as I know, and I think they're out of business now.

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1