Hurling championship 2021

Started by seafoid, April 27, 2021, 09:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

It's only the League but a tidy win over Limerick for Galway.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on May 16, 2021, 05:24:43 PM
It's only the League but a tidy win over Limerick for Galway.

Didn't looked too pushed either.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

didlyi

Start with the hurley makers and let the gaa do random checks. Would Ping or titleist make oversized golf clubs if they were illegal? It would not a difficult thing to regulate if there was a will.

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2021, 07:32:14 PM
Quote from: didlyi on May 15, 2021, 07:13:58 PM
No its not being checked. Why not?

Who should check it?

Sure they can't even check that faceguards haven't been tampered with, bars removed etc etc and that's a health and safety issue!

Lost count of the number of lads on TV over the weekend with illegal face guards.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/evan-niland-the-star-as-galway-end-limerick-s-unbeaten-run-1.4566848

That Niland was given so many chances to do damage incensed Limerick manager John Kiely, who had protested the number of frees awarded in the opening match against Tipperary and again this weekend he was unhappy with a free count that broke nearly two to one against his side.
"It does appear that the game has changed in the last four months whilst we've all been at home and somebody has decided to take the tackle out of the game. I'd love to know who they were and when that was decided.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2021, 09:03:41 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/evan-niland-the-star-as-galway-end-limerick-s-unbeaten-run-1.4566848

That Niland was given so many chances to do damage incensed Limerick manager John Kiely, who had protested the number of frees awarded in the opening match against Tipperary and again this weekend he was unhappy with a free count that broke nearly two to one against his side.
"It does appear that the game has changed in the last four months whilst we've all been at home and somebody has decided to take the tackle out of the game. I'd love to know who they were and when that was decided.

Tackle in one thing and is still there, but throwing your arms around an opponent should always have been a free and if they start refereeing that properly it'll be a positive for the game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on May 17, 2021, 09:12:00 AM

Tackle in one thing and is still there, but throwing your arms around an opponent should always have been a free and if they start refereeing that properly it'll be a positive for the game.

Play on the edge, they need to rein in some of their tackles and they'll be fine

Dag Dog

There seems to be a media campaign starting up against Limerick in the last few weeks.
We nearly should have expected what happened with the ref yesterday.

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 17, 2021, 09:18:22 AM

Play on the edge, they need to rein in some of their tackles and they'll be fine
Like the great Kilkenny team before them they also played on the edge and heck beyond it as well but the Kilkenny lads had a better media game pushing the manly game and let it flow.
If Tommy Walsh is breaking the hurl off a Wexford lads leg whose just after getting the run on him, it's a red even if it is Tommy Walsh. Ger Hegarty wallops Joe Canning in the back, nowhere near hooking or block him, it's a red.

I'm not anti Limerick, far from it as I'm glad they've arrived on the scene in a big way, but last weekend one of the Tipp midfielders went on a run and was being fairly harried by three Limerick lads only for one to chop down over the lads shoulder, nowhere near the ball. He'd no need to do it as the Tipp lad had run out of road.

I'd expect Kiely and Kinnerk to fine tune their tackling technique as they're not stupid men..

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on May 17, 2021, 10:42:06 AM

Like the great Kilkenny team before them they also played on the edge and heck beyond it as well but the Kilkenny lads had a better media game pushing the manly game and let it flow.
If Tommy Walsh is breaking the hurl off a Wexford lads leg whose just after getting the run on him, it's a red even if it is Tommy Walsh. Ger Hegarty wallops Joe Canning in the back, nowhere near hooking or block him, it's a red.

I'm not anti Limerick, far from it as I'm glad they've arrived on the scene in a big way, but last weekend one of the Tipp midfielders went on a run and was being fairly harried by three Limerick lads only for one to chop down over the lads shoulder, nowhere near the ball. He'd no need to do it as the Tipp lad had run out of road.

I'd expect Kiely and Kinnerk to fine tune their tackling technique as they're not stupid men..
At the highest level freetaking is an art and will punish regular fouling

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2021, 01:06:39 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 17, 2021, 10:42:06 AM

At the highest level freetaking is an art and will punish regular fouling

It is and it may well be Limericks downfall if they don't address it.

It's not always the referees fault that the game is stop start.

Milltown Row2

Its never the referee's fault  ;D

didlyi

Quote from: johnnycool on May 17, 2021, 08:59:34 AM

Who should check it?

Sure they can't even check that faceguards haven't been tampered with, bars removed etc etc and that's a health and safety issue!

Lost count of the number of lads on TV over the weekend with illegal face guards.

Point taken but if you can tamper with the dimensions of a made hurl then fair play to you. As I said if theres a will....

johnnycool

Quote from: didlyi on May 17, 2021, 04:17:13 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 17, 2021, 08:59:34 AM

Who should check it?

Point taken but if you can tamper with the dimensions of a made hurl then fair play to you. As I said if theres a will....

to a point. Most lads will have done a bit of experimenting with hurls of some sort but the big bas hurls the O'Connors of Cork used to make haven't really taken off to any great extent. Some lads have them but a lot have their traditional style hurls, maybe a bit shorter to get a shot off in a crowd but nothing untoward.
The sliotars, though really need changed.