Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 27, 2022, 05:45:45 PM
Quote from: Spike on September 27, 2022, 04:08:48 PM
we haven't any
Of all the dual clubs there are in Ireland. There are 9 who are still in their respective county championships at senior level.
I'm not really sure that is telling you what you want it to. But tear on by all means.

This is quite sad.   Defensive about dual.clubs, cheeky, and not reading that I said it wasn't my note but another persons.   Someone is catfishing during the referees ban on social media methinks.

Spike

we haven't any
Of all the dual clubs there are in Ireland. There are 9 who are still in their respective county championships at senior level.
I'm not really sure that is telling you what you want it to. But tear on by all means.

But it tells me in a 32 county all ireland there is somewhere approximately a quarter of all counties where a dual.club is competitive at both codes.   Not bad for the supposedly impossible achievement that some in Antrim would have you believe. As usual, short cuts and excuses

wolfofwhitehall

Hearing the ref for senior county final gonna be conall roberts st johns

JimStynes

Quote from: wolfofwhitehall on September 27, 2022, 10:22:20 PM

Where did you hear that, Wolf?

wolfofwhitehall

Lár na páirce 1

Quote from: wolfofwhitehall on September 27, 2022, 10:22:20 PM

If this is accurate I am sure he will do a good job

paddyjohn

Good young ref. He'll be ok.

Spike

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 28, 2022, 06:14:48 AM
Quote from: Spike on September 27, 2022, 09:43:27 PM
we haven't any

But it tells me in a 32 county all ireland there is somewhere approximately a quarter of all counties where a dual.club is competitive at both codes.   Not bad for the supposedly impossible achievement that some in Antrim would have you believe. As usual, short cuts and excuses
I don't believe that anyone said that it is impossible. Just that it can be difficult. As you point out, that appears to be the case in 3/4 of the counties in Ireland.
Regardless, your championing of the dual club is to be admired. The promotion of our national games is what it is all about. No doubt you raise this with your own club regularly.

I certainly do believe every club should provide both codes for both genders. The  impediments to this appear to be lack of tradition, culture of either hurling/football and interest.  It then becomes a time and money issue for the county board/gaelfast in trying to create that tradition within said club. dropping a bag of footballs in loughgeil and coming back a year later is unlikely to foster that culture.    Suggestions welcome to address the issue.

MajorShields26

Will winners of Antrim SFC finally be able to make an impact on ulster and all Ireland series? If go out early again, underage coaching in clubs will have to come under scrutiny with inability to produce top players to play for clubs.

EOC1923

It wont be Cargin or Aghagallon coming under scrutiny anyway mate, consistently have strong underage teams and bringing players through. Strange take on it all if I do say so myself.

geezer

Barring St Galls, Antrim clubs havent gone too well in Ulster. Doesnt mean they are bad teams though. Creggan should have beaten Clann Eireann last year and Cargin had Gweedore on the ropes a few years ago in Corrigan.

Just look at Tyrone clubs, only 1 club ever has ever won Ulster (errigal). Didnt affect them too much at county level.

imtommygunn

Quote from: MajorShields26 on September 28, 2022, 10:55:30 AM
Will winners of Antrim SFC finally be able to make an impact on ulster and all Ireland series? If go out early again, underage coaching in clubs will have to come under scrutiny with inability to produce top players to play for clubs.

Here is an alternative take on that. Watching Cargin Creggan on saturday I don't believe our teams are "game savvy" enough and when it comes to ulster then the opposition are. If you watch analysis of the big counties etc you will see tactical fouling very far up the field. That did not happen on either side for me. I like not seeing it don't get me wrong but if you're in a close match with a team that does that then you will lose.

country bumpkin

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 28, 2022, 11:21:16 AM
Quote from: MajorShields26 on September 28, 2022, 10:55:30 AM

Here is an alternative take on that. Watching Cargin Creggan on saturday I don't believe our teams are "game savvy" enough and when it comes to ulster then the opposition are. If you watch analysis of the big counties etc you will see tactical fouling very far up the field. That did not happen on either side for me. I like not seeing it don't get me wrong but if you're in a close match with a team that does that then you will lose.

Have you really paid attention...?
Cargin had a number of 18 year olds on their panel with several having tasted senior championship action this year.
They have featured in the last four on the Minor championship trail in the past four seasons...and a few in the present under 17 side are certain seniors...

imtommygunn

Who me? I never mentioned underage at all.

Spike

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 28, 2022, 11:33:58 AM
I don't necessarily disagree with anything you say here but on one hand you accuse others of "excuses and shortcuts" and on the other......well......

i don't see a suggestion to address the situation. secondly i'm not sure you understand the point made and are being obtuse.