Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelEye

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on August 12, 2010, 12:12:31 AM
and to be fair any clonguisher i know would be against this type of shite.

its amazing the influence one particular individual can have....

I'd heard already that the Clonguish players didn't want this crap going on, but were ignored.

Just be thankful that the particular individual only has influence at club level and never gained control at county board level, or Slashers would already have been thrown out of the championship along with ourselves :P. (When I made the comment about "prospective barstool lawyers" earlier in the thread, it was this individual I had in mind.)

The latest word seems to be that the matter isn't being pursued; perhaps it dawned on people in Newtownforbes that having the current county champions try to force the smallest club in the county out of the championship by legal means might be counter-productive.

Barring a miracle on Sunday, Slashers will be dealing with this fun and games soon enough. I wish yis luck with it.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

Maybe we should just be thankful that none of the Swamp Critters ever went to law-school.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Their grandfathers did in 1946, but that's ancient history at this stage; the current generation seem content to win things on the field.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

I am hearing that the Clonguish whinge was dealt with quite firmly by the County Secretary in a strongly worded email.

Nice one!

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: LaurelEye on August 12, 2010, 09:16:02 AM
Quote from: The Forfeit Point on August 12, 2010, 12:12:31 AM
and to be fair any clonguisher i know would be against this type of shite.

its amazing the influence one particular individual can have....

I'd heard already that the Clonguish players didn't want this crap going on, but were ignored.

Just be thankful that the particular individual only has influence at club level and never gained control at county board level, or Slashers would already have been thrown out of the championship along with ourselves :P. (When I made the comment about "prospective barstool lawyers" earlier in the thread, it was this individual I had in mind.)

The latest word seems to be that the matter isn't being pursued; perhaps it dawned on people in Newtownforbes that having the current county champions try to force the smallest club in the county out of the championship by legal means might be counter-productive.

Barring a miracle on Sunday, Slashers will be dealing with this fun and games soon enough. I wish yis luck with it.

if ye play like ye did against killoe i believe ye have every chance of beating them.

we might have to shut up about this individual otherwise gaaboard could get shut down  :D

with the group stages practically over its hard to know how it is going to fair out. we are flying at the moment but i wont hold my breath, its typical slashers. dromard were anything but impressive for the majority of the game against drumlish. mcgee was the difference between the 2. if colmcille were to draw dromard i dont think they would have any fear of them so i dont think cashel should fear them either.

i think mostrim will surprise a few, lots of workers around the pitch and clinical up front too

LaurelEye

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on August 12, 2010, 05:09:31 PM
Quote from: LaurelEye on August 12, 2010, 09:16:02 AM

Or perhaps being publicly eviscerated by the county board through email softened their cough instead. Who knows?

Quoteif ye play like ye did against killoe i believe ye have every chance of beating them.

The problem is that we're going to be missing some from that first match through injury. The most I can say is that they threw the kitchen sink at us last Sunday and still couldn't dispose of us, but one point will be enough for them this coming Sunday. While I suspect most of Longford would be delighted to see us win after this week's capers, I can't see it happening.

Quotewe might have to shut up about this individual otherwise gaaboard could get shut down  :D

Hardly worse than accusing people of tarnishing the Connolly Cup "in pursuit of their own personal agenda or perhaps in enhancing their own ego". *cough*

Quotewith the group stages practically over its hard to know how it is going to fair out. we are flying at the moment but i wont hold my breath, its typical slashers.

I saw the latter half of your matches against Granard and Ballymahon. Yis looked good even if the opposition was weak. I missed the Mostrim match.

Quotedromard were anything but impressive for the majority of the game against drumlish. mcgee was the difference between the 2. if colmcille were to draw dromard i dont think they would have any fear of them so i dont think cashel should fear them either.

For the first twenty minutes of that game, I was starting to believe that Dromard were throwing the match and then they woke up. Drumlish collapsed in the second half after their goal. Dromard weren't hugely impressive but then they didn't really have to be. I'd still expect them to have enough for Cashel.

Quotei think mostrim will surprise a few, lots of workers around the pitch and clinical up front too

Haven't seen Mostrim yet at all so I'll take it as read.

North Longford

Quoteif colmcille were to draw dromard i dont think they would have any fear of them so i dont think cashel should fear them either
They would definitely fear them if they had to start with the team that played most of the game against Cashel and Dromard would beat them well.
Believe it or not through injury, retirement and emigration Colmcille were missing 10 of the players from the county final of less than 2 years ago. Don't think there is a club in the county could deal with that and still be thinking about winning championships.

LaurelEye

Little wonder the Reich were so anxious to get us thrown out.

gortnaleck

LaurelEye

Mullinalaghta 1-11 Clonguish 0-11*

*subject to appeals to the Leinster Council, DRA, High Court, Supreme Court, European Court of Human Rights, International War Crimes Tribunal, and United Federation of Planets Intergalactic Arbitration Board.

Shamrock Shore

Congrats to the Mullinyachta boys.

Well done.

The Forfeit Point

congratulations mullinalaghta...... for now  :P superb performance, not looknig forward to the quarter final...... if it ends up being mullinalaghta we play!  :D

LaurelEye

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on August 15, 2010, 09:04:49 PM
congratulations mullinalaghta...... for now  :P

We noticed the interested spectators in mufti... but those teak-tanned legs of a certain midfield pharmacist were a dead giveaway :P. I suppose one of the advantages of playing LD Law is that everyone else wants you to win :).

Quotesuperb performance, not looknig forward to the quarter final...... if it ends up being mullinalaghta we play! :D

There were rumours this evening at the Dromard-Cashel match of yet another appeal. God and J**** C***** alone knows on what grounds.

Possibly there may be some obscure clause of the 1898 Local Government Act that says that we're legally in Cavan. Maybe he's found a Kenyan birth certificate for one of our forwards. The mind boggles.

I still think Slashers will make it through to the semi-final.

LaurelEye

Someone should tell a well-known photographer that the match played this afternoon was not what he thought it was...

http://raydonlon.smugmug.com/2010/August-2010/15th-August-2010-Longford/13349751_pEBQe#970543936_pQzGW

LaurelEye

In other news....

Abbey apparently went to sleep in the second half yesterday evening and allowed Rathcline to sneak a draw (1-8 apiece).

Dromard obliterated Cashel 6-12 to 1-7.

Carrickedmond will play Legan in one Intermediate semi-final. Ballymore will have to wait to find out who they play in the other after Forgney objected to playing Killashee when the named referee didn't turn up and despite other referees being available, walked off and refused to play. There has been no confirmation of sightings of a Newtownforbes legal eagle in the Greater Ballymahon region, but he will, please God, be at a loose end after today.