Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Clonguish will win this one in my opinion.

North Longford

I'm not sure who'll win but its been a while since I watched a county final from a comfortable seat in the stand so looking forward to it!!!!!! :(
Laurel what sort of implosion happened against Granard. Couldn't believe the connollys beat yee till I saw the list of absentees....sounds a bit crazy?

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on September 10, 2009, 03:03:33 PM
Laurel what sort of implosion happened against Granard. Couldn't believe the connollys beat yee till I saw the list of absentees....sounds a bit crazy?

I'd have said the implosion began in the second half of the match against Colmcille and continued on from there. Psychological as much as physical.

A missing midfielder (due to injury) and a complete rearrangement of the team from what it had been during the year (full-backs playing at full-forward, etc.) in the Granard match made matters worse and then Pauric McGee the Wonder Ref put the tin lid on it.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

North Longford

McGee is a gem alright. Apparently he was involved in the Junior match abandonment between Killashee and Moydow as well.
The same man was responsible for the 6 month suspension of a Colmcille selector a few years ago. One of the most placid men you could ever meet and probably never booked in his 20 years playing football. The charge was physical assault... and as such I must have just physically assaulted my keyboard while typing this message!!!!

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on September 10, 2009, 03:46:10 PM
McGee is a gem alright. Apparently he was involved in the Junior match abandonment between Killashee and Moydow as well.

I believe the abandonment happened when a goalkeeper flattened a defender and was only issued with a yellow card.

QuoteThe same man was responsible for the 6 month suspension of a Colmcille selector a few years ago. One of the most placid men you could ever meet and probably never booked in his 20 years playing football. The charge was physical assault... and as such I must have just physically assaulted my keyboard while typing this message!!!!

Well, a female Mullinalaghta supporter was also named for verbal abuse but the charges were dropped after a statement from a neutral witness and a solicitor's letter so nothing would surprise me.

As far as I know, The Wonder Ref only restarted reffing matches in the last couple of years after being sidelined during an earlier era in the history of the GAC as then was.

That being said, our fellas should have had the wit to not give him an excuse to display his judgement.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

Bring back Wally, all is forgiven.   ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 11, 2009, 08:47:16 AM
Bring back Wally, all is forgiven.   ;)

Don't think Wally was ever in a situation where he'd need to be forgiven.

But bring back Malachy Scott ;)

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

drici

Highlights on TG4 some time during the GAA 2009 programme which starts at 8-00pm.

Shamrock Shore

Flake got horrid excited towards the end on Shannonside. Sounded a good game but not being there it's hard to tell.

Another dat out and a few bob extra for the County Board.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 14, 2009, 01:50:57 PM
Flake got horrid excited towards the end on Shannonside. Sounded a good game but not being there it's hard to tell.

Exciting in that it was always close - although some of the shooting was cat.

magpie seanie

Caught the end of the highlights on TG4 last night. Unusual scoring system ye have there in Longford. When I turned it on the team in green (Clonguish I assume) scored a penalty and the scorebaord had them 3 down. Then every time Dromard scored a point a point was added to the Clonguish score until Clonguish were a point ahead. Then Barden scored a point at the end to help Dromard draw level. Weird stuff altogether!!!!!!

Shamrock Shore

Seanie

If you thought the shooting/score board was bad you should see the spelling on the official program - esp the pen pics of the senior players:

One is a "solisitor" another is "Former Refief" as well as someone who works for "Longford County Councel".

It's available as a .pdf on the main site - which is also funny for the official statement on the side about "fake" photographers wandering around the place!

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 15, 2009, 06:15:50 PM
Seanie

If you thought the shooting/score board was bad you should see the spelling on the official program - esp the pen pics of the senior players:

One is a "solisitor" another is "Former Refief" as well as someone who works for "Longford County Councel".

I see the minor final was between "Cilloe Óg" and "Noamh Uinsionn". Sponsored by Tool Centre, which is probably appropriate enough.

QuoteIt's available as a .pdf on the main site - which is also funny for the official statement on the side about "fake" photographers wandering around the place!

Would the culprit for the spelling be the same as the person throwing a hissy fit over the photos?

To think that I paid €3 for that programme...

magpie seanie

That's bad stuff folks but bad spelling is becoming more the norm nowadays.

In the case I highlighted though it was TG4 who were culpable. Their score graphic had the teams mixed up and I was worried for a while that my gaeilge was a lot worse than I'd feared!