Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

QuoteThe only pity is that he doesn't play for the club whose grounds are two fields away from his house 

Or the parish where all his family are from ...  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 26, 2009, 09:08:09 AM
QuoteThe only pity is that he doesn't play for the club whose grounds are two fields away from his house 

Or the parish where all his family are from ...  :P

I think his mother might wish to have a conversation with you on that subject :)
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

LaurelEye

I see the big beasts of Longford football are getting their shooting boots into action these nights:

Colmcille 4-21 Seán Connollys 0-4
Dromard 3-20 Rathcline 1-6
Clonguish 4-14 Granard 1-10

Gulp.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Longfordian

jaysus ...thats a mother and father of a beating Connollys took of Colmcille ! ....long may it continue  ;)

We lost out to Ballymahon by 2pts ...gave away two soft goals which killed us ....

Laurel ...I see the  run continues unabaited !! ..impressive beating ye gave the windies ...nothing to fear come championship time if you continue to play as ye are

LaurelEye

Quote from: Longfordian on June 02, 2009, 01:41:49 PM
jaysus ...thats a mother and father of a beating Connollys took of Colmcille ! ....long may it continue  ;)

We lost out to Ballymahon by 2pts ...gave away two soft goals which killed us ....

Ballymahon against us were very well-organised but also very mouthy to the point of almost trying to intimidate the ref. It being Frank Toher, it didn't work, but it being Frank Toher, he didn't favour us as a result either.

QuoteLaurel ...I see the  run continues unabaited !! ..impressive beating ye gave the windies ...nothing to fear come championship time if you continue to play as ye are

The Windies didn't have Davis, but we eased off a bit towards the end of the first half (going from 8-1 up to 9-4 at half time) and took a while to get motoring in the second half. Solid but it's hard to know just how strong the Windies actually are at the moment.

I think we'll be more likely than not in the quarter-finals of the Leader Cup, and if we were in any other group, I'd be fairly confident of getting into the quarter-finals of the Championship. But we're up against it with both Dromard and Colmcille.

But that top-secret GM research institute in the depths of the Derrycassan woods is certainly paying its way ;)

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: LaurelEye on May 31, 2009, 02:46:34 AM
I see the big beasts of Longford football are getting their shooting boots into action these nights:

Gulp.
results like that make me think having 14 "senior" teams is a bit ridiculous, the likes of ballinalee would be struggling at junior level in dublin.

kicking 18 points is very impressive laureleye no matter the opposition, your group is going to be very hard to call. think it will be between ye and colmcille for 2nd spot. was hannify playing for drumlish?? need to get all the info  :P

LaurelEye

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on June 02, 2009, 03:09:07 PM
Quote from: LaurelEye on May 31, 2009, 02:46:34 AM

Gulp.
results like that make me think having 14 "senior" teams is a bit ridiculous, the likes of ballinalee would be struggling at junior level in dublin.

Ball are very hard hit by having nearly a dozen players in Australia or otherwise away for the year. They're hoping to have more of a squad for the relegation playoffs from what I'm told.

Quotekicking 18 points is very impressive laureleye no matter the opposition, your group is going to be very hard to call. think it will be between ye and colmcille for 2nd spot. was hannify playing for drumlish?? need to get all the info  :P

No Hannify or Davis.

Shamrock Shore

It would seem we are in a Leinster final.

The juniors - v Louth!

Auld Shore was on the Longford junior panel in 1953 when they did the business to get to a Leinster final but he got dropped when feckin bastarding students finished the Leaving and came on board as Johnny come latelys.

Auld Shore still bitter - 56 years later.

So, on that basis, I'm ooot!

North Longford

Talking to some of the lads, aparently the junior final has been upgraded from Pearse Park to Croke Park! Being played before the Dublin game. Delighted for one of our men who I reckon at this stage of his career never thought he'd be togging out in croker.

Shamrock Shore

Marvelllous news there North Longford.

Will revise my I'm oot to I'm in!

North Longford

Is the news likely to make auld shore even more bitter though?!!? Break it gently

Shamrock Shore

Ah he'll be fine.

Tis time to let it go at this stage I suppose.

He actually was a selector on the junior management team in 1992. I remember beating the Dubs in Parnell Park and then losing to Wexford in the semi in Pearse Park.

Longfordian

The taller red cousin told me yesterday morn ... he's over the moon about getting onto Croker ....! .. I was down at the semi final in our place I noticed your fella alright ...fair play to him ... the last time I saw him in the county colours was circa 1998 /99 around the same time ...... when yours turely used to warm the bench for Mr McCormack and Co ....

And onto Championship this weekend .....

We have our dearest neighbours in what promises to be a pulsating encounter in Slashers on Saturday evening  ;D , we are missing 8 first team starters due to J1's / Holidays and long term injuries ...so it will be a much weakened side , its that weak that Longfordian has been instructed to be home from the wedding of Mrs Ds daughter in time for training and no alcohol to pass him lips during the day !! .... hard to know how we will do given the time we will have out

wins for Abbey / Ballymahon and Slashers and Killoe in the other games I suspect

Billys Boots

QuoteDelighted for one of our men who I reckon at this stage of his career never thought he'd be togging out in croker.

Who is it NL?