Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 03, 2009, 11:29:33 PM
I see the Longford panel are off to Toulouse in a few week's time for some well earned r&r  :-\

Hopefully they don't come back 'toulouse' to Wickla.

Boom Boom

that is ridiculous!! makes my blood boil that a serious amount of money is being wasted at that carry on! people dont dip their hands in their pockets for longford gaa for the money to be wasted on these pointless trips! how about investing in proper coaching in the schools?

anyway, who is gonna stop abbeylara?? they are looking very good at the moment.
great win for mullinalaghta too, there is alot of talent there. im a big fan in particular of jj matthews think he is a class act altogether

LaurelEye

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on April 06, 2009, 04:36:36 PM
that is ridiculous!! makes my blood boil that a serious amount of money is being wasted at that carry on! people dont dip their hands in their pockets for longford gaa for the money to be wasted on these pointless trips! how about investing in proper coaching in the schools?

Well, if there's a good performance in the championship it might be forgotten about. If not....

Quoteanyway, who is gonna stop abbeylara?? they are looking very good at the moment.
great win for mullinalaghta too, there is alot of talent there. im a big fan in particular of jj matthews think he is a class act altogether

I think the first thing you ask is the €64million question of 2009. I'm finding it very hard at the moment to look beyond them for this year's Connolly Cup.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Superstar

Sorry to hijack youre thread lads, but here goes:

Hi there folks,

With the championship just around the corner, from now on in you will see various fantasy football competitions springing up, myself and a few other memebrs of our club have taken it upon ourselves to run a competition of our own as a fundraiser. Hopefully we will get alot of interest in it, weve kept the entry fee reasonably low, its a pretty straight forward competition, all the rules, scoring chart, and player lists ect can be found on our website, so why not have a nosey at it. I hope when you are deciding upon which of the competitions available to enter you will give us a thought, we may not have a flashy website with all the graphics, but in entering this competition, you will be supporting one of youre very own clubs. If you have any queries about the competition you can email me at clannnabanna@hotmail.co.uk

To view the competition just log on to clannnabanna.down.gaa.ie and click on the competitions link

Many thanks, i hope we can look forward to youre support.
If it wasnt for this auld knee injury...........

drici

Came across this team( in a programme) which may be even older than the Longford posters on the Board.

Croke Park
                                                                1st November 1987
                                                        Colleges Final (International Rules)

Coláiste Naomh Mel

Raymond McMahon

Cormac Cashin                           Pádraig Farrell                         Oliver Kyne

Donal Smyth                             Dermot O'Reilly                      Barry McGuire

Luke Dolan                                Thomas McGuinness

Leonard Dolan                           Paul Victory                           Enda Flynn

Paul Neary                                Colin McGlynn                         Paul Leavy

Fir Ionaid: Eoghan Donlon   Brendan Dee   Seán Killian   Garrett McWeeney   Paul Shanley

Shamrock Shore

Certainly not Drici. Recognise a good few names on that. Some, if not all, were all Ireland colleges medal winners.

Billys Boots

Ouch, they were all younger than me (and Shamrock Shore, though he doesn't admit it) in school.  Paul Victory was to be the next big name in Longford football at one point!!  Luke Dolan played for Roscommon at some point (or was it Westmeath, he's one of the Dolan mob anyway), and Colin McGlynn played for Laythrum.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

I am happy to admit my age Billy. 33 in old money.

Anyhoo any of ye hoors off to the Longford day in Punchestown? I've caged a ticket and a lift so I'll be there. If I bet on a horse make sure ye bet on some other nag cos I have no clue when it come to the horses.

Hope I don't get caught by Kodakman!

Gold

Who's gonna win Longford's Got Talent?
I like the look of Veronica!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

LaurelEye

Quote from: Gold on April 29, 2009, 04:22:01 PM
Who's gonna win Longford's Got Talent?
I like the look of Veronica!

Good to hear it.

Now, should we call her up as:

a) Team management,
b) Team selector,
c) County Board official, or
d) Give her a run out as full-back for the qualifiers?
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

It being recessionary times she can do the lot.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Hopefully for a good deal less per week than the current incumbents.

AZOffaly

Hard luck yesterday lads. I thought ye showed a good bit of spirit in fairness. Yer forward line (inside) was shocking though. The Bardens were poor, and Kevin Mulligan is very reluctant to shoot or make runs. He actually looks like he'd prefer to be a playmaking centre forward. I know ye moved them around a bit, but only very brief flashes by Kavanagh looked dangerous. That Berry lad is a little legend though. Ran all day, and got the goal he deserved.

LaurelEye

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2009, 10:53:35 AM
Hard luck yesterday lads. I thought ye showed a good bit of spirit in fairness. Yer forward line (inside) was shocking though. The Bardens were poor, and Kevin Mulligan is very reluctant to shoot or make runs. He actually looks like he'd prefer to be a playmaking centre forward.

Well, that is what he is at club level, so it makes sense.

Thanks, AZ. Disappointed but not at all surprised with the result. I can't see us having a long run in the qualifiers - unless we get Westmeath in the first round  ;)

AZOffaly

Quote from: LaurelEye on May 25, 2009, 12:06:37 PM
Hard luck yesterday lads. I thought ye showed a good bit of spirit in fairness. Yer forward line (inside) was shocking though. The Bardens were poor, and Kevin Mulligan is very reluctant to shoot or make runs. He actually looks like he'd prefer to be a playmaking centre forward.

Thanks, AZ. Disappointed but not at all surprised with the result. I can't see us having a long run in the qualifiers - unless we get Westmeath in the first round  ;)

Ye might get us. That'd be some titanic clash.

LaurelEye

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2009, 12:12:51 PM
Quote from: LaurelEye on May 25, 2009, 12:06:37 PM

Ye might get us. That'd be some titanic clash.

We should all be careful what we wish for...  :D

On your earlier post, I've always been very impressed with Berry. Back in 2006, I thought he was the outstanding player of that year's championship campaign. He mightn't have got the plaudits or the recognition that Kavanagh got at the time, but he was a sterling worker in every match and without him a lot of the chances that were successfully taken wouldn't have arisen.

The only pity is that he doesn't play for the club whose grounds are two fields away from his house  ;D