Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on December 08, 2008, 04:24:54 PM
Serious achievement by Dromard because I honestly don't believe they have that many brilliant individuals on any of the 4 teams but they always come up with a very strong team where each individual is working for the good of the team.
Wasn't impressed with them at all in the semi against our amalgamation (which wasn't particularly strong) but they worked hard enough to win the game. They come out against a stronger Mostrim side and still manage to pull it off.
Mimnagh by the way is overage for the county.

The one plus for D'Amalgamation - apart from the fact that we could have won that semi-final if we'd been a bit tighter at the back in the first half or if a couple of open goals weren't missed in the second - is that nearly all the players who were available this year (or maybe all of them) are under age for next year as well. We have a couple who will have gone over-age but who were out injured this year.

This assumes, of course, that the Drumlish motion to restrict under-21 amalgamations to two clubs doesn't go through. Hopefully we might all live long enough for Bridie Fitzmaurice to have another go at "Mullinalaghta the arsehole of nowhere" in next year's championship :)
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

QuoteHopefully we might all live long enough for Bridie Fitzmaurice to have another go at "Mullinalaghta the arsehole of nowhere" in next year's championship

Niiiice.  Good to see our representatives are behaving to their usual standards.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 10, 2008, 09:13:33 AM
QuoteHopefully we might all live long enough for Bridie Fitzmaurice to have another go at "Mullinalaghta the arsehole of nowhere" in next year's championship

Niiiice.  Good to see our representatives are behaving to their usual standards.

Bridie is more properly termed a mascot than a representative :) She provided us all with great amusement in the stand at the semi-final, particularly as all the insults at Mullinalaghta's honour were being directed at Connollys supporters...
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: LaurelEye on December 09, 2008, 02:53:50 PM
Quote from: North Longford on December 08, 2008, 04:24:54 PM
Serious achievement by Dromard because I honestly don't believe they have that many brilliant individuals on any of the 4 teams but they always come up with a very strong team where each individual is working for the good of the team.
Wasn't impressed with them at all in the semi against our amalgamation (which wasn't particularly strong) but they worked hard enough to win the game. They come out against a stronger Mostrim side and still manage to pull it off.
Mimnagh by the way is overage for the county.

The one plus for D'Amalgamation - apart from the fact that we could have won that semi-final if we'd been a bit tighter at the back in the first half or if a couple of open goals weren't missed in the second - is that nearly all the players who were available this year (or maybe all of them) are under age for next year as well. We have a couple who will have gone over-age but who were out injured this year.

This assumes, of course, that the Drumlish motion to restrict under-21 amalgamations to two clubs doesn't go through. Hopefully we might all live long enough for Bridie Fitzmaurice to have another go at "Mullinalaghta the arsehole of nowhere" in next year's championship :)

i would expect ye to win it next year if thats the case as ye were very close to beating dromard in the semi! i would expect that motion to carry as there seemed to be alot of discontent from alot of different clubs over 3 senior teams amalgamated, well from what i heard in the stands whether thats anything to go by!!!

Billys Boots

Quotethere seemed to be alot of discontent from alot of different clubs over 3 senior teams amalgamated

That doesn't sound unreasonable, in fairness.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 10, 2008, 04:02:46 PM
Quotethere seemed to be alot of discontent from alot of different clubs over 3 senior teams amalgamated

That doesn't sound unreasonable, in fairness.

Given the way the economy is going, you might have to be combining more than 3 in a couple of years to get a full 15.

Shamrock Shore

HAppy Christmas from Longford GAA on-line:

"With the way things are in this country at the moment people should have more to be doing with their time than having cheap shots at people who put in a lot of effort and time to keep things going, yes every bodies views count but not the 'no named' hurlers on the ditch, to the other ten thousand plus Longford Gaels that log onto this website on a monthly basis THANK YOU and wherever you are in the World a very Happy Christmas, enjoy the holiday festivities and in what will be a year that many people face new challenges both on and off the playing fields a very Safe and Prosperous 2009"

Billys Boots

What's that all about?  Crayons out of the schoolbag there!!

Shamrock Shore

I wonder who pissed off Ray? Any of ye sarky hoors?

Not quite the rant of 3 years ago but a rant nonetheless!

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 11, 2008, 03:26:17 PM

There have been a lot of sharp comments lately on the H*g*nst*nd message board about the official Longford website concentrating on Slashers players' 21sts and going-away dos. I don't think anything in this little backwater would come to Crayonman's notice.

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 11, 2008, 03:26:17 PM

why what did he go on about then?? :D

Billys Boots

Was that when he was criticised for turning the county website into a cheerleading page for some schoolboys/girls team he was associated with?  Or was it the time when he wrote and 'editorial' piece slagging off a referee at a schoolboys/girls match? 

Shamrock Shore

Any cummint, boys and girls, on the €17,800 bad debt that has had to be written off for ticket monies that seemingly was never collected.
Tribune had a piece on it last Sunday but it hasn't really made headlines.

Nobody, of course, is to blame, as usual.

QuoteLongford reveal €17,800 loss in unpaid tickets
Gaelic Games News, Ewan MacKenna

Delegates at Longford GAA's county convention held last week heard that €17,800 had been written off in bad debts. Those in attendance were told the amount related to a range of outstanding monies owed to the county board, including sponsorship which had not been paid.

However, the Longford Leader reported that the figure actually accounted for unpaid ticket revenue for '06 and '07, which would translate to up to 200 tickets each year not being paid for. And there is a slightly smaller figure outstanding for tickets in the year under review but the board and its accountants are hopeful that this money is recoverable and was therefore not put down in the bad debt column.

Recently appointed county chairman Pat Cahill said "new measures will be put in place going forward and procedures will be put in place to tighten things," however some people at the convention were unhappy that there wasn't a full explanation given as to how such a problem arose.

"They seemed intent on saying very little on the subject," said one source close to the board. "They brought it up but were emphasising the record €180,000 surplus they had this year and the record amounts of money that had been going through the books. But how can you not pay for tickets, and it's a lot of tickets if you look at the debt involved. If anyone goes to a county board and asks for a ticket, you hand over cash, get your ticket and that's the end of it."

While the books have now been closed off on by the board's accountants, tensions remain high with another source claiming that the matter had become personal and that the raising of the matter was an attempt to hurt the Longford County Board's upcoming fundraising day in Punchestown.

Of course there is wild speculation on what the real story is here but this I will not go into here.

Billys Boots

Please tell me there are Swampies involved!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Billys Boots

Happy Christmas to all the Longford contingent here - there's snow in them there clouds.