Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 16, 2008, 11:32:26 AM
When are the 'backdoor' games scheduled Laureleye, are ye likely to have a good pop at it this year, or will ye be able to keep a full panel, with the draws of the cheap dollar?

The draw for them is next Sunday evening.

I don't expect any American departures, but our "impact" forward is getting married next weekend and will be away for a number of weeks on honeymoon.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

"Wins for Dromard, Slashers, Mostrim & Colmcille in Championship"

Note the deliberate mistake in Crayonland headline!   ::)  Come on Edgerstown!!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Billys Boots

QuoteHowever the visual components of the game are unlikely to trouble Ciaran Brady.

Can anyone translate the above Crayonese for me - I realise it's probably not Crayonman's expertise here, but he seems to have passed the mantle successfully.

North Longford

I think most of the reports on there now come from the Longford news school of journalism. Certificates in this can be obtained through doing a 5 minute course with a well known local photographer.
Think he's trying to say the lads aren't as good looking as Jack Charltons new team.

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on June 17, 2008, 11:34:00 AM
I think most of the reports on there now come from the Longford news school of journalism. Certificates in this can be obtained through doing a 5 minute course with a well known local photographer.
Think he's trying to say the lads aren't as good looking as Jack Charltons new team.

From the previews:

QuoteBallymahon v Ballymore, Pearse Park, June 22, 6pm

One would think an easy victory for Ballymahon should be on the cards, with Ballymore's efforts not helped through the unavailability of Bernard McElvaney, who is still "down under". Ballymahon playing divison one standard football should be playing a higher standard of football, although division two is very competitive this year.

Ballymahon will be relying on Mark Connor for the all important scores, where he will be assisstd by Trevor Smullen, who is also in charge of training his charges this year. County minor captain Kevin Diffley will be a severe loss to the south Longford club as he proven over the past two years that he is well capable of performing on the senior stage.

Damien Monaghan and Kenny Duffy will be the dangermen for the Ballymahon rearguard to mind while in defence Sean Donohue and John Brennan could be given the tricky task of watching Ballymahon's attacking force.

Ballymahon should have enough fire power to overcome their north Longford opponents with a few points to spare. Ballymore may be have a relegation battle on their hands as they may struggle without their county star.

It will be an impressive achievement for Damien Monaghan to be the dangerman for Ballymore - he's in Australia along with the two McElvaneys.

But then Derek Smyth was mentioned as being one of Abbey's main potential performers last week - in spite of the fact that he'd headed Stateside the previous week.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

QuoteTrevor Smullen, who is also in charge of training his charges this year.

I wonder will he instruct them to 'charge', as the famous Tom Donoghue once did, famously on a famous occasion.

North Longford

QuoteI think most of the reports on there now come from the Longford news school of journalism. Certificates in this can be obtained through doing a 5 minute course with a well known local photographer.

I'm aghast to say that on reviewing this weeks laeder the blame for this rubbish needs to be reapportioned to Padraig O'Briens understudy. Apologies to all those in the Longford News who I wrongly blamed.

Billys Boots

QuoteBrian Kavanagh who will be a seriously loss to the Ardagh club

A few gems in the previews alright this week.  ::)

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on June 19, 2008, 09:21:44 AM
QuoteI think most of the reports on there now come from the Longford news school of journalism. Certificates in this can be obtained through doing a 5 minute course with a well known local photographer.

I'm aghast to say that on reviewing this weeks laeder the blame for this rubbish needs to be reapportioned to Padraig O'Briens understudy. Apologies to all those in the Longford News who I wrongly blamed.

I wouldn't worry. I'm sure there are plenty of other atrocities that they have committed.

Billys Boots

I see there were no major surprises in Pearse Park this weekend - any craic?

How did Rathcline get two 'bites at the cherry', as they say?  They must be very, very poor indeed - does this mean they get no 'back-door' attempt?

North Longford

They do indeed. There is a preliminary round and its the second year ina row they were in it. The draws were made for second round proper and Qualifiers as follows

Round 2: Dromard v Clonguish, St. Mary's v Colmcille, Emmet Óg v Longford Slashers, Fr. Manning Gaels v Ballymahon

Qualifiers: Sean Connolly's a bye, Mostrim v St. Columba's, Abbeylara v St. Patrick's, Ballymore v Rathcline

Not sure how Conolly's manage to get a bye when Ratchline are on their 3rd game tho. Just don't remember anyone getting a bye before but could have been the case.

Nice to see another GAAboard derby in the pipeline.....nice bit of local rivalry also.

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on June 23, 2008, 10:05:45 AM
They do indeed. There is a preliminary round and its the second year ina row they were in it. The draws were made for second round proper and Qualifiers as follows

Round 2: Dromard v Clonguish, St. Mary's v Colmcille, Emmet Óg v Longford Slashers, Fr. Manning Gaels v Ballymahon

Qualifiers: Sean Connolly's a bye, Mostrim v St. Columba's, Abbeylara v St. Patrick's, Ballymore v Rathcline

Not sure how Conolly's manage to get a bye when Ratchline are on their 3rd game tho. Just don't remember anyone getting a bye before but could have been the case.

Nice to see another GAAboard derby in the pipeline.....nice bit of local rivalry also.

Only 7 teams in the qualifiers so someone had to get a bye. If Connollys lose their match against whatever second round loser they're drawn against, they go into the relegation playoffs though.

I don't think Rathcline will complain too much about the draw. If they can't beat a team that improved when its 43-year-old trainer brought himself on as a substitute last night, then they may as well go home.

Our main impact forward is off on his honeymoon for five weeks and I'm not sure how restrictive an attitude the county minor management will have in regard to players lining out with their clubs next weekend. Kevin Diffley played the whole match with Ballymahon last night and Michael Quinn came on as a sub for Killoe. Shane Mulligan will probably be able to play for the whole match though - no ill-effects after last Sunday. The Ankle, on the other hand, is unlikely to play. Overall, I wouldn't expect us to be any stronger, and possibly even a bit weaker than we were against ye.

Billys Boots

QuoteThere is a preliminary round and its the second year ina row they were in it.

Now this I don't understand - if there was a preliminary round (Rathcline -v- Swamp Dwellers), and the winner got into Round 2 (with the losers getting another whack at Round 1), then it couldn't really be described as a preliminary round, rather a 'preferred-loser' first round match.  I'm not sure if I was from Ballymore, Mullinalaghta, Edgytown, Connollys etc., I'd be very pleased about this.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 23, 2008, 11:35:01 AM
QuoteThere is a preliminary round and its the second year ina row they were in it.

Now this I don't understand - if there was a preliminary round (Rathcline -v- Swamp Dwellers), and the winner got into Round 2 (with the losers getting another whack at Round 1), then it couldn't really be described as a preliminary round, rather a 'preferred-loser' first round match.  I'm not sure if I was from Ballymore, Mullinalaghta, Edgytown, Connollys etc., I'd be very pleased about this.

Speaking personally, I'm more concerned about what happens if we don't win on Saturday evening. Anything else is academic...

Shamrock Shore

For old time's sake Laureleye a €5 bet.

i.e. if Mostim lose I will buy some Mullinaghta lotto tickets.

ergo the opposite.