Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

I'd say send down Biffo to ease himself into the Teashop's job.

What better way to face Inda and the mob across the floor than a face-to-face with the Clonguishes and their upset garsuns

Billys Boots

Quoteupset garsuns

I thought there was only one, though he'd create enough ruckus for ten.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

This deserves a wider readership on the main board......don't ye think? (i've changed nothing)

RACE DAY '08: What a day at the Races for all Longford Gaels

What a Day! What an occasion! What a special memory for all!

Six years ago Martin Skelly and Seamus Ross - two great Longford Gaels - came up with an idea of a cooperate day at the races and lets be honest nobody in their wildest dreams could of imagined that six years later it would be the biggest cooperate event in the country. Wednesday the 23rd April will go down in the Irish History Books as Bertie Ahern's last day in Dáil but in the History Books of Longford GAA it will go down as the biggest, best and most memorable fundraising event ever for Longford GAA.

From 10am in the morning "Punters" from Longford and indeed many corners of the world packed the Killashee House Pavilion for what was a whirlwind of top-class horsing racing and once again this year the day went off without one single problem and that is testament to Longford and Ireland's most famous referee, John Bannon for his attention to detail in organising the event while on the day there was so many people that played their part in making a day none of us will forget for a long time to come and on the day Ted and Ruby Walsh offered their expert advice while Colm Murray and Robbie Irwin of RTÉ Sports acted as MC's

On the day there was over 210 and tables and Longford County Board would like to sincerely thank who sold and indeed bought tickets and table and the various sponsors who put up fabulous prizes. Congratulations to Kathleen Pruny, who won the McNally Motors sponsored Toyota Yaris. And, finally, thanks to everybody who made the 6 Annual Flynn & O Flaherty Longford GAA Corporate Race Day a resounding success and the day's activities ended with Busy Fingers entertaining all. SEE YOU ALL NEXT!

AZOffaly

The grammar, or lack of it. The exclamation marks. The spelling. The readability. Sheer Genius. Or should I say 'Sheer Genus!!!!!'.? :D

Billys Boots

Shamrock Shore

I believe a peace deal has been struck whereby the Independent Republic of Clonguish and its rebel son have come back under the command of General Patricius Cahillous.

Expect the fruits of the negotiations to be on diplay on Sun week.

*move along now, nothing more to see here!*

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 25, 2008, 02:08:21 PMthat is testament to Longford and Ireland's most famous referee, John Bannon
Did anybody tell Pat McEneaney this? Or is there an 'in' missing there?

A strange article, clearly no proof-readers being employed in those parts!

btw SS, what's that Clonguish business all about?

Billys Boots

Quotebtw SS, what's that Clonguish business all about?

OMS, how do we put this without encouraging our neighbours? Hmmm.

Eh, there was a row, and eh, it was sorted out by a man more accustomed to starting than sorting.  And, eh, everything's, em, brilliant.  Will that do ye?

Shamrock Shore

OMS

One of the Clonguishes was taken off (unfairly in my opinion) in our game agin Down in the first half. After stewing on the bench he decided to "feck this", threw toys out of pram and headed to the dressing rooms. He then decided to leave the panel (being officially 'injured').

A few attempts at mediation ended up with a good few 'effs' and 'blinds' down the phone but sense has prevailed and the mercurial garsun will prob start agin Westmeath.

North Longford

Anyone know what the crack with the tickets for Sunday is.
Went down to the "Ticket" office yesterday and was told they had no stand tickets at all??? Was told the clubs would have some.
Spoke to the club secretary last night and she was told she was only being given 20 stand tickets??? One of the biggest clubs in the county only getting 20 stand tickets. Does anyone know how these are allocated. Surely the stand holds a few thousand people. How can the clubs only be getting 20 tickets for it?!?!?

mattockranger

hi lads

Just doin a bit of spying for our minors  ;D who play yous down in pearse park on saturday?
How do the players rate to other years?
and do yous see any potential stars? we heard through th grapevine that the full forward line has some excellent talent

the two sides have played a challenge against each other early on in the year with your boys coming out on top
you've defeated laois and so did we
i think it will be a tight affair and should be a thoroughly enjoyable one in excellent settings!
(very envious of the development of pearse park compared to our shambles)
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Shamrock Shore

NL

Auld Shore got the same guff. Rared up, effed and blinded and I believe that now, magically, a day later, myself, me brother and 3 chavvies are sorted.

Dunno what the story was. I assume the axis of power had done some sort of 'hold back' scheme for licks and others first and then released the remainder to the great unwashed.

Sorry Mattockranger - an exile so I am not in tune with the scene. The brother is well in there but the refixture suits cos of a star player has soccer committments as well and Sunday was a potential problem. God bless TV.

NL - as Billy is in France I hope to Jazes we pull off a miracle in a classic.

gortnaleck

Hey Laurel
What about a report on the minor game esp the Mullinalaghta boys

LaurelEye

Quote from: gortnaleck on May 12, 2008, 04:18:58 AM
Hey Laurel
What about a report on the minor game esp the Mullinalaghta boys

Summary of a summary - team didn't play as well as they did the previous day against Laois, but were still comfortable enough winners, which is what counts in the end. Best for Longford on the day were probably Michael Quinn from Killoe at full-forward and Leon Doherty from Slashers in the half-forward line. J.J. Matthews was good as a corner-forward and Paddy the Cooper's lad came on as a sub towards the end.

Next match is vs Meath in Navan on the 7th July.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

mattockranger

minors were average think meath will have two much power

the goal was the defining moment in the game
Gill and Quinn
stars for the future especially quinn if he stay away from ground ball
fair play to ya's hope yous go all the way to leinster

seperate question?}do ya's put alot into underage work down there? good pedigree there and steady supply of players over the years

[/quote] Best for Longford on the day were probably Michael Quinn from Killoe at full-forward and Leon Doherty from Slashers in the half-forward line. [/quote]
leon doherty was centre back??  poor and a showman really insensed us  (the visiting crowd) with his play acting
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital