Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Good man Billy - not an inch!

I see our threads favourite referee (apart from Wally) Eugene Murtagh got in trouble again yesterday by not playing extra time in the Vincents/Senchalstown Leinster QF.

Had the Dromard match not finished a draw after ET I wonder would the losers have had a case pointing towards the Longford clown in operation in Parnell Park?

Murtagh was unaware of the 'extra time' rule - the more cynical could say that this can join a rake of other rules the laddo knows nothing about.

Whose skeltons is he aware of - how does he get these games.

Billys Boots

I don't think most clubs in Longford have a major problem with Murtagh as a ref, in comparison to some of the alternatives.  And sure the rules are only incidental anyway. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

North Longford

I'd agree with Billy re. Murtagh. I had a dislike for him a couple of years ago but the closer you are to the thing he's actually one of the better ones.
Funny enough the ones that are on the intercounty scene are way ahead of the others. Bannon, Fahey, Murtagh, Dowler etc make far fewer mistakes than the likes of Frankie Toher, Rocky, Wally, Michael O'Brien, Hughie Reilly, Pat Corrigan etc. They are also more consistent from one game to the next. Some of the lower level gents seem to have split personalities.
I'd probably rate them Bannon, Murtagh, Fahey, Dowler and after that I don't want any of them near a whistle

North Longford

In Murtaghs defence there seems to be a general concensus from the Dromards on the Hogan stand that their ref didn't know extra time was to be played either. Not sure how they managed to end up playing it unless there was Leinster council officials present

Billys Boots

Are they making Moorefield go to Legga?

Shamrock Shore

Nah - Leinster games have to be in county grounds so it's either Pearse Park or Ballymahon.

They chose Pearse Park.

New County Chair will be either Brendan Gilmore or Pat Cahill.

Hobson's Choice?

Billys Boots

You have to admit that Cahill would be, ahem, 'interesting'!  I'm just picturing a gathering of august and noble administrators round a fireplace, sipping brandies and discussing the lastest Westmeath court-case, and in strolls the bould Pat.  Hmmm.

Shamrock Shore

Brendan Gilmore has withdrawn his name so our new Chairman the Carrickedmond's Pat Cahill.

Interesting times ahead to be sure - esp with these GPA boys swanning around.

Billys Boots

QuoteInteresting times ahead to be sure - esp with these GPA boys swanning around.

I'd be very interested in his relationship with one primadonna in particular.   ::)

Shamrock Shore

Of course if Longford go on strike will anyone notice  :-[

The more cynical of us may say that our strike began at throw-in in Mullingar in the Qualifiers................only the more cynical mind.

Let' see if we can do the 'Three-in-a-row' for the O'Byrne Bihhatimber.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 15, 2007, 08:58:35 AM
QuoteInteresting times ahead to be sure - esp with these GPA boys swanning around.

I'd be very interested in his relationship with one primadonna in particular.   ::)

Apropos of nothing, I see from the Ardagh notes in the Leader that Liam Keenan has replaced Damian Sheridan as county captain for the coming year.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 15, 2007, 01:27:20 PM
Of course if Longford go on strike will anyone notice  :-[

The more cynical of us may say that our strike began at throw-in in Mullingar in the Qualifiers................only the more cynical mind.

As I recall, Rowley said when interviewed on Shannonside after his resignation that the players weren't really interested in the qualifiers once they were out of Leinster.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

Dromard and Moorefield have to go to a third game.

Final score from Pearse Park after extra time:

Dromard 0-12
Moorefield 0-12

LaurelEye

Team of the Championship (according to HoganStand)

Damian Sheridan (Dromard); David Pettit (Dromard), Paddy McDonnell (Seán Connollys), Niall Vance (Dromard); Dermot Brady (Longford Slashers), Declan S Reilly ("C" surely?) (Colmcille), Donie Conefrey (Dromard); Enda Farrell (Colmcille), Noel Farrell (Colmcille); Jamesie Martin (Dromard), Adrian Dalton (Seán Connollys), Mark Smith (Longford Slashers); Kevin Mulligan (Mullinalaghta), Declan Farrell (Colmcille), Francis McGee (Dromard).

Nominations for Senior Player of the Year: Declan Reilly (assume it's "C" again), Francis McGee, Damian Sheridan
Nominations for Hurler of the year: Martin Coyle (Mostrim), Eoin Donnellan (Clonguish?), Joe O'Brien (Clonguish)
nominations for Intermediate Player of the Year: Gary Murphy (Kenagh), Kevin Mulligan, Conor McElligott (Mullinalaghta)
nominations for Junior Player of the Year: Joe Dempsey, Gerry Lynn (Mostrim), Nicholas Farrell (Ardagh)
Nominations for Ladies' Player of the Year: Marie Brady, Cliodhna McGowan, Ann-Marie Bratten

Get your votes in now...

Billys Boots

QuoteGet your votes in now...

Is there voting through Crayonland.com?  I can't be arsed to look.