Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

QuoteBTW, we had a few visitors from Colmcille later on in the night.

Glad to hear it - looking forward to the photos.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

Have the Swampies ere a hope in the Leinster club championship?

I think they play the winners of Wexford v Kildare away.

Curtains early methinks.

Longford clubs have a shite record in Leinster. A good Windies side in late 90s came close in semi final but a Podgie Davis bananna shot was signalled wide. It went to appeals etc but was over-ruled. I was at that game and, well, to be honest, it looked effing wide to me.

A Longford club has never reached the senior Leinster final. Can The Swampies alter this fact?

the ship

sorry to intrude but  why are they called the swampies?

Billys Boots

I dunno ship, I've no recollection of when/why it started, but their 'full' title is the Swamp Critters.  They've been called a lot of things, but they may have reacted badly to that particular one, and it stuck.  Maybe some of the other lads might have a better explanation.

the ship

just one more question are they not that popular?,  BTW have enjoyed immensely reading all the posts sometimes we get immersed in our own clubs and counties and forget that there is a whole world out there that have the very same hopes and fears about their clubs and counties,     

Billys Boots

Quoteare they not that popular?

That's putting it mildly.  They're on a charm-offensive at the moment - apparently they have tickets to sell.  ::)

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 15, 2007, 10:16:40 AM
I dunno ship, I've no recollection of when/why it started, but their 'full' title is the Swamp Critters.  They've been called a lot of things, but they may have reacted badly to that particular one, and it stuck.  Maybe some of the other lads might have a better explanation.

I seem to remember someone, once upon a time talking about a message board far far away that had a large and immature Dromard presence, asking why they didn't just shout to each other across the swamp...

As for the rest...

http://www.swampcritters.com/

They're unpopular at the moment (outside Colmcille where they have guaranteed unpopularity) because they're combining success with cockiness and allegations of off-colour behaviour on the field in the County final.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

QuoteI seem to remember someone, once upon a time

Was that me?

the ship

the article in the independent painted a completely different picture altogether.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 15, 2007, 03:28:16 PM
QuoteI seem to remember someone, once upon a time

Was that me?

Might have been...
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

LaurelEye

Quote from: the ship on October 15, 2007, 03:46:02 PM
the article in the independent painted a completely different picture altogether.

I find that articles in the Indo (and especially the Sindo) paint quare strange pictures...

I'm just giving reasons why they're not wildly popular elsewhere in the county. There was a good deal of goodwill towards them in 1999, when they won the first title in 53 years, but it's worn thin lately. Think of Clare hurlers...

Billys Boots

Quotethe article in the independent painted a completely different picture altogether.

As I said at the time, wasn't it strange that this article appeared in the paper very shortly after the team/club in question had a crisis meeting to work on a strategy to repair a (very) damaged reputation following the county final?

All I'll say is that half the article was reasonably accurate.

And, to add fuel to the conspiracy theory, this article isn't (and has never been) available on the independent website, though other articles from the same edition are still there.   ::)  ::)  ::)

North Longford

Ah leave the swampies alone will yee!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway anyone got any idea on changes to the county panel. Anyone new added, anyone gone. Heard a couple of new names from our club but haven't heard it from the horses mouths whether thay are actually going in or not. Also heard D Farrell isn't going in which is a pity the way he played all summer.

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on October 16, 2007, 01:06:02 PM
Ah leave the swampies alone will yee!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway anyone got any idea on changes to the county panel. Anyone new added, anyone gone. Heard a couple of new names from our club but haven't heard it from the horses mouths whether thay are actually going in or not. Also heard D Farrell isn't going in which is a pity the way he played all summer.

Haven't heard anything yet but will ask around.

The only obvious departures are Podgie Davis and Benny McElvaney, but those have been well-signalled - McElvaney is off to Oz in the next few days.

Billys Boots

QuoteAh leave the swampies alone will yee!!

Will you not be hoping for a full-on assault on Sunday next NL?  Is there a Layder Cup in us?