Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on August 18, 2009, 10:02:09 AM
Quote from: clarshack on August 18, 2009, 09:59:40 AM
Quote from: stpauls on August 17, 2009, 12:28:57 PM
Knowing is a great movie until the last half hour, then it becomes complete nonsense!! i enjoyed Iron Man, though i am a fairly big comic book fan, so it may not suit every one.

from the first few minutes it is obvious that it is going to end up about aliens. cant understand why people didnt see it coming. ???

Not everyone has seen the film, why do you feel the need to ruin it on others ::)

cos from what is being said about the film not many more people are going to watch it plus saying a film is about aliens is hardly spoiling it  ???

where do you stop? i'm sure there are people out there who still havent seen the sixth sense so is no one ever allowed to talk about it in case they spoil it for somebody?

knowing was out in the cinema a good while ago and must be out on dvd a few weeks now. what is a sufficient period of time to allow everyone to see it before commenting on it?

Bogball XV

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 12, 2009, 01:17:14 PM
Star Trek is a thrill ride from start to finish, im a big Star Wars fan and loved some of the Trek movies especially undiscovered, and first contact.

I went with a mate who hates spaceship movies as he calls them, but he enjoyed it. The story is fun and fast paced, one of girls on the bridge is super hot, great special effects aswell, how good were the actors playing spock and kirk, fair play. JJ Abrahams can do no wrong it seems.

Watched Pineapple express last night aswell, cracking show, ridiculus scenarios but hilarious stuff :D.
I thought pineapple express was one of the most boring 'comedies' i've ever seen, maybe i'm getting too old for that type of thing anymore, but i don't remember one mildly amusing moment.

Capt Pat

Quote from: clarshack on August 18, 2009, 10:17:50 AM
Knowing is a great movie until the last half hour, then it becomes complete nonsense!! i enjoyed Iron Man, though i am a fairly big comic book fan, so it may not suit every one.

from the first few minutes it is obvious that it is going to end up about aliens. cant understand why people didnt see it coming. ???

Not everyone has seen the film, why do you feel the need to ruin it on others ::)

cos from what is being said about the film not many more people are going to watch it plus saying a film is about aliens is hardly spoiling it  ???

where do you stop? i'm sure there are people out there who still havent seen the sixth sense so is no one ever allowed to talk about it in case they spoil it for somebody?

knowing was out in the cinema a good while ago and must be out on dvd a few weeks now. what is a sufficient period of time to allow everyone to see it before commenting on it?

Just a quick reminder that this is called the "Movie reccomendations" thread it is not called the "Give away the endings of movies" thread. So the trick to it is recomend a movie, say it is good or bad and move on. Feel free to disagree with someone about whether a movie is good or bad but do not give away the endings of movies.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: clarshack on August 18, 2009, 10:17:50 AM

What are you talking about?  You can comment and review a film without giving away important plot points.  The point of the thread is to reccomend films.  I don't care about Knowing, I don't plan on watching it anyway, but I don't want to come into this thread with the intention of reading about what others think of different films only to have the ending ruined for me.

Infact spoiling films goes against the whole point of the thread, which is to read about what films are worth watching.

Tony Baloney

*************NO SPOILERS HERE PLEASE*************

If you can't write about a movie without giving away the ending/the plot then you are a numbskull and should go ply your trade on Hoganstand.

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 18, 2009, 11:34:14 AM
Star Trek is a thrill ride from start to finish, im a big Star Wars fan and loved some of the Trek movies especially undiscovered, and first contact.

I went with a mate who hates spaceship movies as he calls them, but he enjoyed it. The story is fun and fast paced, one of girls on the bridge is super hot, great special effects aswell, how good were the actors playing spock and kirk, fair play. JJ Abrahams can do no wrong it seems.

Watched Pineapple express last night aswell, cracking show, ridiculus scenarios but hilarious stuff :D.
I thought pineapple express was one of the most boring 'comedies' i've ever seen, maybe i'm getting too old for that type of thing anymore, but i don't remember one mildly amusing moment.
Pineapple Express is a "There's no one-liners but we have Seth Rogen who can look funny without doing anything" movie. And it works! Everything him and James Franco do seems hilarious.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

tbrick18

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 18, 2009, 11:34:14 AM

I thought Pineapple Express was terrible too...and I agree with everyon on The knowing.
Been a while since i've seen a really good new film, though I dont get to the cinema too often.
Has anyone seen the 3rd Underworld film? Liked the first 2, but the fact that Kate Beckinsale isnt in the 3rd has put me off a bit.

Eastern_Pride

------------------------SPOILER----------ALERT---------------------------------

In Marley and Me they learn a lesson in the end.........
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Denn Forever

Went to The Ugly Truth last night. 

I don't think it was as good as The Proposal as it spent a long time setting things up but there some laugh out loud moments.

The best was the When Harry met Sally esque moment.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rois

Coco Avant Chanel - went to see it last Friday and for a foreign film I enjoyed it.  Rather girlie but very watchable. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Mesrine (Part 1): Killer Instinct

Great gangster movie, in French with subtitles; a lot of violence, but that only mirrors the reality of Mesrine's life. Some boyo he was.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 18, 2009, 03:59:50 PM
------------------------SPOILER----------ALERT---------------------------------

In Marley and Me they learn a lesson in the end.........

I wouldnt recommend it, not for the feight hearted...... :-\
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

na cleirigh

Went to see 'Time Travellers wife' the other night. It was ok. Sorry funny concept but there you go.

Also was made watch Mama Mia last night. PB cannot sing for a start. But it wasn't that bad of a film.
If you have nothing nice to type, type it anyway but be prepared for the on slaught

pintsofguinness

Quote from: na cleirigh on August 20, 2009, 04:05:30 PM
Went to see 'Time Travellers wife' the other night. It was ok. Sorry funny concept but there you go.

Also was made watch Mama Mia last night. PB cannot sing for a start. But it wasn't that bad of a film.
what? Ah I watched the first ten minutes and would slit my writs if I had to sit through the whole lot!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

na cleirigh

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 20, 2009, 04:07:15 PM
Quote from: na cleirigh on August 20, 2009, 04:05:30 PM

what? Ah I watched the first ten minutes and would slit my writs if I had to sit through the whole lot!

:D I was considering the worst film ever. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Think next film i'll be watching will be 17 again. Its got some good reviews on here.

If you have nothing nice to type, type it anyway but be prepared for the on slaught