Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longball

I watched couple of movies over the weekend:

One Missed Call- was average enough

The wrestler- i enjoyed this thought was good enough story line, what everyone else think of it?

Once- Watched it last nite, its the film with Glen Hansard as the busker in Dublin i thought it was very good. anyone else see it?
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Archie Mitchell

This one looks interesting.

Drinking road movie gets festival premier

By Barry McCaffrey
07/07/09

Heard the one about the three guys travelling from Belfast to Dublin, stopping at every pub along the way and making a film about it? The Old Road to Dublin, Ireland's first "drinking road movie" will get its premier at the Galway Fleadh Film Festival this weekend. Barry McCaffrey reports

FOR decades the journey from Belfast to Dublin on the old 'B' road could take anything up to four hours with tailbacks in Newry, dug-up roads in Dundalk and bottlenecks in Balbriggan.

However, new motorways and bypasses mean that the Belfast to Dublin journey time has now been cut in half.

But in the ever increasing frenzy to arrive everywhere in record time, many of the roadside pubs which were traditional pit-stops on the 104-mile journey have now become no more than a distant memory for motorists.

In an effort to retrace their misspent youth, radio DJ Joe Lindsay, computer technician Kris Kinnaird and psychiatric nurse David James decided to recreate the Belfast to Dublin journey stopping at every pub along the old 'B' road route.

"It would have been quicker to take the new high-speed motorway, but where is the fun in that?'' the film's director Vincent Kinnaird said.

"These days we all complain so much about having no time and now with the credit crunch we're all complaining that we haven't any money either.

"We wanted to find out if the soul of Irish society has really changed over the last 30 years.

"Has the Celtic Tiger ripped the heart out of the country or is it a myth that money can't buy happiness?"

"On the other hand, it could just be that we fancied harking back to the old days of stopping off for a pint in every pub along the road?

"It might have taken longer in those days but you ended up being the happiest person in the world by the time you made it too Dublin."

The trio, who were chauffeured by a teetotaller, started off at 8am with the first pint of the day at Belfast's Europa Hotel.

The next stop on the journey was at Murtagh's Pub in Newry, which was forced to close down after the building of a bypass.

After paying their respects they took a souvenir and started back on the road.

The intrepid explorers stopped off at various hostelries in Dundalk, Castlebellingham, Monasterboice and Balbriggan before finally making it to Dublin 24 hours later.

Along the way the trio ran into countless characters, including opera singers in search of the early morning cure and post-wedding parties eager to give early morning impromptu performances of Riverdance.

"The road movie wasn't about how much we could drink but was more about how people and places have changed," Mr Kinnaird said.

"In some ways it was also a social experiment in seeing how alcohol changed people's points of view as the journey progressed.

"Hopefully the result is a comedy road trip about three Belfast boys trying to recapture their youth and not behaving too badly along the way."

The Old Road to Dublin will premier at the Galway Fleadh Film Festival this weekend and Mr Kinnaird said he hoped that it could get picked up by a major film distributor.

"There are a number of big American companies who are going to be at the festival, so who knows what might happen?" he said.

"It's so hard to get a film on to the big screen these days, especially one about three guys driving from Belfast to Dublin stopping in every pub along the way.

"But if Thelma and Louise can do it, then why can't we?"

full back

Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 29, 2009, 11:40:27 AM
Has anyone seen 'In the Loop' yet?  Its the film version of TV's 'The Thick of It' and has James Galdofini in it.  Looks good.

Anyone seen this?
Heard good reviews about it

Carmen Stateside

Just seen Bruno.  Something similar to Borat and just as funny.
You know it has been good when the crowd are still laughing on their way out.

Family guy

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on July 11, 2009, 02:25:51 AM
Just seen Bruno.  Something similar to Borat and just as funny.
You know it has been good when the crowd are still laughing on their way out.

Must have a game this weekend when your at the cinema on a friday nite  ;)

Shortso79

Saw Bruno also

Very funny - took a while to get into it - some raw scenes lol

ziggysego

Just back from seeing Bruno. Good film, with some laugh out loud moments. However I didn't think it was near as funny as Borat was. Some scenes where hard to watch though.... very graphic.
Testing Accessibility

longball

Went to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince yesterday.
I enjoyed it... obviously its more of a builder for the final two movies.
BTW does anyone know what the last two movies are called considering they both based on the book 'the deathly hallows' are they both gonna be named with this title?

milltown row

watching the Gauntlet, Clint was using the blow torch, very poorly i might add

longball

Took the woman to see 'My sisters keeper' last nite. Omagh Cinema bes packed on a wednesday nite why is this. we had to queue for 15 minutes! anyway in fairness the movie was very good. never seen so many grown women cry at a film before!

leenie

i'm no good at watching horror films on my own, but last sat nite decided to have a quiet one so myself and mr leenie decided to watch the skeleton key... i had myself all geared up to be scared shitless..... lights out, fire etc..... only thing that scared me was when his phone went off....

thought the film was a load of dung....

2 hrs wasted that i'll never get back!!!!!!

any suggestions of real scary horror films ... more ghostly than gruesome ?
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

pintsofguinness

Quote from: leenie on July 23, 2009, 06:25:45 PM

i'm no good at watching horror films on my own, but last sat nite decided to have a quiet one so myself and mr leenie decided to watch the skeleton key... i had myself all geared up to be scared shitless..... lights out, fire etc..... only thing that scared me was when his phone went off....

Ghost
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Archie Mitchell

Have you seen 2 girls 1 cup? It's quite gruesome  :o

tbrick18

Quote from: leenie on July 23, 2009, 06:25:45 PM

I thought "The Ring" was very good as a horror. Havent seen to many of the recent horrors but I think most of them are gruesome.
The Devils Advocate was good for an oldie. Pacino is class in it.
The origina Psycho.
The first two Omen films....scared the crap out of me when I was a kid and I saw the first one again there a few months ago...still a goodan.
White Noise was good too...with Michael Keaton.

tyrone girl

IT  - Steven King

Havnt watched it in years but used to scare the shyte out of me when i was younger

Watched Perfect stranger on sky last night good show

Mad to see my sisters keeper , might persueade someone to go with me at wknd